Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What's the best belt tensioner? What are you using?

I have Docs Belt Tensioner on my wifes bike and have been reading about some of the issues others have been having (we have already had one broken spring). I also found that my new to me 2019 has a stock can am tensioner on it and I would like to replace both of them.

Looking to find what others are using.

Thanks for the info
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-18-2022 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask question/s ;-)

Spyder Garage

Lamonster all the way
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I finally got around to installing an OEM on mine today. If I like it, I intend to replace it with the roller Lamont sells.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

I just received the Lamonster Garage IPS Belt Tensioner Arm/Roller for the 2014-2022 F3 and RT Spyders yesterday. It has the machined aluminum arm with the sealed ball bearing pivot, a solid and stable mounting bracket, and the larger diameter roller with dual ball bearings. It will replace the stock, plastic tensioner with the smaller, single bearing roller that came standard on my 2021RT. I was very pleasantly surprised at how well built this replacement tensioner assembly is. The arm should last forever and the larger roller with dual bearings will spin at a lower rpm and should last longer than the stock one.

This will be installed along with the new Vredestion Quatrac rear tire. The stock Kenda was completely shot at 8500 miles and down to the layer of rubber just above the cords...Those stock Kenda rear tires probably about as poorly a made tire, with a very weak carcass that allows them to "balloon" out and wear the center twice as fast as the edges of the tread, regardless of the pressure they are run at.

Normally I wouldn't dare go this close to the cords on the tire...but the J&S Jack that I ordered in early April to allow a safe means to change the rear tire finally arrived yesterday. The J&S Jack was dropped off by the UPS driver, along with the Lamonster Garage Belt tensioner, which was ordered on Sunday. The J&S Jack is very well built and in a totally different league than the Harbor Freight version that I have used to replace two rear tires on my 2009 Spyder GS. The GS is about 300 lb lighter than the RT and was as much weight as I felt safe lifting with the Harbor Freight jack as it wiggles and flexes with the GS.

Thanks,
    Rod

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm " Anti-belt tensioner " .... I cured any vibe issues by reducing my belt tension ..... and even if I couldn't I wouldn't get one of these. This type of device has FAILED as reported here by a number of members. .... If you have to replace your drive belt on the road expect to pay north of $1000.00, and possibly a few days to get it done. And for what , you have an " annoying " vibration. I know this doesn't answer your question , however a newbie may read it and get a different perspective ..... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm " Anti-belt tensioner " .... I cured any vibe issues by reducing my belt tension ..... and even if I couldn't I wouldn't get one of these. Mike
    Yep, me also. Installed BRP's original piece-o-crap tensioner and quickly replaced it with "Doc's" tensioner. Ran it for about 10k miles and then double zip tied it up and I'm pushing 60k now and not using a tensioner anymore. Don't trust'm.

Spyder Garage

Mike, I have always respected your thoughts on different subjects on this forum. However there have been so many threads going off topic lately and I do not want this one to be one of them.

Thanks
    John

Spyder Garage

Really would like to keep this thread on topic. I do understand your thoughts from other forum threads on this subject but please help keep this thread on topic

Thank you
    John
    Last edited by Revrent; 08-20-2022 at 07:35 AM.

Spyder Garage

I am going with Lamonsters Belt Tensioner for both of our spyders. I was mainly looking at Lamonts, and Spyder Extras.

They both are FANTASTIC companies and work with customers if problems arise. There are some that do not like tensioners and I absolutely respect their decisions, it is their bikes to do with as they choose. I like tensioners. My wife has firsthand knowledge of what they can do. She had a bad vibration that adjusting the belt numerous times did nothing to fix. After installing Doc's tensioner (no longer available or supported) it fixed her bikes vibration issue the first time out. I am upgrading to Lamonts tensioner because they do need to be checked, maintained, and I will be unable to do that with Doc's. I was also very impressed with Lamonts written statement on his web site about checking them at regular intervals.

My bike that I just bought has a CanAm Tensioner that is currently working fine but when I looked at the cost of upgrading it with Lamonts roller and then the price difference in just getting his aluminum tensioner
    over CanAm's plastic tensioner it just seams like the right upgrade for me.

