Spyder Garage

Default Waterproof helmet bag needed

We put close to 7000 miles this summer touring with the spyder and tug along trailer. Wife and I always wear the sena Calvary helmets but take full faced helmets in case we hit major rain. This past trip we got caught last week in the huge 3.85 inches of rain that dumped in Tennessee and Virginia. The trailer is full with mini table, tent, cooler, grill and other camping supplies. So no more space in there. The rt saddlebag does not fit 1 HJC full faced helmet. I can fit one in the frunk but that’s to valuable of a space to give up. Ontop of the lid of the trailer we have 2 dry bags tethered For each of us cloths/bedding and pillow in each bag. I also slip on my Nelson Riggs rack bag on the lid of the trailer. This is where I store my full faced helmet. Easy to get to, easy to strap down yet left not using valuable space. The Nelson Riggs route 1 bag is awesome but even with the rain cover, it’s gets soaked because it sits ontop of the trailer lid not on an elevated rack. The water comes in the bottom. I’d like to buy a waterproof helmet bag for each helmet or some type of drybag for the helmets for inside the Nelson Riggs bag. The Nelson Riggs bag is so stable, well built and awesome tie downs, that I still want to use it as the bag to hold stuff even if stuff gets wet inside. Anyone have a waterproof helmet bag they recommend? I’d like to put the helmets in a waterproof bag and then put them in the Nelson Riggs bag for stability.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try checking the scuba dive sites. I've seen dry bags advertised on those sites. Also, rafting adventure sites advertise dry bags. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

I second the above suggestion - there has to be a dry bag big enough to fit the helmet. I would recommend putting the helmet in the soft cover it came with first to reduce the chences of scratching the shield.

BTW - my wife and I do almost the same thing when we pull our trailer, modular helmets for interstate and cold/wet weather, and our half helmets for 2-lane fun. We leave a spot in the trailer for the helmets though since we don't camp.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

I have a helmet with a chin bar that folds all the way back. Or forwards when its crappy or tricky.

Guess you could pop your spare in a plastic bag, then your Nelson Rigg.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 08-15-2022 at 01:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    I have a helmet with a chin bar that folds all the way back. Or forwards when its crappy or tricky.

Guess you could pop your spare in a plastic bag, then your Nelson Rigg.

Ya that’s what we’ve been doing. Wrap in soft helmet sock that comes with it and then garbage bag. It works for the most part just wanting something more permanent like a Drybag. I’ve looked at the duffle Drybag top entrance which will work but need to find the height. Most are 24 long which is fine, 12 inches deep which is fine but I need 14 inches tall. Most are 12 inches. For my helmets to fit they have to point up. The HJC modular has a longer nose so it’s like 13.5 inches. The Nelson Riggs bag holds them very nicely wrapped in the helmet socks and a towel under and in between. Nothing has ever gotten scratched. I’ll keep looking. I also sort of like them ontop of the trailer so it’s easy access if it does pour immediately. If it’s pouring and the helmet is in the trailer, as soon as you lift the top, water goes in and now things get wet inside the trailer. Figured that out the first time I toured with it and got to the campground and opened it to get the tent out. The top doesn’t get raised till I get there. As a side note if you do camp and trailer reverse pack. Tent ontop not bottom like you’d think. If raining I have a tarp to droop over as a mini tent while unloading. I learned a lot this summer!
    Last edited by Wmoater; 08-15-2022 at 03:57 PM.

Spyder Garage

A quick search on Google brought up this bag from Amazon. It doesn't have many reviews, but they're all good.
    There were several other options listed in the Google search; "waterproof motorcycle helmet bag"

Good luck!

--Exco

Spyder Garage

I saw that excoasty, Value accessories has the same bag. I sent an email to them. They replied they don’t think an XL HJC modular full face will fit. It’s made more for 3/4 face. It’s 19 inches flat across which is about 11-11.5 inches round. I will be over there later next week so said I’d bring helmet and try. On another touring motorcycle forum, a bunch of guys said they use a large zipper ziplock storage bag. Much more heavy duty and easier to reuse than garbage bag.

Spyder Garage

Check out the First Gear Dry Pak 40 ltr. You should be able to both helmets in it and it's waterproof. I use that one for trips strapped to the back seat and have never had a problem with stuff staying dry.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

I've had this Sealine waterproof duffel bag for several years now. I use it in the winter for snowmobile "backpack" trips. High quality, durable, will easily fit a helmet. I used it for a week long trip to Nova Scotia in June. https://www.seallinegear.com/packs-d...th-duffel.html

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Ortleib dry bags. Work perfectly! They will have a size for you. I put two helmets in with fleece jackets. Dry. Not cheap, but in hundreds of thousands of miles, dry.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

HERES AN AWESOME SOLUTION AND WORKS! Nelson Riggs makes a cover that is 100 percent waterproof for all their route 1 bags. I agree the cover that came with it kept the top and half the sides dry. The water was coming in the bottom and lower side seams because it sits on a trailer and not a rack. On a motorcycle touring forum I belong to a guy had the same problem and came up with this solution. I tested it with a garden hose and am sure it solves the problem of needing a drybag for the helmets. Nelson Riggs sells the water cover as an accessory too if the original one is lost. Buy another cover and instead of putting over the top, slip it over the bottom. The grommets snap over the straps in reverse and now you have a bottom on the bag waterproof. The cover will never need to be removed since the top can still be accessed with the bag zipper. The handles are covered but no buggy. I can deal with that. So install it on bottom and leave it there. Now buy another cover, use the cover over the top as normal. The top is covered and the sides are actually double covered. He actually bought a third cover and outlines the inside of the bag and folds over in case you have wet stuff you want to put in the bag while there’s dry stuff in there. The covers are $15 and free shipping from Nelson Riggs. Gaurenteed to not leak and seam tape defects for life. He says it works perfect. No water has ever got in bag and the bag can still anchor very secure with the four straps. Ordered 2 additional covers today. The original cover I slip over bottom and sprayed the hose all over the edges and ran water under it and it never leaked through.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 08-18-2022 at 08:08 AM.

Spyder Garage

Solution in pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Darn upside down take 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Good solution. Hey the bag wasn't upside down since the picture was
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Good solution. Hey the bag wasn't upside down since the picture was
    NOW THAT’S FUNNY! great comment, and Thankyou!

Spyder Garage

I have a easier solution, just wear the full face all the time.
    Of course I am biased, I would not be here otherwise.