Spyder Garage

Default New helmet and vendor love

Just purchased a new modular LS2 size XL from MotorcycleGear.com and wanted to recommend both.

I had narrowed my search of the newer modular helmets down to two Scorpion (my current favorite and old standby for fit and features) Modulars, the EXO GT930 and EXO AT950, nether of which come in my preferred silver, but would likely fit in my usual size large; and a third choice the LS2 Valiant II size large, which is probably the most feature rich new modular.

MotorcycleGear.com (McG) allows ordering multiple items to try and will ship returns back for $8.99 utilizing a customer printable UPS label. I ordered all three helmets to try for fit and personal visual appeal. Note that there are no outlets near in North San Diego county that have these helmets available. McG does state in their faq that a return of all items in a shipment will require the customer to pay for shipping. Seems reasonable.

All helmets arrived and the Scorpions both fitted great, as expected. Their colors, however did not meet my hopes, unfortunately as expected. The LS2, although based on sizing shown (identical to the Scorpion) did not fit well, it was just a bit narrower and caused pressure that I felt would not be relieved by “wearing in”. Disappointed, I called McG and asked if I might order a fourth helmet (LS2 XL) and return the original order of three, without incurring shipping if I kept the fourth? The nice young lady checked with her manager and said that would be fine.

The result is that I found the LS2 XL Valiant II to fit great and have greatly enjoyed the great design for the last 2 weeks of use. I’ve ridden some (sparsely travelled country roads) with the chin bar up, and other rides with it down. Illustrating design, riding with the chin bar up and just the sun visor down shows there must have been wind testing not done with my current Scorpion full face, that the LS2 folks did. The Scorpion allows air to lightly swirl under the sun visor up into the eyes (just a bit) and the LS2 shape prevents that. So far, I’d have to say of the UK design, Brilliant!

Oh, and it fits in the F3 frunk with the chin bar either down or up…

Kudos to MotorcycleGear.com for their customer service (my refund was in the bank less than a week after my 3 helmet return) and to LS2 for a great new helmet.

Ryde on!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-22-2022 at 10:51 PM. Reason: MGc - McG = M-otor c-ycle G-ear %-)

Spyder daily driver - 2015 F3S magnesium - grocery getter
    BajaRon swaybar, Shad sidecases and Givi top case with Admore kits, adjustable brake rod, LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, FOBO TPMS, F4 Customs windscreen and bump skid
    Front Tires - 175/55R-15 Yokohama AVID S34FA SL
    Rear - General Altima RT45

Spyder touring buddy (White-Whale) - 2018 RTL pearlescent white - set up for touring and local dates with SWMBO.
    LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, Spyder cuff, FOBO TPMS, driver adjustable backrest, rear view mirror LED turn signals, and Eastern Beaver PC-8R fuse box. Baja Ron Ultra Sway Bar on the way.

Front Tires - Stock Kendas

Other motorcycle transport - 2010 Honda NT700VA Deauville and assorted vintage Japanese bikes

Spyder Garage

I'm envious. I also purchased the Valiant II and even though I went 2 sizes larger, I could never get it to stop putting undue pressure on my forehead. It is a great helmet at a great price.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Getting the right fit can be a hassle, especially when you can't try it on in the store. I'm glad to see the online vendors are stepping into that issue.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Interestingly my Valiant is replacing an old Nolan modular that gave me a constant itch on the forehead. I definitely paid attention to the forehead fit, and feels great, so far..

As for vendors, in addition to their try on policy, McG was the only place I found stock of the helmets I was interested in. I’ve used Revzilla many times, but everything I look at from them recently is “Out of Stock”..
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-22-2022 at 10:52 PM. Reason: MGc - McG = M-otor c-ycle G-ear %-)

Spyder daily driver - 2015 F3S magnesium - grocery getter
    BajaRon swaybar, Shad sidecases and Givi top case with Admore kits, adjustable brake rod, LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, FOBO TPMS, F4 Customs windscreen and bump skid
    Front Tires - 175/55R-15 Yokohama AVID S34FA SL

Spyder touring buddy (White-Whale) - 2018 RTL pearlescent white - set up for touring and local dates with SWMBO.
    LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, Spyder cuff, FOBO TPMS, driver adjustable backrest, rear view mirror LED turn signals, and Eastern Beaver PC-8R fuse box. Baja Ron Ultra Sway Bar on the way.

Front Tires - Stock Kendas

Other motorcycle transport - 2010 Honda NT700VA Deauville and assorted vintage Japanese bikes

Spyder Garage

I also have a LS2 Valiant II and it is my go-to travel helmet. I also had to go up (1) size. I ordered mine from Amazon, but I have also had good luck with Motorcycle Gear on some jacket orders.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I also have the LS2 Variant II and had the forehead itch and unsightly lines embedded after riding for a few hours. Problem solved by using a piece of foam cut to size and placing under the lining in the top portion of the helmet relieving the pressure on the forehead. Trial and error with getting the correct foam density that was the most effective. Now I can ride for hours and hours with no issue. Love the helmet....

Spyder Garage

Sorry for off topic. But it brings back memories. Worked for Ramona Fire for several years. My sister still lives in The Estates. Hiked Mt. Woodson on a regular basis. It was good times.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    I'm envious. I also purchased the Valiant II and even though I went 2 sizes larger, I could never get it to stop putting undue pressure on my forehead. It is a great helmet at a great price.
    I have the HJC-i30 helmet and had the same issue of it pressing against my forehead. It gave me terrible headaches after a short while. I ended up taking a ballpeen hammer and rounding the forehead out a bit. I know it's not recommended but it worked.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    I have the HJC-i30 helmet and had the same issue of it pressing against my forehead. It gave me terrible headaches after a short while. I ended up taking a ballpeen hammer and rounding the forehead out a bit. I know it's not recommended but it worked.
    After doing some Googling I found this recommendation as well (although I used the back side of a tablespoon). I just could not relieve the pressure. Believe me I wanted it to work. It is a fantastic modular helmet with the best features/mechanicals for the price out there.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!