Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TRBorslien View Post
    Hey Mike,

Looking to replace my Kumho Ecsta rear very soon. I know the fronts on earlier Spyders were a different size so I want to make sure about the rear. Will the Riken Raptor HR 215/60-15 fit on my 2012 RT?
    Apologies if you already answered this, but I didn't see it in any of the Riken posts. TIA!

P.S. Love, love, love the Vredestein Quatrac 5's on the front!
    ...... read what Ron just posted ( #25 ) ..... and glad you Looooooooooooooooooove the Quatrac's ....Mike Folks here who bought and mounted that Riken are also very happy with it ....especially at that price ....

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ron and Mike!

I will order a Riken Raptor and I always appreciate the advice you both provide.
    Tony

2012 RT-S SE5 - Viper Red
    Castle Atom SV Tarmac Modular Helmets
    Sena SMH5 Headsets
    Ultraguard Half Cover
    Hopnel Luggage: Frunk, Top Case, and Saddlebags
    Big Bike Parts Short Spiral Antenna
    Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15 Rear Tire - Got almost 18,000 miles before replacement with Riken Raptor
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 165/65R-14 Front Tires
    BajaRon Spark Plugs and Wires
    EBC Rear Pads and Rotor from BajaRon
    Riken Raptor HR 215/60-15 Rear Tire

Future Plans:
    2013 Cooling Kit
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    High-Mount Brake Light
    2012 RT-S , Viper Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    MNF3, the tire rating of 1477# @ 44psi = 33.57#/psi. ...
    I like your train of thought, but please be aware that it's not quite a linear relationship. That is, there is some strength in the empty tire, and additional air will add to it.

That said, your formula is close, and is also the foundation for figuring recommended pressures for tires that are not rated at 44 psi.

Also, while this formula may not give you the exact pressure to run, it will at least give you an idea where to start.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    I like your train of thought, but please be aware that it's not quite a linear relationship. That is, there is some strength in the empty tire, and additional air will add to it.

That said, your formula is close, and is also the foundation for figuring recommended pressures for tires that are not rated at 44 psi.

Also, while this formula may not give you the exact pressure to run, it will at least give you an idea where to start.

Absolutely; The intercept is not zero, so it's just a way to get a reasonable starting pressure. How it handles, wears and rides are the biggest factors -- and checking the pressure rise as the tire warms is another good indicator. I think it's a move from "...in my experience..." to a SWAG that at least uses the specific tire's specifications and load.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

I’ll see what kind of pressure rise I get with 18psi. I didn’t get a chance to check it at 20psi when we were at SITO.
    2016 F3-T , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MNF3 View Post
    I’ll see what kind of pressure rise I get with 18psi. I didn’t get a chance to check it at 20psi when we were at SITO.
    Just to clarify, the PSI's that both Peter and I recommend are based on the Normal rise in pressure caused by heat from Riding your Spyder...... Peter & I rely on TIRE SCIENCE ...... not " feeling's " ..... good luck .... Mike