Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Is there any other way of disengaging cruise control?

Is there any other way to cancel cruise cont other than hitting brakes or switching completely off? My previous bikes 2018 goldwing, 2017 and 2013 StreetGlides you could roll off the throttle or touch the paddle shifter or clutch lever. I don' t like the idea of people thinking I'm stopping when all I want is to coast a little with out other drivers thinking I'm braking.

Sorry the bike is 2022 Spyder RT.

Thanks, Ron
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-20-2022 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Caps & Expanded Title to briefly ask question %-)

Spyder Garage

if the 2022 is like my 2015 RT - move the cruise button right to turn on, left to cancel, down to set, up to resume speed.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-20-2022 at 12:31 AM. Reason: ,,,,,
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ron1026 View Post
    Is there any other way to cancel cruise cont other than hitting brakes or switching completely off? My previous bikes 2018 goldwing, 2017 and 2013 StreetGlides you could roll off the throttle or touch the paddle shifter or clutch lever. I don' t like the idea of people thinking I'm stopping when all I want is to coast a little with out other drivers thinking I'm braking.

Thanks, Ron
    If you shift it will cancel ..... until you re-activate it ...... I often do this coming into a curve that I want to accelerate out of ..... very smooth ...... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-20-2022 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

....... I don' t like the idea of people thinking I'm stopping when all I want is to coast a little with out other drivers thinking I'm braking.
    Why would you care Ron? If I were following you, I would think you were just slowing a bit to make the turn safely.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-20-2022 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

...... I don' t like the idea of people thinking I'm stopping when all I want is to coast a little with out other drivers thinking I'm braking.

I'd have thought it's probably better that they at least SEE your brake light flash & realise that you're doing something that might involve reducing your speed than they end up running up your clacker cos they had no warning you were coasting &/or otherwise reducing/cutting power, isn't it?!?

Most of the earlier discussions here are people trying to think of ways to actually LET people know they're potentially slowing rather than working out ways to avoid warning them?!?

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-20-2022 at 05:24 PM. Reason: doing??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I'd have thought it's probably better that they at least SEE your brake light flash & realise that you're doing something that might involve reducing your speed than they end up running up your clacker cos they had no warning you were coasting &/or otherwise reducing/cutting power, isn't it?!?

Most of the earlier discussions here are people trying to think of ways to actually LET people know they're potentially slowing rather than working out ways to avoid warning them?!?

Just Sayin'
    Ya like when nanny kicks in if lights activate or not Believe reading something negative about limp mode fails to activate brake or hazards but cuts Rpm immediately
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-20-2022 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

If I am coming up on the vehicle in front of me and the speed difference is not that great, I press down on the cruise a few times. This drops my speed 1 mph for each time I press down. I can scrub off 5 mph pretty quick with this method.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I wish my Spyder had the function of rolling the throttle forward to cancel. I miss this feature

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I leave mine on all the time. It is NOT always ACTIVATED though. Mine is used for highway and secondary road driving only. However, I am using it less than in AK. I like 40 mph cruising (without cruise control) on the twisties.

Linda never uses hers so it is ALWAYS off.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all replies, it seems what i'm trying to do is not available on this bike. Thanks for the input

Ron

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all replies, it seems what i'm trying to do is not available on this bike. Thanks for the input

Ron
    Not sure what you mean, Ron. Touch your paddle shift to move from 5th to 6th, or 6th to 5th, or whatever, and your cruise disengages. Thumb the cruise button back up to resume at your previous speed. Is that not what you are trying to do ?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I've also found that a light grazing of the brake pedal with the inboard side of my foot in a slight downward motion is an easy way to disengage CC. Yes there is a quick one time flash of the rear brake light which most motorists are now conditioned to recognize of a disengagement of the CC. Even with the rear brake light modulator I have installed, the light only flashes once -- unlike the three quick flashes then solid light if applying the brake.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Not sure what you mean, Ron. Touch your paddle shift to move from 5th to 6th, or 6th to 5th, or whatever, and your cruise disengages. Thumb the cruise button back up to resume at your previous speed. Is that not what you are trying to do ?

Pete
    I don't think so. On my prior cruise control equipped H-D and Triumph, simply rolling the throttle forward would disengage the cruise control, as did prior mentioned shifting/braking/turning off.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Read up on the cruise for my '85 Gold Wing Limited Edition. Honda mentions 18 ways to cancel the cruise. Do like rolling the throttle forward.

I have to mention that the Spyder cruise control is one of the best out there for uphill/downhill consistency. Most cars aren't as smooth.
    Last edited by Rednaxs60; 08-21-2022 at 09:01 AM.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post

Pete
    If I'm cruising along in sixth gear with cruise on all I want to do is disengage cruise without hitting brakes or the on/off button. I have tried hitting up paddle which does nothing, tried hitting downshift paddle and that does shut cruise off but it also downshifts to 5th gear which is not what I need.

Thanks Ron

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If I'm cruising along in sixth gear with cruise on all I want to do is disengage cruise without hitting brakes or the on/off button. I have tried hitting up paddle which does nothing, tried hitting downshift paddle and that does shut cruise off but it also downshifts to 5th gear which is not what I need.

Thanks Ron
    ...... personally I think you are looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ron
    Ahhhhh OK. That 6th to 5th works brilliantly for me as you hardly notice the rev change. We’re all different

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...... personally I think you are looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist ...... good luck .... Mike
    Didn't say it was a problem, just asking if there is a way of doing it on this bike.

Spyder Garage

Ron, I down shift when trying to accomplish what you describe for the same reason you mention.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-22-2022 at 06:03 AM. Reason: shiftbwhen %-)
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Ron
    When one taps the brake pedal to disengage the cruise control (on any so equipped vehicle), I don't think the driver behind you immediately thinks you are stopping, but thinks, "oh something may be happening and I better be ready." When I see a quick flash of a brake light on the vehicle in front of me, I take my foot off the accelerator, or throttle down on my Spyder so I can be ready if the vehicle is stopping or just slowing. So, I believe it is a safer maneuver to tap the brake pedal to disconnect cruise control for safety reasons. If you just slow down the driver behind may not realize you are slowing and run up veryclose or even strike the rear of your vehicle.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Didn't say it was a problem, just asking if there is a way of doing it on this bike.
    The cruise control is totally a software function controlled by the Engine Control Module, Vehicle Stability System, and Transmission Control Module. The right hand switch module with the CC switch is connected to the left hand module which generates the necessary digital signals and sends them out over the Canbus system. The off position disconnects all 4 wires going to the LH module. The only ordinary wiring that affects the CC is the brake light circuit. One of the ECM terminals is connected to the brake light circuit after the BL switch. When the brake is depressed it takes the terminal of the ECM to 12 volts (normally at ground) which triggers the off signal to the CC program. There is no easy way to take that terminal high without also powering the brake light.

Since the CC is an all digital system, and no provision is programmed into the system to generate an off command other than the brake switch, shift signal which is internal to the TCM, and the VSS in case of the Spyder misbehaving, there is no way to generate an off signal that is operator controlled except the brake and RH switch. All the modules communicate via the Canbus.

If you are up to some DIY work, and know electricity, what you could do is tap into a 12 volt source somewhere. Put a push button switch into the circuit and connect the wire from it to the wire between the ECM and the junction of the ECM to brake light wire. Put a diode into the ECM to brake light wire ahead of the junction. That way you can bring the ECM terminal high but not send current to the brake light. On the other hand, if you are a complete digital nerd you might be able to create a processor that can be connected to the Canbus and send the proper digital signal to turn off CC!

I know this probably is a lot more info than you wanted to know, but I share it to help you understand why there is no other option.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

As a long time rider (45 years) I agree with those who suggest the brake is the best way to dc the cruise control, if for no other reason than the brief flash of the brake lights will hopefully alert/remind any driver behind you that you are there and they need to be paying attention. There's no substitute for safety. You WANT those behind you to pay attention, just as you WANT to let them know and back off when you'll be turning by using your turn signals. Advocate for yourself on the road. ����

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The cruise control is totally a software function controlled by the Engine Control Module, Vehicle Stability System, and Transmission Control Module. The right hand switch module with the CC switch is connected to the left hand module which generates the necessary digital signals and sends them out over the Canbus system. The off position disconnects all 4 wires going to the LH module. The only ordinary wiring that affects the CC is the brake light circuit. One of the ECM terminals is connected to the brake light circuit after the BL switch. When the brake is depressed it takes the terminal of the ECM to 12 volts (normally at ground) which triggers the off signal to the CC program. There is no easy way to take that terminal high without also powering the brake light.

Since the CC is an all digital system, and no provision is programmed into the system to generate an off command other than the brake switch, shift signal which is internal to the TCM, and the VSS in case of the Spyder misbehaving, there is no way to generate an off signal that is operator controlled except the brake and RH switch. All the modules communicate via the Canbus.

If you are up to some DIY work, and know electricity, what you could do is tap into a 12 volt source somewhere. Put a push button switch into the circuit and connect the wire from it to the wire between the ECM and the junction of the ECM to brake light wire. Put a diode into the ECM to brake light wire ahead of the junction. That way you can bring the ECM terminal high but not send current to the brake light. On the other hand, if you are a complete digital nerd you might be able to create a processor that can be connected to the Canbus and send the proper digital signal to turn off CC!

I know this probably is a lot more info than you wanted to know, but I share it to help you understand why there is no other option.
    I appreciate all that info that you have given, the answer is on this bike that is the only way it can be done. Thats all I needed to know, I have had other bikes that was able to do that.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would not be at all surprised if BRP engineers considered this issue while the Spyder was being developed, and opted not to incorporate such a turn off function for the very same reasons so many here have offered, i.e., the value of seeing the brake light flash. I could be wrong but I suspect BRP engineers placed a much higher priority on rider safety than had been the norm in the motorcycle world up to that time.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I would not be at all surprised if BRP engineers considered this issue while the Spyder was being developed, and opted not to incorporate such a turn off function for the very same reasons so many here have offered, i.e., the value of seeing the brake light flash. I could be wrong but I suspect BRP engineers placed a much higher priority on rider safety than had been the norm in the motorcycle world up to that time.
    Good theory, but surely if that was the case, they wouldn’t have included the ability to simply downshift to turn off the CC and slow without showing brake lights, Idaho ?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.