Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default buying / trading thoughts ??? RS se5 for RT se5 Opinions ????

well me wife wants a RT SE5 and get rid of her 2010 RS SE5 - here is the story i am tring to see where i should be

My wifes RS SE5 is a silver 2010 and has 962 miles with an extended warrenty good till Aug 2017. It is all stock other then handle bar risers and touring windshild

I am looking at a Blue 2010 Rt se5 Audio and Convinence with just over 6000 miles with a warrenty until june 2014

What would be a good price difference between the two without getting taken advantage of ? I looked at kbb and nada guide but to be honest i think they are kinda off base because there prices dont come even close to market value on them

any advice would be great

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I did the same thing last July, traded an '09 RS with givi bags, Rivco floorboards and a lot of other stuff for a 2012 Quantum Blue RT-S. got $14,000 for the '09 RS and paid $25,000 out the door for the RT. This was not a trade in but a sale and a new RT purchase. So $11,000 difference for me. With your RS being newermandmwith less miles I would guess it would sell for around $15,500 and a used RT (sight unseen) around $17000 to $19,000. New 2012's were going for around $20,000 in some dealers but not sure what equipment level etc. Most used new '12's sell around $23,000 this late in the year. Your deal would be pretty close as to difference $$$ say around $2,000 to $3,000.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The final offer the dealership made me was 6000 difference ? its just hard getting one with over 3 years less warrenty, 5000 more miles and putting out 6k in cahs - i know the extra options are nice but just sucks going backwords on miles and warrenty , and of course money in the bank

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

buy a new one , leftover 12 or new 13 , if you are going to be bent over might as well enjoy it , ie a new ride .

Spyder Garage

I think I would have figured out what it is that she feels the RT has that the RS doesn't, and made the appropriate mods to the RS, rather than making a trade and losing money...less than 1000 miles on the trade-in sounds like she doesn't ride very much.
    2008 GS Phantom, 2012 RT Limited
    Cheryl Reinhart Ragsdale

Spyder Garage

When the dealership does a trade in they generally pay wholesale for the bike being traded and retail on the bike they are selling.Blue Knight in a post above gave you a ball park figure of $2000 to $3000 difference on a similar deal except he sold his RS rather than trading it..The dealer wants $6000 difference.Thats how he earns his money.The extra dollars the dealer would want probably accounts for the difference.To do it cheaper than the $6000 difference sell your RS privately and purchase their RT or look for another RT privately.You should bring the difference down to a couple of thousand.
    The mileage you mention is odious.Both yours and the dealers bike are low mileage.There is no value between a few thousand miles.

Ivor
    Last edited by Ivorspyder; 11-07-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

A very difficult decision for you to make. I hate to quote dollars when I am so far out of the area. Get the price you are happy with--but be realistic about what you perceive the value to be. Its usually less than you think. The onset of the new 2013's with improved handling, the new ST model, and some cosmetic changes have turned our 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 into lesser value machines due to the perceived demand for the new 2013's. What really happens will depend on what happens when they are available for sale, and the used bikes come in.

The dealer is going to try to make a couple K on each of the units in each case. Hence, they are going to offer you "wholesale" on trade in and try to get near "retail" on the one you are buying from them.

Used to used is probably not a good combo to work with. You might get a better deal on a "new" previous year model with your trade--just suggesting.

I have had two RS's and now have two RT's so have played the game a couple times now. RE: make the RS into an RT with options. With your 2010--not going to happen. I had $6000.00 of "touring" options on my 2008, and 2009--they looked real cool--but did not ride like the RT that I have come to like so much. Pictures in The Alaska Gallery.

The RT is a different ride compared to the RS. I have the RT-S and bought a new 2011 A & C for the second RT.

