Spyder Garage

Default ISO - grips with air flow

I have been looking for a new pair of grips for my 2016 F3 Special Series, something that would allow more air flow to lessen sweaty hands. Stock flat rubber grips just suck. I'm having trouble finding grips that will fit, aside from going the boring route of foam grips. Anyone put on cool looking (cooler than stock but serves the purpose) aftermarket grips that provide a little more air flow and are happy with them?

Thanks!
    Monica

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Monica View Post
    I have been looking for a new pair of grips for my 2016 F3 Special Series, something that would allow more air flow to lessen sweaty hands. Stock flat rubber grips just suck. I'm having trouble finding grips that will fit, aside from going the boring route of foam grips. Anyone put on cool looking (cooler than stock but serves the purpose) aftermarket grips that provide a little more air flow and are happy with them?

Thanks!
    Monica
    Some folks here have used the Kuryakin brand ..... however because of the thin metal over the actual grips , I don't see any comfort in that ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I just got the leather looking grips from Lamonster and took off the worn out foam grips. So far I like them a lot.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I was looking at those Kuryakyn grips too, but I went on their site and plugged in my bike for fitment and nothing came up. I was thinking the same thing about the metal between the humps, thinking that wouldn't be all that comfy either. Thanks for your input Mike

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I was looking at those Kuryakyn grips too, but I went on their site and plugged in my bike for fitment and nothing came up. I was thinking the same thing about the metal between the humps, thinking that wouldn't be all that comfy either. Thanks for your input Mike
    Kuryakin may not have them listed .... however the handle bars that need special attention to size are Harley Davidson ......some are 1 or 1 1/8 ..... Spyders are normal size ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-16-2022 at 03:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Kuryakin may not have them listed .... however the handle bars that need special attention to size are Harley Daviodson .... some are 1 or 1 1/8 ...... Mike
    I even called my local dealer asking for grip suggestions and just got the "well we only have the foam option". Think I'll talk to the parts guy when I take it in on Thursday for the temporary recall fix. No offense to the parts lady I was talking to but maybe one of the parts guys might know more. (I hope)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Thanks, I actually came across that website! I'll have to research if there is a year range of F3s or if different F3 models have different handlebars to see if any of those Kuryakyn grips would truly fit. I do like the Spear grips...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Kuryakin may not have them listed .... however the handle bars that need special attention to size are Harley Davidson ......some are 1 or 1 1/8 ..... Spyders are normal size ...... Mike
    Hmmm, normal size - the parts lady told me 3/4" Would that be considered "normal"??

Spyder Garage

If AVON has anything that fits you'll never find better stuff.

Spyder Garage

Yes those are the ones from Lamonster that I put on.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

Hmmm, normal size - the parts lady told me 3/4" Would that be considered "normal"??
    Sounds about right ..... but maybe 7/8 " ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    Monica
    Older vid & model:
    https://youtu.be/wJTF1mGsh8M

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I just went from 2 wheels to 3 and Have had Kuryakyn on my last two bikes. They were ok but not exactly comfortable and I would not say they allowed more airflow that you are looking for. I just installed Lamonsters Leather like foam grips on my spyder (very easy install using hand sanitizer) and I would consider them much better and more comfortable than the Kuryakyns I was using on my last two bikes the past 20 years.

John

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revrent View Post
    I just went from 2 wheels to 3 and Have had Kuryakyn on my last two bikes. They were ok but not exactly comfortable and I would not say they allowed more airflow that you are looking for. I just installed Lamonsters Leather like foam grips on my spyder (very easy install using hand sanitizer) and I would consider them much better and more comfortable than the Kuryakyns I was using on my last two bikes the past 20 years.

John
    Helpful information! I was really trying to look for Kuryakyns that would fit since they seem very popular, but if you've been riding with them for x years and weren't that pleased but more pleased with Lamonsters that tells me something. Do you have the same leather-like grips that Dave/MNBK in this thread installed: https://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamo...er-like-grips/ And the smooth leather like foam doesn't make you sweat being a smooth surface with no grooves or ridges to allow air? (maybe a little more breathable than stock rubber grips?)

I don't need anything for vibration, just want to feel less sticky/sweaty on the hot days. I guess I was looking for some kind of grooved grips, but shy'd away from foam thinking back to the old bicycle days with foam grips that left bits of foam on my hands

Spyder Garage

Helpful information! I was really trying to look for Kuryakyns that would fit since they seem very popular, but if you've been riding with them for x years and weren't that pleased but more pleased with Lamonsters that tells me something. Do you have the same leather-like grips that Dave/MNBK in this thread installed: https://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamo...er-like-grips/ And the smooth leather like foam doesn't make you sweat being a smooth surface with no grooves or ridges to allow air? (maybe a little more breathable than stock rubber grips?)

I don't need anything for vibration, just want to feel less sticky/sweaty on the hot days. I guess I was looking for some kind of grooved grips, but shy'd away from foam thinking back to the old bicycle days with foam grips that left bits of foam on my hands
    Many years ago I covered my OEM grips with " scuba dive " water resistant foam ( EDP ? ) , and covered that with deer skin .... complicated and I don't know if would prevent a " sweating issue " ..... my hands don't sweat ..... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Monica, yes the leather like grips from Lamonster are the ones I just installed on my Spyder. I really like them. For me it has taken away a lot of the vibration I was getting in my hands. I have been riding in the morning and later evenings here in Texas with the WX being close to triple digits by the time I get home in the morning. So far they seam to be working very well for me. I also bought a CB4 that works very well with the leather like grips (crampbuster 4) from Amazon that has been working just as well for longer rides when I do not want to turn on my cruise control.

BTW the Kuryakyn grips I had on my last two bikes were not horrible but honestly they were mostly for looks (chrome) than comfort.

I hope the info is helpful
    John

Spyder Garage

I loved riding with the Kury Iso grips on my Goldwing and VTX, but decided to try the foam grips on my spyder. So far I'm very pleased with the feel. But then again, I never ride without some type of gloves on.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Spyder Garage

So just a quick update. When getting the recall done I asked the parts guy about grips. They had the foam grips in stock you put over the stock grips. Might not be bad, but now the grip is bigger than I think I like or am comfortable with. Maybe foam isn’t so bad but I need something that replaces the stock grip so it fits my smaller hands. Lamonster grips seem to be popular on here.