Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Seat Strut won't hold up seat - any non-OEM replacements?

Brand new 2022 Sea to Sky RTL. Seat strut won't hold up front seat to gas the vehicle. I have seen other posts on the two piece seat of 2020+ RT's having the same problem. Has anyone found the correct replacement non OEM that will hold the seat up? Bike with 500 miles on it and I have to stuff a glove under the hinge to hold up the seat. Otherwise love the bike.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Did it ever hold the seat up? If it did, I would see if it falls under warranty! If you haven't added anything to your seat, like a sheep skin cover, being new it should be holding it up!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

It never held the seat up, but this appears to be a common complaint of 2020+ owners. Nothing added to the seat or sitting on it to increase weight. I assume the factory strut is just not sufficient to hold the seat, since this appears to be a recurring complaint. I have noticed other posters indicating the same problem and referencing non-OEM replacement struts with stronger lift. I am looking for usable part numbers for replacement struts that are known to work. Thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-21-2022 at 08:52 PM. Reason: has... ;-)
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    It never held the seat up but this appears to be a common complaint of 2020+ owners. Nothing added to the seat or sitting on it to increase weight. I assume the factory strut is just not sufficient to hold the seat, since this appears to be a recurring complaint. I have noticed other posters indicating the same problem and referencing non-OEM replacement struts with stronger lift. I am looking for usable part numbers for replacement struts that are known to work. Thanks.
    This is one of the reasons I just swapped out to a rigid strut that would lay down next to the frame ..... Good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-21-2022 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

On my 2012 RT I went to either Auto zone or Advance Auto, I think the part # was 1844
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-21-2022 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Caps

Spyder Garage

Wow Bartender, that’s not good. My 2021 held the seat up well until I put a Daylong seat on, then it was useless.

This does not solve your specific issue, but like Mike, I disconnected the gas strut and hold the seat up with a long t hex driver that I keep in my glove box. It works a treat and gives me more room to fill up, too. Just as an aside, I also tied the seat latch open so I never have to worry about pulling in to a gas station and being able to unlatch the seat to fill up.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Take that Spyder to the dealership, tell them that the Shock Absorber, PN 704803221, the same shock absorber for all 2022 RT Limiteds, will not hold the seat up when you are refueling. Tell them to open a case with BRP and to come up with a shock or Gaz Shock, or whatever they want to call it and tell them it is a safety hazard during refueling that you want them to fix it. If BRP will not come up with a shock strong enough and the proper length, tell them that the next thing you are going to do is file a complaint with the NTSB. It's a bloody warranty issue and BRP cannot dodge it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

They can be purchased from McMaster Carr, I have posted part numbers in another thread on here somewhere. Did you do a search on here?
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

My 2021 has never held itself open either.
    My wife and I shoot Cowboy Action and a long wooden spoon had already given up its life to become a cartridge pusher for loading her rifle (cut the handle down and the ladle becomes a gripping area with the "now" short stub of a dowel for pushing cartridges into the magazine tube).
    The remaining length of dowel became a prop rod that rides under the seat until needed.
    Opens the seat further than the strut for easier filling and I have eliminated a failure point - easy as that and I dont have to deal with my dealer for something this minor.
    If Im going to battle with my dealer or BRP - Ill save my effort for something big.
    2021 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

See this thread. In post number 19 I listed some part numbers. You might want to read the whole thread.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=McMaster+Carr

Spyder Garage

Same issue with my 22. Dealer is replacing under warranty next. I’ll follow up if it solves the problem or not.

2022 RTL HyperSilver
    2018 Honda Goldwing Tour White
    2022 RTL , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

Mine has always worked as intended. If it did not I would probably have the dealer fix it. Then I would take Mike's advice and add a prop rod.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I went on amazon and bought cabinet shocks and added a second one on the other side of the seat. I have a sheepskin cover and needed the extra lift. They are the 9 lb shocks.40N/9 lb 6 inch Length Gas... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09W35L7BP...p_mob_ap_sharehttp://40N/9 lb 6 inch Length Gas......p_mob_ap_share
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 08-23-2022 at 05:39 AM.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Joel, struts look like they will do the job without breaking the bank. How difficult were they to install? My OEM strut failed on the RTL 2020 soon after I bought it, replaced under warranty The replacement is really not adequate for refueling so my partner usually holds the freaking thing up to facilitate a refuel. I'm thinking simple, cut a wood dial rod to length for a prop and leave it under the seat. I read the thread that Shooter posted earlier, man what a hassle to get something that works. Seems this should elementary engineering for BRP to install a seat strut that works. Oh well, it is what it is.

