Spyder Garage

Default First ride today

Picked up the RTL from the dealer today and rode about 200km home. Lots of fun!! Great riding machine.
    It was missing one part- the heated passenger arm rests. Will install when available. Only surprise was when passing. The trike darts to the left when crossing the centre hump , plus adding passing power makes it drive more to the left - interesting!!
    One question- should the drive belt be hard against the inside flange at the rear wheel??
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 Spyder RTL- dark trim
    1969 Plymouth Barracuda 340-S Fastback
    1969 Barracuda, 6.1 Hemi restomod, convertible
    1970 Plymouth Superbird, 440-6bbl

Spyder Garage

Congrats!
    Maybe holding on too tight?
    The belt should be credit card gap from the flange. Needs adjustment.
    Check your air pressures up front and be within 1/2 lb between them.
    Get a laser alignment.
    Last edited by RayBJ; 08-16-2022 at 02:20 PM.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RealWing View Post
    Picked up the RTL from the dealer today and rode about 200km home. Lots of fun!! Great riding machine.
    It was missing one part- the heated passenger arm rests. Will install when available. Only surprise was when passing. The trike darts to the left when crossing the centre hump , plus adding passing power makes it drive more to the left - interesting!!
    One question- should the drive belt be hard against the inside flange at the rear wheel??
    Jim
    It depends on how " hard " against that flange it is . ..... Mine is about 2 cc away .... but the Total range is about 3.5 mm ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-16-2022 at 10:13 PM.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On the new Spyder RTL, Nice looking machine!! The belt will move a little from side to side so check it a few times to see where it runs to be sure. Getting a laser alignment has helped a lot of times, but you just need to get use to the way the Spyder handles if you have not ridden one before. Give yourself time to adjust to the machine. Then look for ways to make it better for you if you have too.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

RealWing, that jerking to the left under heavy acceleration is possibly a subconscious forward movement of the right hand when you quickly twist the throttle. It doe not take much to be noticeable. Different things like this catch first time spyder riders off guard. I think it's worse for folks that have lots of 2 wheel miles. I was ready to sell mine during the first interstate ride. Now I think nothing of just using one hand and swapping out every 10 miles or so. Take your time, get used to it. Relax the grip a bit.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Also when you check the belt placement, make sure that you have went in a straight line for a short distance. The belt moves when you turn either left or right and takes a bit to get back in place
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Lower the front tire pressures to 18 cold. To me the owners manual recommendation of 20 in the front makes for squirrely and bouncy handling. As already stated, keep the front tire pressures with no more than 1/2 psi between the two.
    I find the rear tire owners manual recommended cold pressure of 28 to be ok.. but 1 psi or 2 lower is pretty nice too.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Also when you check the belt placement, make sure that you have went in a straight line for a short distance. The belt moves when you turn either left or right and takes a bit to get back in place
    Good suggestion. I had just turned into the driveway and parked it. I’ll check after driving straight.

Spyder Garage

Forgot to add that my Spyder was shipped without the heated passenger grips. I was not aware they came that way. Will be installed when available

Spyder Garage

Checked tire pressures tonight. Outside temp was 21C or 70F

LF 18.3
    RF 17.3
    Rear 22.7

I'll check again in AM when it is cooler and I'll equalize the front pressures.

Spyder Garage

Congrats! Blue and Red are my favorites. When moving to the left when passing a lot will depend on the crown of the road also. Where I live in Nevada a lot of the hiways and roads are what I would call rutted for heavy trucks/etc. Good luck and have fun.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Forgot to add that my Spyder was shipped without the heated passenger grips. I was not aware they came that way. Will be installed when available
    That's the story I got when I picked up my '22. Dealer said BRP will contact me when they're available.
    2022 RT S2S
    It's easier to get forgiveness than permission

