Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Extra fuel idea - what do you think?

Hey folks, I have an idea and what to run it by the expert minds we have here on the forum. I have been considering ways to carry extra fuel for longer runs and for peace of mind. Some carry fuel on the back seat, some on the rear luggage rack, etc. What about using the rear floor boards? (assuming no passenger) Rotopax makes these great fuel containers in 1, 1.75, 2 and 3 gallons that have the ability to lock to a mount. They are designed to be mounted externally to Jeeps, ATVs and even offroad bikes so they are certainly rugged enough for a floorboard installation. The key would be developing a mount that would attach to the rear floorboard. I have looked under the rear floorboard and there are two screws that might be able to be used. One could develop an "L" shaped bracket in which one side would fit under the floorboard and the vertical portion would engineered to have a hole that would accept the Rotopax locking mechanism. The floorboards are certainly strong enough to hold 3 pounds of fuel on each side. This solution would keep fuel smells from your clothes and still allow you all the room you need to pack the other parts of the Spyder.

I have posted some very crude pictures to give you more ideas.
    * underside of floorboard
    * crude cardboard to show what the bracket may look like
    * cardboard with a Round Up bottle to show how it would fit
    * gas tank on the floor board. I don't own an Rotobax container
    * Rotopax mounted to a motorcycle - to show that people do this
    * Rotopax with an "L" mount, though this would have to be reproduced for our application

Lastly, I spoke to a guy at Spyder Extras and he said that if there is interest, he would consider manufacturing an "L" plate like I am talking about. Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Not a bad idea. My only concern is how substantial are the two screws under the floorboard? I know the floorboard will be supporting the weight, but if a sideways action happens such as accidently hitting the container with a foot or something will those screws hold up to that force being applied? Something to prevent the container from contacting the paint would be in order as well. Paint durability on new vehicles including Spyders is pretty pathetic wouldn't take long for the container to rub the paint away. Maybe remove the floorboard entirely and use that mounting point for a bracket. That is a pretty strong mounting point.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Not a bad idea. My only concern is how substantial are the two screws under the floorboard? I know the floorboard will be supporting the weight, but if a sideways action happens such as accidently hitting the container with a foot or something will those screws hold up to that force being applied? Something to prevent the container from contacting the paint would be in order as well. Paint durability on new vehicles including Spyders is pretty pathetic wouldn't take long for the container to rub the paint away. Maybe remove the floorboard entirely and use that mounting point for a bracket. That is a pretty strong mounting point.
    " Screws " ????? .... I just adjusted mine for a short rider ..... I used a socket that was 13mm ...... my RT doesn't have screws ..... good luck .... Also you live in Tn. I've traveled thu that State. .... I don't recall finding gas even at night as being an issue ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's a good idea, I think. I'm just not sure there are that many of us who carry extra fuel. Maybe a poll is in order.

I don't understand how your bracket would differ from the one shown in #5.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-23-2022 at 09:23 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Yes I thought about the paint issue. With the lock that Rotopax provides, the can would hug the bracket and not touch the paint.

Blueknight911 - yes, fuel in TN is easy to get. But I do travel and i like getting remote.

Concerning the bottom screws, I had that same thought. Not sure if strong enough. But I supposed an engineer could find a reinforcement mechanism of some sort, even if bracing at a 3rd point.

Lastly, the bracket I showed in pic 5 is from some place in Australia. Sooooo, I don't think I will be trying out that one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default L-bracket made in Utah

Last edited by UtahPete; 08-23-2022 at 10:15 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I really like the idea. I have run out of gas one time and was rescued by a"Good Sameritan". I would not like to try and depend on that bit of luck very often. I already carry a 1 gal jug of water (motojug.com) on one floor board so it shouldn't be too hard to rig up a carrier. As I remember from the website Rotopax has several several different bracket types or an L bracket is not that hard to make. If you don' t have screws under your floor boords drill a couple of holes a put some in.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Rotopax.jpg
    On the '20 RT Base model I mounted the rotopax on the rear deck for my 6100 loop to Yellowstone last spring.
    Note my avatar pic with the can inside a helmet bag.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Rotopax.jpg
    On the '20 RT Base model I mounted the rotopax on the rear deck for my 6100 loop to Yellowstone last spring.
    That's my intent.

Gasoline is lighter than water (6#/gal vs 8.4)
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    Lastly, the bracket I showed in pic 5 is from some place in Australia. Sooooo, I don't think I will be trying out that one.
    Thats a Rotopax L-bracket, made in Utah for $39.99. Would your design be different in some way?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Gloom and doom here.

I would be worried about what happens if someone else hits that part of the bike. I would be afraid of a conflagration happining.

The good side, most of the country has gas stations much less than 100 miles from each other. I know there are places, (TX, AK, etc.) that may not. I have never run out of gas, but came very close on the AK highway by Destruction Bay in the Yukon Territories.