Spyder Extras has a very fine product in their tensioner but I could find no products for replacement other than to contact them about warranty issues and the cost vs Lamonts was a large difference. Along with the fact that Lamonts has maintenance items available for his tensioner. Add that to I have received numerous comments and messages from others in what they are using (really love the members here) made our decision an easy one.

Thank you
    John

Spyder Garage

My current spyder is a 2023 F3 LTD Special Series and I don't have a belt tensioner on the bike.

I'll add -one when I get a chance.

I probably will get a belt tensioner from Lamont.

Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 08-02-2023 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Removed old post, and replaced with new post

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BEST BELT TENSIONER HANDS DOWN IMHO...

https://www.smoothspyder.com/belt-tensioners/
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-19-2022 at 03:04 AM. Reason: S %-)

Spyder Garage

Replaced my OEM plastic piece/Lamonster roller last fall with the SpyderExtra's piece. Very stout. While the roller isn't as big as the Lamonster roller, it is a significant upgrade over OEM. I'll use a lamonster roller when the time comes..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

For peace of mind I replaced Doc's unit with Lamonster's belt harmonics reducer with about 15.000 trouble free miles on Doc's. It was still in good shape. I can get a replacement roller now also.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I appreciate all the information (discussion, experience, and opinions) regarding belt tensioners. I was getting the belt vibrations and could hear it fairly strong at around 65-70mph. (Not "Good Vibrations" leave that to the Beach Boys ) It seemed to make sense to me that changing the tension could tend to change the resonant frequency, e.g. speed, where it becomes apparent. So I went ahead and installed the Lamonster tensioner.

My question is, how long will it last? Apparently you can order a new roller if needed?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GRHorst View Post
    My question is, how long will it last? Apparently you can order a new roller if needed?
    Easy to check on a regular basis. Reach under the side panel, lift it off the belt and spin it. You can do it one handed. Bearings feel smooth, you are good to go. I check every few thousand miles.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I'm " Anti-belt tensioner " .... I cured any vibe issues by reducing my belt tension ..... and even if I couldn't I wouldn't get one of these. This type of device has FAILED as reported here by a number of members. .... If you have to replace your drive belt on the road expect to pay north of $1000.00, and possibly a few days to get it done. And for what , you have an " annoying " vibration. I know this doesn't answer your question , however a newbie may read it and get a different perspective ..... good luck .... Mike
    But it's not just about felt vibrations, and even if you cured that annoying issue without a tension devices with the long length of the Spyder belt, I guarantee it's still vibrating or flapping around which can drastically shorten the life of a belt and cause them to break. This is why just about every belt drive system has some sort of tensioner in place from cars, to other motorcycles that use belts, to even my John Deere mower deck. You always want to keep your belt tight under any load or deflection. Now the fact that BRP/Canam didn't engineer a better solution out of the gate sucks, because they could have done something like Ducati with a pulley under the drive sprocket or something like that. The roller arm keeping pressure on the belt maybe isn't the best solution, and does add another wear item in play, but it's probably better then nothing in the long run.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wagswvu View Post
    But it's not just about felt vibrations, and even if you cured that annoying issue without a tension devices with the long length of the Spyder belt, I guarantee it's still vibrating or flapping around which can drastically shorten the life of a belt and cause them to break. This is why just about every belt drive system has some sort of tensioner in place from cars, to other motorcycles that use belts, to even my John Deere mower deck. You always want to keep your belt tight under any load or deflection. Now the fact that BRP/Canam didn't engineer a better solution out of the gate sucks, because they could have done something like Ducati with a pulley under the drive sprocket or something like that. The roller arm keeping pressure on the belt maybe isn't the best solution, and does add another wear item in play, but it's probably better then nothing in the long run.
    I know... I know... Guilty again! I'm just hoping that terminology still has meaning in today's world.

Spyder Rear Axle.jpg
    BeltVibDamp.jpg

These Vibration Dampeners add so little tension to the belt that it is a non-issue in this regard.

As for longevity. These belts on the Spyder are way overbuilt and short of physical damage or leaving them outside in the sun and weather. Will last the life of the vehicle. The rare rock in the sprocket or bad belt alignment is much more likely to end the life of your belt than any vibration. Even way over-tension isn't really a problem for these belts (designed to take over 600 lbs. of stretch). But your wheel bearings won't do anywhere near that kind of stress.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-02-2023 at 10:32 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

replacing my rollers today 20,000 miles lamosters
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

Still got the stock belt tensioner and never had any problems with vibrations at any speed.

2019 Special Series came stock with a belt tensioner. Check it regular and give it a good check
    up every time I change the rear tire. Still works like new.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

The rollers on your John Deere Tractor are part of the tensioning system, not to mention that the belt is twisting in every direction, your belt on your bike is already on tension with the back wheel and is straight in line with each other. The use of a belt DAMPENER, is to take out some of the vibrations of the belt, is this needed, well this is a long-time discussion on here that will never be solved, it like oil, tires, seats, it's a personal thing, and only your butt will tell you whether it's right for you! The one thing I will say is that if you drink the Kool-Aid, you have just given yourself another thing to watch and maintain. Good Luck! P.S This post was from back in 2022
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    The rollers on your John Deere Tractor are part of the tensioning system, not to mention that the belt is twisting in every direction, your belt on your bike is already on tension with the back wheel and is straight in line with each other. The use of a belt DAMPENER, is to take out some of the vibrations of the belt, is this needed, well this is a long-time discussion on here that will never be solved, it like oil, tires, seats, it's a personal thing, and only your butt will tell you whether it's right for you! The one thing I will say is that if you drink the Kool-Aid, you have just given yourself another thing to watch and maintain. Good Luck! P.S This post was from back in 2022
    Correct, one pulley on my tractor moves on a spring to keep constant tension on the belt, because if one blade spins slower then others or change in terrain will cause slack in the belt which is bad. Same thing is true for spider, the static adjustment on rear tire takes inherited slack out of the belt, but does not account for acceleration, changes in suspension do to weight or road conditions that can cause unnecessary vibrations and possibly excessive belt wear. which is why a tensioner is needed to keep load on the belt when hits those condition that cause slack in the belt outside of set tension.

I see people claim spiders belt is over built or over tighten and fine as it, but then see reports of people belts snapping at very low mileage with no other cause. Imo if you are casual rider and cruising around maybe fine which could be why canam didnt engineer a better solution. But me, I push my spyder to limit. I rode mine the other day with the panels off before i installed tensioner arm and my belt was bouncing at least top frame rail. With it installed seems keep it contained.

Spyder Garage

which is why a tensioner is needed to keep load on the belt when hits those condition that cause slack in the belt outside of set tension.

I see people claim spiders belt is over built or over tighten and fine as it, but then see reports of people belts snapping at very low mileage with no other cause. .
    Not sure you have felt the almost no tension that the dampener places on the belt but it is far from a tensioner.

Also, not sure where you are seeing all these snapping belts, would love to read about some.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Correct, one pulley on my tractor moves on a spring to keep constant tension on the belt, because if one blade spins slower then others or change in terrain will cause slack in the belt which is bad. Same thing is true for spider, the static adjustment on rear tire takes inherited slack out of the belt, but does not account for acceleration, changes in suspension do to weight or road conditions that can cause unnecessary vibrations and possibly excessive belt wear. which is why a tensioner is needed to keep load on the belt when hits those condition that cause slack in the belt outside of set tension.

I see people claim spiders belt is over built or over tighten and fine as it, but then see reports of people belts snapping at very low mileage with no other cause. Imo if you are casual rider and cruising around maybe fine which could be why canam didnt engineer a better solution. But me, I push my spyder to limit. I rode mine the other day with the panels off before i installed tensioner arm and my belt was bouncing at least top frame rail. With it installed seems keep it contained.
    Like said above, I didn't see that post of a snapping belt, but it's a known fact that not everything comes off the assembly line right! But I have not seen a whole lot of this happening. But at the end of the day if a DAMPER makes you feel good go for it, it's your money!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Not sure you have felt the almost no tension that the dampener places on the belt but it is far from a tensioner.

Also, not sure where you are seeing all these snapping belts, would love to read about some.
    Yeah I'm kind of done topic because the point I was trying to make that seems to be lost is belt flopping is not a good idea. Any other belt drive vehicle I owned from ducati xdiavel to a Slingshot used some sort of tenisoner system, in those case is way more elegantly designed for sure but did the same thing. Also you don't need a lot of force because at speed just a little pressure goes a long way.