Bottom line: buy what you want and be happy with your purchase enough that you don't run into buyers remorse after the sale. Let us know what you find.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-07-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I agree with askspyderman 100%. I sold my 09 RS after trying to make it an RT. it never was an RT just an RS with lots of mods which was still a great ride but not an RT. Take your time and be patient. Sell the RS privately as there are not too many for sale used. Yours is a very low mile, 2010 model and as such should bring a good return, then buy a new 2012 RT. a new RT A&C left over model should be around $20,000 and your old RS with low miles etc could bring in $15,000 at least. That's a $5,000 difference for a new RT, as opposed to a $6,000 for a used one on a dealer trade in. It is not hard to sell a used bike in some areas and more differcult in others so I can't say how long it will take. If $ is a big issue I'd wait before doing a trade with a dealer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question: What is your Wife's happiness worth to you??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Now THAT'S a smart man.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not really... I'm just a dummy who has forgotten to ask himself that question a few too many times!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My suggestion: Go RENT an RT for two or three weeks. She should ride it extensively while you have it rented. Not once a week. This will give you and her an opportunity to see if she REALLY wants it before you dish out several thousand dollars!! It is obvious from the mileage that she does not ride a lot.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good point! With less than 1000 miles on her current ryde; what is driving this decision? Renting one for a period of time would certainly give her a chance to seriously try one out, and decide based upon her experiences.

Spyder Garage

Default Huh?

I'll give you $6,000 if you can make MY wife happy! did I say that out loud?
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well I'm still trying to figure out how to make my own Missus happy... Haven't got a clue in Hell...
    But for 6 grand; I'd try...

Spyder Garage

Well I'm still trying to figure out how to make my own Missus happy... Haven't got a clue in Hell...
    But for 6 grand; I'd try...

I think I'm in trouble. If I'm not back in 3 days someone call 911.........WHAT DID YOU SAY HONEY?,,, SURE,,I'LL BE RIGHT THERE! ,,,,,,,I gotta go.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

I would jump on the $6,000 difference. It sounds like both you and the dealer are getting a decent deal.

I did the same thing back in 2010. We had a 2008 GS SM5 that we bought used, put several thousand miles on before we decided to trade it for a left over 2010 RT AC SM5. We ride 2 up most of the time and the GS was not cutting it. My difference was around $13,000. We don't get to ride that much...my RT just hit 5000 miles.

On the other hand, my wife has her eye on the 2013 yellow STS. So I am sure we will become a 2 spyder family as soon as we see one at the dealer...

As far as the extended warrantee, you can add that at any time through Barts. I got mine with my purchase and would not own a spyder that does not have the BRP Best...

Spyder Garage

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...-SE5-105094725

Here is a NEW Rt-s SE5 for 19,500.
    I would look around a LOT- I don,t think the deal they are offering is in YOUR best interests.
    I got a New Base RT for $17,000 Plus tax.

With only 900 plus miles it appears she is not riding very much?
    Kinda like buying a Jet Ski to ride 3 times a year???

There is No big need to be Fair to a dealer- Get the best product you can for the least amount of $$$!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post

I think I'm in trouble. If I'm not back in 3 days someone call 911.........WHAT DID YOU SAY HONEY?,,, SURE,,I'LL BE RIGHT THERE! ,,,,,,,I gotta go.
    You can hide up here with me... i've got places that even SHE can't find!

Spyder Garage

I sure wish my 2008 GS only had around 900 miles on it. I have over 52,000 miles on it. I ride it every day to work, which is a 20 mile commute one way for me. Add in all the weekend rides and trips to places is where all the miles come from. I'm considering trading it in for either a ST or RT. My Spyder has been real good to me with very few issues in the time that I've owned it. The problem with selling it would be the miles on it. Not too many buyers would jump on it with that many miles and being out of warranty even if it is in great shape. I know I will have to take a loss on it no matter what I do.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

alot to think about i guess, thanks for all the advice

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remember; more than half of the fun is in the shopping anyway!

Good Luck!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Guess the best I am going to be able to talk them into is 5500 difference