Spyder Garage

Default Does the Steering rack have adjustments ~ 2015 RT ~ or some play in the Steering.

I am either experiencing some play in the steering or imagining it and it has always been there. After all I am getting old. At a stop the steering has a slight play when moving the handle bars. A zone moves freely until resistance incurs and stops the movement, Not pushing hard. the amount of play involved is maybe 1/4 inch either side.

At slow speeds the play is similar so turning the handle bar has an ever so small "free play" zone. At higher speeds, 50+ mph, the effect is a tad more noticeable. My RT is closing in on 83,000 miles. On a 4,100 mile Grand Tour journey, so the RT should end up at 87,000 miles when done.

Like I said this could have always been there and just noticed and then focused on it needlessly. I don't feel endangered by this play and able to handle the twisties and sweepers with confidence.

As they say you grow old and get use to the wear and tear on your bike. Just thought I would ask.

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

Should be tight. If you can, shine a strong light on the suspension components and see if anything is loose. Heim joints, , Pittman arm, ball joints, A arms…..any of those could come loose, and cause play. If you don’t feel qualified to inspect it, stop by a dealer. In thousands of jobs, any of those things could do it. I’ve seen it. Give me a call if you need help pinpointing what’s up. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Could be the universal joint in the steering shaft. We just replaced one for a customer with the same issue. There should be no play in the DPS. You can also get play in the tie rod ball joints. That is easy to discover. Try to follow the steering components starting at the handle bars and see if you can discover the point (or points) at which you get input movement without output movement. There are no adjustments to tighten up the steering box (DPS).
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post
    I am either experiencing some play in the steering or imagining it and it has always been there. After all I am getting old. At a stop the steering has a slight play when moving the handle bars. A zone moves freely until resistance incurs and stops the movement, Not pushing hard. the amount of play involved is maybe 1/4 inch either side.

At slow speeds the play is similar so turning the handle bar has an ever so small "free play" zone. At higher speeds, 50+ mph, the effect is a tad more noticeable. My RT is closing in on 83,000 miles. On a 4,100 mile Grand Tour journey, so the RT should end up at 87,000 miles when done.

Like I said this could have always been there and just noticed and then focused on it needlessly. I don't feel endangered by this play and able to handle the twisties and sweepers with confidence.

As they say you grow old and get use to the wear and tear on your bike. Just thought I would ask.

Willie
    Willie I suggested you post this question ....... for those who answered it ------ my question to them is , name a vehicle that has .... ZERO .... play in the steering system ?????? .... thankyou ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Willie I suggested you post this question ....... for those who answered it ------ my question to them is , name a vehicle that has .... ZERO .... play in the steering system ?????? .... thankyou ...... Mike
    Point well taken. I just checked the 6 Spyders and 1 Ryker that we have at the shop. All were off and I know that can change with the engine running on the Spyder. The 2014 RT had the most play with about 1/4" at the end of the handlebars. The Ryker and my 2008 GS had the least with actually zero play. Which somewhat surprised me. The 2009 RS had the most, but then we are replacing the DPS (which has been removed) so I'm not counting that one. The 2015 F3-S had about 1/8" as did the 2019 F3 Ltd.

The 2014 RT with 1/4" play (this is measured both ways so a total of about 1/2" of movement without resistance) is getting a new steering universal joint replacement today. This customer came in complaining of too much play and we found everything tight except this joint.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for this ..... my experience ( mostly with auto's ) has not been the case ......... Also the term / word ... ZERO .... has different interpretations to different people .... just sayin ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have three spyders with various miles on them that all have some play. I dont think it is is possible to have zero play.

Spyder Garage

And with 83,000 miles on it. Sounds like the components did their job.

Spyder Garage

The vehicle with zero play in the steering?... A bicycle with a rigid fork?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    ^^ And a solid rubber tire!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I have just dealt with this a few weeks ago on my 2013 rt. Both the upper and lower pinch bolts needed to be tightened as it had a little slop on the splines. Of course that meant pulling the upper dash and console assembly loose to get to the upper. Lower I was able to get at throught the right side below a arm.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-04-2022 at 03:27 PM. Reason: coarse, ment, counsole... %-)
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

My definition of 'Play' is movement of the handlebars without resistance. It is an easier and less subjective way to measure, though possibly not quite as accurate.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    WHY ???? am I not surprised with this answer ....... Thanks for the info ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    My definition of 'Play' is movement of the handlebars without resistance. It is an easier and less subjective way to measure, though possibly not quite as accurate.
    My definition of ...ZERO .... is " ZERO " ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderJerry View Post
    I have just dealt with this a few weeks ago on my 2013 rt. Both the upper and lower pinch bolts needed to be tightened as it had a little slop on the splines. Of coarse that ment pulling the upper dash and counsole assembly loose to get to the upper. Lower I was able to get at throught the right side below a arm.
    And how much PLAY did you have before and after the bolts were tightened ???? .... Thanks ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

My definition of ...ZERO .... is " ZERO " ..... Mike
    I agree. Zero movement without resistance would then be zero...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had the steering column on my 2014 RTS replaced just as my extended warranty was coming to an end. I don't recall for certain how much play there was but I think it was something like 1/2" each side of center. I was able to check and found no movement at all in the tie rod connections or wheels. All the movement was in the column and the dealer agreed. BRP replaced the column under the warranty. The replacement was actually accomplished after the warranty expired.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I thank you all for the responses.

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White