The gas can you show does not seem to be a "safety" type.

Back to the original intent of the thread.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On the '20 RT Base model I mounted the rotopax on the rear deck for my 6100 loop to Yellowstone last spring. Note my avatar pic with the can inside a helmet bag.
    I didn't think that avatar pic was taken in NJ somehow
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-23-2022 at 10:45 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

But Pete and I both live in the west and many of us travel extensively in the west and gas stations many times are not that close together or one you used use is no longer in business or closed early. Yes we learn early in our riding careers to take the chance to fill up when it presents itself but occasionally we forget or miscalculate or whatever and it becomes longer then our tanks can reach.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    But Pete and I both live in the west and many of us travel extensively in the west and gas stations many times are not that close together or one you used use is no longer in business or closed early. Yes we learn early in our riding careers to take the chance to fill up when it presents itself but occasionally we forget or miscalculate or whatever and it becomes longer then our tanks can reach.
    So far, despite my best intentions, I have experienced this 4 times on the Spyder, most recently in SW Wyoming. Have been saved twice by good Samaritans, once by the spare fuel I carried, and the fourth time I had to push the bike down the shoulder of the freeway 1/4 mile mile, at night, in the rain when no-one stopped to help, not even a Utah State Trooper!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

If I felt the need for extra gas, I would probably just strap something to my rack on the top case but the floorboards would probably work as well. You'll figure something out I'm sure.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The one gal units on the floorboards is a good idea, here is another,
    Get a trailer hitch receiver and a small rack and put your gas can on it out back
    away from your legs, exhaust & engine you could easily carry 2 gal 3 gal even 5 gal.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    The one gal units on the floorboards is a good idea, here is another,
    Get a trailer hitch receiver and a small rack and put your gas can on it out back
    away from your legs, exhaust & engine you could easily carry 2 gal 3 gal even 5 gal.
    I've considered that, Dave, but that hitch bounces a lot more than the floorboards.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry but I have to oppose the idea and the practice of carrying extra gas in any container other than the OEM gas tank. Accidents however unintended do happen. An impact fracturing an exposed container of fuel and the risk of igniting if a driver or passenger were splashed would be unthinkable and NEVER be worth the risk. An incident like that wouldn't be worth a lifetime of enjoyment of owning and riding a spyder or motorcycle. I've carried extra fuel in the past but I no longer do. I've found that careful planning is far safer than exposing yourself or passenger to the horrable risk that can result from injury and fire. Preplanning is your best investment in any function you engage in. Safety always first.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Sorry but I have to oppose the idea and the practice of carrying extra gas in any container other than the OEM gas tank. Accidents however unintended do happen. An impact fracturing an exposed container of fuel and the risk of igniting if a driver or passenger were splashed would be unthinkable and NEVER be worth the risk. An incident like that wouldn't be worth a lifetime of enjoyment of owning and riding a spyder or motorcycle. I've carried extra fuel in the past but I no longer do. I've found that careful planning is far safer than exposing yourself or passenger to the horrable risk that can result from injury and fire. Preplanning is your best investment in any function you engage in. Safety always first.
    The Rotopax containers do mitigate that risk somewhat. They're double wall roto-molded vs single wall blow-molded, which is why they're so expensive.

But, as a former LEO, I'm sure you have some very good reasons for feeling that way.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-23-2022 at 04:51 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I echo 2dogs sentiment. Accidents can, and do, happen and can be caused by you, or the other driver. Know your ultimate location and PLAN ACCORDINGLY. In all the years that I have been riding....first was in 1959, I have NEVER run out of fuel. If you have a section that is iffy for distance ....... ease up on the throttle, you don’t need to be WFO all of the time!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Map route reconnaissance and planning will never lose its prudence.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Map route reconnaissance and planning will never lose its prudence.
    Or lead to new discoveries and adventure
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Many, many, adventure and long distance riders do add modified, engineered extra fuel tanks to a number of different style motorcycles, you might check in the Long Distance forums, though I carry a Reda Innovations Spare can in my Spyder on my Iron Butt Rides, The Reda rides in my trunk, inside an extreme duty ZipLock type bag, and I've never had a spill or problem with it. https://www.reda.co/reda-gas-can

Reda Gas Can.jpg
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I'd have to oppose the idea. Ask yourself, is the risk worth the reward? With today's technology there should be a very slim chance of running out of gas. GPS, Google Maps, etc. you can pinpoint your position and destination right down to the foot. I wouldn't like my chances in a crash to begin with and then to add liquid propellant to the equation would be just asking for a bad ending.
    There's a lot of bling, add-ons and accessories for our Spyders to choose from. I'd leave the gas cans in the garage.

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

Rotopax.jpg
    Note my avatar pic with the can inside a helmet bag.
    I like this but then I lose all my storage in my rear case. I am thinking about long trips when I need the storage space too.