Spyder Garage

Default Garmin Zumo 595LM - is it the right one for a Spyder?

I have always used my phone for directions, but reading over the Forum has me worried about using my iPhone 13promax. I was thinking about buying a Garmin Zumo 595LM to use instead of the phone. I'm just not sure if it is the right one to get for a Spyder. All input would be very helpful

Thanks all
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-14-2022 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask a question %-)
    2022 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

If you're buying new, I'd go with the Garmin Zumo XT. It's the newest and greatest.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Buy a Quadlock mount for your iPhone. Will pretty much eliminate vibration.
    https://www.quadlockcase.com/collect...one-13-pro-max

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

I have a 595LM and like it. If I were to buy new, I would also get the XT. If I were using my phone, it would not have survived the thunderstorm I got caught in last week. The Garmin did.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Have heard lotsa good comments about the XT! Is mounting for either or both of these easy, maybe even come with a suitable mount? If not, does anyone have a recommended mount to go with whichever is their choice unit?
    2022 RT Ltd, Deep & Dark Marsala

Spyder Garage

I have the Garmin 396. To upgrade I would get a Garmin XT.
    The systems come with basic handlebar mounts
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

I had a the Garmin 590LM for several years (pretty much the same as a 595). I've now got an XT and I've got to say it is a lot better so agree with others that if your going to get one get the XT

Both come with standard ram mounts and the bracket to mount on your bars. though I've fitted ram mounts to my dash as I prefer the screen to be fixed not moving with the bars. These are the bits that came with the XT:

IMG_1406.jpg

The XT doesn't come with a car mount kit but as most cars have built in GPS now its not really an issue. I never used the 590 in the car.
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 08-14-2022 at 11:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

The Zumo 595 is a solid unit. If you can get a good deal on the 595, go for it. The XT has a better display and wifi but they dropped support for the VIRB and TPMS.

Bottom line: XT is the latest & best display if you don't need the camera or TPMS functions and you can find it on sale.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Yep the screen is better and more responsive but the biggest difference for me with the XT vs 590/595 is the software and connectivity.

If your creating complex routes like me then the XT has some big advantages in this area.

590/595
    For complex routes you end up using Garmin Basecamp software.

This has to be installed on a Windows or Mac PC/laptop, and to transfer any route to your GPS you have to connect it with a cable to the laptop. This means I normally have to take my laptop with me to do updates when doing a trip that may change or when the iron butt event I'm doing doesn't disclose the checkpoints until a couple of hours before the start.

Basecamp is comprehensive but complex and fiddly when compared to google maps etc. It feels like it was designed in the 1990's.

XT
    This connects to your wireless network and will receive software/map updates automatically when turned on. It gets new/modified routes in the same way. If your wireless network covers your garage you can leave the GPS on your Spyder and just switch it on to receive any changes. It also helps that the battery on the XT actually works, unlike the 590:-)

To plan routes you use Garmin Explore. From a PC, Laptop, phone or tablet you can access the Garmin Explore web site and plan routes there. There are also dedicated Garmin Explore Apps for apple and android tablets and phones. This means when I'm travelling just having my phone is enough to create and update routes.

Garmin Explore doesn't have some of the fancy stuff of Basecamp, but its faster, easier and the syncing is automatic. There's still a learning curve to get the best out of it but not as much as Basecamp. The maps themselves are nicer with proper topographical, google and satellite options.

Routing and GPX points
    If you've not used software to plan routes on GPS devices before, one thing to be aware of is that when Basecamp, Explore, etc send the route to your device they are only copying the points you've specified not the roads themselves. The GPS device it recalculates the route from those points based on the preferences setup in that device.

If there is a choice of roads and you want to use a particular one its worth putting one or more on these roads to force the GPS to use the right ones. For example I have dirt roads setup as avoid on my device as I don't want it sending me off down them at random - we have a lot of dirt roads in NZ:-) However sometimes if you don't use them you'll end up doing a big detour, so for the instances I'll add a couple of extra points along the dirt road to force the GPS to use it.

Spyder Garage

Absolutely, Piston It is soooooo easy…..pull into your garage, turn off the Spyder, and as long as you have wifi extended to the garage, your XT is automatically updated with the latest software, maps etc etc, ready when you next ride off (if it was the 595 I would worried about running out of battery before the update finished, but not on the XT.) Sure it’s easy enough to do this manually, but it just removes one of the steps. The XT never has to leave your ride……and that screen and route weather/traffic info…..I love mine

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red