Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I know where you are coming from, Don. My strut worked just fine with my stock ‘21 seat, so I couldn’t remove the latch as it would lift when I dismounted. However, with the much heavier Daylong seat, the strut wouldn’t lift it, which is when I removed the latch.

Pete
    Pete I've mentioned this a number of times ..... the LATCH has more then one purpose ..... besides as a seat LOCK it also positions the seat in relation to the tupperware and the rear hinge bolts ..... I just stuffed a small piece of construction foam into the latch to keep it open ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-28-2022 at 01:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Pete I've mentioned this a number of times ..... the LATCH has more then one purpose ..... besides as a seat LOCK it also positions the seat in relation to the tupperware and the rear hinge bolts ..... I just stuffed a small piece of construction foam into the latch to keep it open ..... good luck .... Mike
    Thanks, Mike…..I phrased that badly…..I did not remove the whole latch….sorry.
    The 20+ RT, with its two separate seats is a slightly different setup to the earlier models, with the drivers seat held firmly in position at the rear. Plus, I still have the seat post inserted into the base when the seat is down. It’s just that I have disengaged the locking catch.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 08-29-2022 at 04:00 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

My 2014 RTS strut for the seat did that. I took it off, got the part# off of it and went on Google and looked it up and got the specs. for it. Then, I went on Ebay and found a replacement for about $15 and replaced it. That was over 2 years ago. Still working just like new!
    2014 RT-S SM6 , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

GoldenSpyder, I'd call that some pretty good thinking right there. Kudos!

Spyder Garage

Replacing seat strut on 2021 Spyder RT Limited

Just got done replacing the seat strut. I ordered from McMaster.com part number 9416K14 #30 worked great no issues. Also installed without taking side panel off. Used 13mm open end wrench on top and short stubby 13mm from the bottom laying on the floor.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-07-2023 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Moved Post title - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Seat strut replacement??

I found on another site this strut for RT seat strut. They have different lifting pressures. Not sure if it can be used for the top case lid with a different lift pressure.

Amazon c16-02622 17 inch 28LB
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-07-2023 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Moved Post title after merge - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

As long as it more than the one you take off it's good to go!! I may not put a 100lb one in place of a 15lb if the hinges aren't good enough to take the pressure!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

They have different pressures . I saw a 50 LB one

Does anyone know what size they use for the top case. If it is 17 inches it is good to go.
    Last edited by tntnj; 10-07-2023 at 07:59 AM. Reason: added info

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

Why pay?
    WARRANTY Item and it's not like you need to LEAVE the bike.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Thanks, Mike…..I phrased that badly…..I did not remove the whole latch….sorry.
    The 20+ RT, with its two separate seats is a slightly different setup to the earlier models, with the drivers seat held firmly in position at the rear. Plus, I still have the seat post inserted into the base when the seat is down. It’s just that I have disengaged the locking catch.

Pete
    Thanks Pete for the idea! I'm having a Russell seat made this December, already thought the shock would not be strong enough to hold it, so I also pulled the top bolt off and disconnected the key latch. I used a short piece of 1/4" drip hose, heated the end so it would go over the ferule and tucked it into the corner. Easy to remove later if I choose. I then cut a length of 1/2" hose to hold the seat up. Found a place to tuck it under the seat. Easier to fuel and deal with oil changes.

IMG_3993.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-28-2023 at 06:43 PM. Reason: feral... ;-)
    2021 RT LT

Spyder Garage

My 2022 S2S suffers the same problem, from the day they delivered it, next spring I'll get it to the dealer and have it replaced.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey Jaun, I had my 2020 RT Ltd front seat strut replaced under warranty, the warranty replacement failed as quickly as the OEM that was replaced. So I rode 100 miles to a dealer, wasted almost a full day. Needless to say, I'm not doing that again. I'm guessing that BRP has thousands of these crummy supports they have to dump. Right now I have a wood prop I store under the seat which works every time. If I tire of the stick prop, I'll buy an aftermarket strut that I know will work and install it myself.

Spyder Garage

Bartender, I replaced one on my 2018 RTL. Got mine at AUTOZONE, they cross referenced from the stock number.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-12-2023 at 09:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

My original seat strut for my 2020RT limited worked marginally, until I added a gel pack to the seat at which point the seat strut failed to function.
    I had a similar issue with the trunk strut. The trunk strut worked well until I added a luggage rack.
    I added a helper spring to the trunk rack and now it works fine.
    A helper spring for the seat strut proved to be infeasible.
    I bought the new seat strut from Pierre's shop in Canada.
    https://www.canamspyderaccessories.com/
    Here's a link to the strut
    https://www.canamspyderaccessories.c...up-seat-shock/
    The strut was delivered in less than two weeks. High quality, and it really does the job. Installing it is a bit fiddly, but doable in less than 90 minutes. Time well spent.
    That also included finding which screwdriver was the one to fit, which socket to fit, removing the rear seat, and then again replacing everything. If I ever do a second one, I'm sure I can do it in half the time.

My next feat of legerdemain will be replacing the stock OEM lead/acid battery with a new Lithium one, to get a far longer lasting battery.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong, and if I am, someone on this site will let me know.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 12-13-2023 at 03:48 AM. Reason: srut; + ;-)
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey