Spyder Garage

Default Is the General Altimax RT45 an upgraded RT43?

Is this just an updated RT43? Listed at the same price on Tire Rack.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Well IMHO General tire hasn't up-dated the Altimax in a very long time ..... so I'm not surprised that it finally did ..... It is going to take a few months to get an honest " performance " picture for the new Altimax ..... I've posted elsewhere my review of the " RIKEN " tire I bought .... I rate it EXCELLENT and it's about $20.00 less than anything else worth putting on a Spyder ...... JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-17-2022 at 11:05 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well IMHO General tire hasn't up-dated the Altimax in a very long time ..... so I'm not surprised that it finally did ..... It is going to take a few months to get an honest " performance " picture for the new Altimax ..... I've posted elsewhere my review of the " RIKEN " tire I bought .... I rate it EXCELLENT and it's about $20.00 less than anything else worth putting on a Spyder ...... JMHO .... Mike
    I've been wondering about this Mike and this post sort of confirms what I have been wondering. You say it will take 'a few months' to evaluate this tire but you were recommending the Riken pretty much from the beginning based on price and Tirerack (and maybe other) reviews. Then I saw your definite recommendation of the Riken after your wet tests with less than a thousand miles on the tire. You really do seem to be the type of guy to do your due diligence, so the reason I wonder how you recommended the Riken so quickly. Care to illuminate me (us)?
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Due to the mass of positive reports, I have ordered an RT43. Only 8744 on the original Kenda rear and it is at the wear bars on the sides and the wear bars are almost gone near the center.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-18-2022 at 12:49 AM. Reason: rearm - rear ;-)
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    Due to the mass of positive reports, I have ordered an RT43. Only 8744 on the original Kenda rear and it is at wear bars on the sides and the wear bars almost gone near the center.
    I have been recommending the Altimax tire for a long long time .... and I still think " over-all " it's a great tire. .... The reason why my new tire is a RIKEN was PRICE ..... it's over-all performance ratings were very similar to the Altimax RT 43 and Michelin Cross Climate. ..... Now there is a NEW RT 43 .... it's the RT 45 ..... Folks, tire technology has been evolving since the first one created..... sometimes Newer is actually better ..... JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-18-2022 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    Due to the mass of positive reports, I have ordered an RT43. Only 8744 on the original Kenda rear and it is at the wear bars on the sides and the wear bars are almost gone near the center.

~~~based on your results PID, I should get another year out of my OEM rear tire. I’ve only accumulated 4K miles after 12 months ownership, my 2021 RTL, so that is good news for me, in that i wont have to bother swapping rubber on the rear rim. Thank you for posting this information

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood 😊
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    ~~~based on your results PID, I should get another year out of my OEM rear tire. I’ve only accumulated 4K miles after 12 months ownership, my 2021 RTL, so that is good news for me, in that i wont have to bother swapping rubber on the rear rim. Thank you for posting this information

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood ��
    No comment in regards to the RT43, the replacement RT45, or even the Riken on account of no experience riding those tires.

Offering to Shakin Jake, while you should be able to obtain those next 4000 miles on your current tire, consider too that the higher temps of the road surfaces here in Florida, plus the glass or shell filler they often add to the asphalt, tends to have the tires wear faster. The additional heat softens the tire more than other areas and the abrasiveness of out pavement tends to eat tires more quickly. Not saying it will happen, rather your oem Kenda is headed for typical milage often experienced here in Florida. It will get to be a rear tire with far less grip as you use the last half of the tread remaining.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    No comment in regards to the RT43, the replacement RT45, or even the Riken on account of no experience riding those tires.

Offering to Shakin Jake, while you should be able to obtain those next 4000 miles on your current tire, consider too that the higher temps of the road surfaces here in Florida, plus the glass or shell filler they often add to the asphalt, tends to have the tires wear faster. The additional heat softens the tire more than other areas and the abrasiveness of out pavement tends to eat tires more quickly. Not saying it will happen, rather your oem Kenda is headed for typical milage often experienced here in Florida. It will get to be a rear tire with far less grip as you use the last half of the tread remaining.

~~~I suspect you’re right PMK, that’s what I like about riding/owning a new bike, you really don't have to concern yourself with equipment replacement, in the short run, but then after that time is up…look out=:-)

I realize reading all the posts of owners with Kenda rear tires (RT Spyders), they don’t seem to have much in the way of longevity, do they?, but again, I suspect you’re right, the next 4K miles on my OEM rear tire will not be as blissful, as the first 4K miles…

On a different note, although i only accumulated 4500 miles on the 2020 Ryker Rally I bought new that year, those Kenda tires wore like iron, and gave a decant level of grip too!

Best

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    2020 Rally , Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Something New Altimax RT 45

....I agree with most of the posts that are shown. The write up on this Tire has my attention. Thankfully I have time for Data to be gathered and studied. I will wait and learn more about the RT45.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

~~~I suspect you’re right PMK, that’s what I like about riding/owning a new bike, you really don't have to concern yourself with equipment replacement, in the short run, but then after that time is up…look out=:-)

I realize reading all the posts of owners with Kenda rear tires (RT Spyders), they don’t seem to have much in the way of longevity, do they?, but again, I suspect you’re right, the next 4K miles on my OEM rear tire will not be as blissful, as the first 4K miles…

On a different note, although i only accumulated 4500 miles on the 2020 Ryker Rally I bought new that year, those Kenda tires wore like iron, and gave a decant level of grip too!

Best

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    Entirely your call, but I suspect you will replace that oem rear tire before actually worn out per the wear indicators. Ours just got too slippery and loose to stay comfortable.

Tires are inexpensive expendable items vs a crash or similar. Add to that, quality performance tires do improve how the Spyder feels and behaves.

I helped a friend a while back, taking his 2021 Spyder 150 miles each way to the shop for warranty work. Suffice to say, even though he had replaced his front tires with Fomozas when the oem Kendas were almost new, it still was not cool riding his Spyder with an oem Kenda rear tire after having logged many thousands of miles under me on our Spyder with Formoza fronts and Yokohama rear. That rear Kenda on his 2021 is a sway monster compared to the Yokohama on our Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Entirely your call, but I suspect you will replace that oem rear tire before actually worn out per the wear indicators. Ours just got too slippery and loose to stay comfortable.

Tires are inexpensive expendable items vs a crash or similar. Add to that, quality performance tires do improve how the Spyder feels and behaves.

I helped a friend a while back, taking his 2021 Spyder 150 miles each way to the shop for warranty work. Suffice to say, even though he had replaced his front tires with Fomozas when the oem Kendas were almost new, it still was not cool riding his Spyder with an oem Kenda rear tire after having logged many thousands of miles under me on our Spyder with Formoza fronts and Yokohama rear. That rear Kenda on his 2021 is a sway monster compared to the Yokohama on our Spyder.

~~~I’ll def keep an eye on the traction abilities of my OEM Kenda tires PMK. That said, I have no complaints at this point with these tires, rain or shine. I totally agree in regards to the cost of rubber. Tires are inexpensive, especially considering I have always done my own tire R&R but I’m not of the persuasion of replacing a perfectly good tire when it’s not warranted. I realize there are many Kenda haters here in this board. I’m not one of them, but I will keep a close eye on my OEM tires and if they ever give the slightest hint of less than stellar performance, off they go and on with dark side since the Kenda tire costs the same if not more than dark side tires and yes, I realize the rear wears faster than the fronts. If I don’t get 8 K miles out of the rear OEM tire, boo hoo, off it will go but, not a moment before that time. Others may have better & different ideas

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    “I’m living on Chinese rocks” Dee Dee Ramone
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

~~~I’ll def keep an eye on the traction abilities of my OEM Kenda tires PMK. That said, I have no complaints at this point with these tires, rain or shine. I totally agree in regards to the cost of rubber. Tires are inexpensive, especially considering I have always done my own tire R&R but I’m not of the persuasion of replacing a perfectly good tire when it’s not warranted. I realize there are many Kenda haters here in this board. I’m not one of them, but I will keep a close eye on my OEM tires and if they ever give the slightest hint of less than stellar performance, off they go and on with dark side since the Kenda tire costs the same if not more than dark side tires and yes, I realize the rear wears faster than the fronts. If I don’t get 8 K miles out of the rear OEM tire, boo hoo, off it will go but, not a moment before that time. Others may have better & different ideas

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    “I’m living on Chinese rocks” Dee Dee Ramone
    Understood, I ran our Kendas for a while too. Rear went I think maybe 6000 or so miles. Actually just checked, 5349 miles on our oem Kenda rear tire when I replaced it. Just started slipping about, so off it came.

Fronts had more miles. Yes those could have gone longer, but a suspected failing front tires had me swap them. Ultimately the tire was fine and the pull to one side was brake related. Oh well, two fronts were around $100 back then, and like you I change them myself, then do my own dynamic balancing.

All the best on those Kendas.

Wanted to add, my friends 2021, he is a big guy. In an effort to get his Spyder more to his liking we incrementally made improvements. First I did was an alignment. That helped. Second was replacing the front tires. The added front tire stiffness helped a lot. Next I installed front spring preload collars to help stabilize his Spyder under his size. Again a noticeable improvement. Last was I installed a BajaRon swaybar he got. Again more improvement. As needed the alignment was verified with him seated on the Spyder. This ensured the most accurate alignment setting specifically for him.

It was not that he wanted to replace almost new tires, it was simply a good choice in his situation.
    Last edited by PMK; 08-19-2022 at 03:49 AM.

Spyder Garage

Wow. Took the rear off the RTL a while ago. It sure was easier on the GL1800! Complicated of course by having a trailer hitch on it. But, it's off and I'll take it and the new tire to the shop tomorrow. He said bring it in early and I should be able to pick it up just before closing. Not a dealership, but he has started doing a lot of Spyder work. Nice guy that I've had change out several MC tires. Says he has BUDS, too. In Powell, Tennessee. Lynchworx (if you know the area, his shop is right behind the convenience center on Beaver Creek.)
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

New Altimax mounted and installed. Still need to try it out and check belt alignment. Hope it is right, because it is a bear taking the hitch off & on to get to the axle and tension bolts.
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I have over 25,000 miles on my RT43 and it is just now getting close to the wear bars. We are always 2 up riding, but not aggressive. Can't see switching brands. - Irv
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-24-2022 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Caps %-)
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Amazon spammed me in regards to offering the general Altimax rt43 for $120 ($119.99), so just for grins and giggles, I looked up this tire size on tirerack.com (215/60/15) and they showed me their 12? Best selling tires in that size and Whaddya know, the rt43 was priced identical with Amazon, but even more interesting was, the rt45 (general altimax) was the same price. I’m guessing it’s smart for general/tire rack to price this replacement tire at the same price as old reliable

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black