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem with my 2022 RTL with the seat strut and the rear cargo lid strut. Both were replace under warranty and the issue solved. BRP must have gotten a bad batch of struts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I suppose that possible, but I'll be danged if I'll go through all that warranty BS again. Half a day to take it in so they can open a case or whatever they do, go home and schedule another 'timely' visit to get the work done. Certainly not bitching here, jus saying what I'm not willing to do and that's OK, it's on me. I can just go out and cut a stick in 3 mins to hold the seat up. :-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    I suppose that possible, but I'll be danged if I'll go through all that warranty BS again. Half a day to take it in so they can open a case or whatever they do, go home and schedule another 'timely' visit to get the work done. Certainly not bitching here, jus saying what I'm not willing to do and that's OK, it's on me. I can just go out and cut a stick in 3 mins to hold the seat up. :-)
    I totally agree 100%. For me I had rather just bite the bullet and do it my self.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    See this thread. In post number 19 I listed some part numbers. You might want to read the whole thread.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=McMaster+Carr
    Thanks to @K80Shooter, for finding replacement piston at McMaster-Carr and passing it on to us. I bought the piston he suggested and installed it yesterday on my 2020 RT-S...works great! I was able to change it out without removing any Tupperware, so wanted to share that info here.
    1. remove the rear seat;
    2. remove the 8mm screw from the strut's eye at the front seat's arm. The front seat will then fold back to the top case.
    3. Pop off the ball end of the piston (I used a long pick, like the ones used to remove O-rings, etc. (photo is the one I used) . It must be long enough to stick above the side of the body. The ball-socket-end of the piston has a flat spring into which the pick is inserted -see photo at arrow-(you only have to insert the tip and that's enough to open the clip's jaws which hold it onto the ball on the frame. The piston will pop off.
    4. remove the eye end and the ball socket end and screw them onto the new piston.
    Install the new piston in reverse order.
    See photos below.
    It's a bit fiddly to do without removing any Tupperware, but once you see how it works, it's truly a simple job...just takes more words to describe than to actually do it.

I'll offer a caution that the front seat arms are a bit flimsy (which is likely why Can Am used such a weak piston), and I used a 30lb rated piston. With the piston mounted near the back of the seat, pushing down on the front of the seat creates a long lever arm, so I'll be pushing down about 3/4 back on the seat to apply pressure near the attachment point of the piston.

IMG_6674.jpg
    IMG_6675.jpg
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

My '21 RTL works fine, and with the "comfort" seat. If the dealer is not a long drive away, make them order a new strut (be prepared to wait months) and CALL you when it comes in.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here is a picture of the booster strut installed. It is a lot of work to install it.

IMG_20220826_161121317.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-26-2022 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Fixed multiple attach display %-)
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Here is a picture of the booster strut installed. It is a lot of work to install it.
    Yeah, that was one of the reasons I went with the simple top bolt disconnect and manual support bar, Joel.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Ok, have a 2021 RT Limited and have a cow hide seat cover, strut is very weak and will not hold seat up! So after reading the posts about McMasters-Carr strut and eyelet, I ordered one. My concern is that I have removed the latch so the seat just lifts up without having to turn the key, the strut I have coming shows 80lbs? Was not aware of this until after the order was finished! Anyway, will the strut hold the seat up all the time? Might have to reattach the latch to hold seat down! Any suggestions other than not watching what I ordered? Thinking a 30lb strut would have worked better?

Ok, update on this post. Sent McMasters a quick email and they were great! They are sending out a 30lb strut and paying the postage. I get to keep the 80lb strut also! Great service!
    Last edited by Don60; 08-26-2022 at 08:33 PM.
    2021 Spyder RT-L - Asphalt Grey
    • Vredestein tires all around
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster tire balancing rings/front
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • Lamonster belt tensioner
    • K and N air filter
    • Rear cowl - in place when you remove rear box

Spyder Garage

The dealer wrote a ticket up for my replacement and will get it to BRP when the cyber mess is over. Let them take care of you.

Steve
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    Ok, have a 2021 RT Limited and have a cow hide seat cover, strut is very weak and will not hold seat up! So after reading the posts about McMasters-Carr strut and eyelet, I ordered one. My concern is that I have removed the latch so the seat just lifts up without having to turn the key, the strut I have coming shows 80lbs? Was not aware of this until after the order was finished! Anyway, will the strut hold the seat up all the time? Might have to reattach the latch to hold seat down! Any suggestions other than not watching what I ordered? Thinking a 30lb strut would have worked better?

Ok, update on this post. Sent McMasters a quick email and they were great! They are sending out a 30lb strut and paying the postage. I get to keep the 80lb strut also! Great service!
    McMaster Carr is a top notch company.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    My concern is that I have removed the latch so the seat just lifts up without having to turn the key, the strut I have coming shows 80lbs? Was not aware of this until after the order was finished! Anyway, will the strut hold the seat up all the time? Might have to reattach the latch to hold seat down!
    I know where you are coming from, Don. My strut worked just fine with my stock ‘21 seat, so I couldn’t remove the latch as it would lift when I dismounted. However, with the much heavier Daylong seat, the strut wouldn’t lift it, which is when I removed the latch.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.