Spyder Garage

Lovely machine. Congrats!
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Jim
    Let me add to my original answer ..... " Belt is hard against the Flange " it's easy to check this drive straight for at least 50 feet ....stop... shut engine off and slowly roll it backwards ( also straight ) and see if the belt comes off the Flange .... If it does I doubt it's really HARD against the flange ..... If it doesn't I think you need to align that belt ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Let me add to my original answer ..... " Belt is hard against the Flange " it's easy to check this drive straight for at least 50 feet ....stop... shut engine off and slowly roll it backwards ( also straight ) and see if the belt comes off the Flange .... If it does I doubt it's really HARD against the flange ..... If it doesn't I think you need to align that belt ..... good luck .... Mike
    I did that and it did not come off the flange. I would have expected that check to be part of the pdi??

Spyder Garage

Contacted the dealer today about the belt alignment and they want me to bring it in (400 Km/250 miles round trip!!) I checked the belt alignment on the front pulley and it looked ok.
    Also told them about the steering instability going over the crown in the road and they will also do a laser alignment at the same time. The service manual toe specs appear to be +/-2 deg, but I thought there would be a preferred setting?

Spyder Garage

Contacted the dealer today about the belt alignment and they want me to bring it in (400 Km/250 miles round trip!!) I checked the belt alignment on the front pulley and it looked ok.
    Also told them about the steering instability going over the crown in the road and they will also do a laser alignment at the same time. The service manual toe specs appear to be +/-2 deg, but I thought there would be a preferred setting?
    If you would drop the psi in the front tires to about 18psi it will steer a lot better. Thats what I run in my stock Kendas (Krapendas)

Spyder Garage

If you would drop the psi in the front tires to about 18psi it will steer a lot better. Thats what I run in my stock Kendas (Krapendas)
    I set both to 18 aftrer I found more than 1/2 psi difference between them. Didn’t notice any improvement

Spyder Garage

I set both to 18 aftrer I found more than 1/2 psi difference between them. Didn’t notice any improvement
    I didn't re-read the earlier post's and thought you might be running 22 or so in the front.

Spyder Garage

The belt will also move quite a bit when you use reverse. I agree that forward in a straight line is more accurate.
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Took the Spyder to the dealer today. They corrected the rear wheel belt alignment to ensure there was a small gap (fingernail width they said is the spec!!) at the inner flange. They also did a laser alignment. It wasn't too bad they said. Left wheel was out by 6mm and right by 5 mm.(approx 1/4”). They readjusted and it now seems much better on the road.
    Last edited by RealWing; 09-02-2022 at 08:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

My son bought a 2009 Spyder GS about 6-7 years ago when he was living in Minnesota. He brought it down to my place in Kansas for the winter as he did not have a place to store it inside...and I did. So of course, I started riding the 2009GS Spyder and enjoyed driving it, especially with my wife as a passenger. The handling, especially on the two lane ashphalt and chip and seal roads in my area could best be described as "twitchy". It liked to dart around with dips and irregularities in the road, but despite that was still fun to drive.

I had made a fixture to check the toe in/toe out on my ATVs in the past and knew from experience that a "toe out" condition on the front will make the ATV steering very sensitive and very "twitchy". Upon checking the GS Spyder, I found it in a toe out condition of well over 1/4 inch. No wonder it was darting around and twitchy to drive on less than smooth roads. I adjusted both front tie rods to bring the front end to a very slightly "toe in" base on my measuring jig and found this to vastly improve the steering on the rough roads. Later that fall I took the bike to the local Can Am dealer to have the laser alignment done. Bike drove much better after that. I can highly recommend the laser alignment, especially on the older units that had alignment work done that may have been questionable at best.

I later found out that the dealer that he bought the 2009 used GS Spyder from did not do the laser alignment. Several years later, this shop went out of business...

In any case the laser alignment is well worth seeking out as it will maximize the driving experience of the Spyder. Adding better sway bars, better shocks, and good tires such as the Vredesteines also all contribute to a more stable, better handlng experience on your Spyder.

Thanks

Rod
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-01-2022 at 11:30 PM. Reason: of - my %-)