Spyder Garage

Default link to air suspension not connected!

I have a couple hundred miles on new 22 rt , a couple time air suspension caution came on. so i read manual and checked air pressure. It was 0 pressure.. So pumped in 50 lbs and next day same thing happened.. No pressure . I found the air valve leaking so i repaired it and now holds pressure.. So after riding again this time with wife the light came on again.. This time air pressure was good. So i read some more and then some checking the shock and the i saw a short link that went to the rear wish bone that the rear axle goes threw and up to a valve disconnected at swing arm. Here is a picture and hopefully after i fix this it may solve the suspension light on dash from coming on after riding a couple miles. You can see link in upper left corner. maybe some one with more knowledge can tell me if im on the right track
    Thanks all
    thumbnail.jpg
    Last edited by budvoss; 08-13-2022 at 04:46 PM.
    2022 RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check your swing arm switch. Make sure the dealer has that hooked up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Check your swing arm switch. Make sure the dealer has that hooked up.
    thanks i will check that . Glad you reset my memory to the swing arm... I will edit my post
    thank you
    2022 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

You are definitely on the right track!

That link is to connect the swing arm to the height sensor, and many dealer/techs forget to hook that up when they assemble the Spyders during pre-delivery; but without that connected, your automatic suspension (ACS) isn't ever going to work properly!!

Now that you've hooked it up, you at least stand a chance that the ACS will work, before, you had absofreakinlutey NO Chance that it'd ever work properly!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-13-2022 at 04:48 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

That link is to connect the swing arm to the height sensor, and many dealer/techs forget to hook that up when they assemble the Spyders during pre-delivery; but without that connected, your automatic suspension (ACS) isn't ever going to work properly!!

Now that you've hooked it up, you at least stand a chance that the ACS will work, before, you had absofreakinlutey NO Chance that it'd ever work properly!
    Thank you very much
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-13-2022 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2022 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

I am amazed at the number of times that this particular issue is raised, Peter. I can’t imagine the connection is done at the factory due to its inconsistency, so you have to assume that some dealers really don’t take much care during their onsite assembly. Mind you, I don’t think that would come as a surprise to members.

Pete

Pete.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

That connection is part of the setup I'd say that's incompetence By the person putting it together That has happened many times Can you imagine you paid for the setup good money

Spyder Garage

Budvoss, the new style Spyders are shipped from Canada with some of the rear suspension fasteners removed allowing a better fit in the shipping crate.

When shipped, the lower shock bolt, as shown in your photo will not be installed. The follow up link that you found missing the bolt is also not installed for shipping.

Unfortunately, some dealers have failed to correctly assemble Spyders for delivery. This in the case of rear suspension, has seen lower shock bolts where the nut was not tightened and the bolt backed out, others did not have the crush spacer installed, which prevents correct tightening of the shock bolt AND the structural support for the shock bolt.

The bolt you did find missing, does control the rear suspension air ride. It is also an item the dealer was expected to correctly install and tighten prior to delivery.

Spyder Garage

Just for kicks, while you're on the floor putting a bolt in that connection, I would check that shock bolt that PMK's talking about!!! And check the lug nuts and back axle nut, they are all part of the assembly parts, what else did they forget to tighten!!! Good Luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Just for kicks, while you're on the floor putting a bolt in that connection, I would check that shock bolt that PMK's talking about!!! And check the lug nuts and back axle nut, they are all part of the assembly parts, what else did they forget to tighten!!! Good Luck!!
    While I agree, it would be best to verify the lower shock bolt and applicable spacers, crush sleeve, washers and nut are assembled correctly, not everyone has the means or desire to jack up their new Spyder and verify it was done properly.

The other guy that posted here that had the followup link not connected, pretty sure his lower shock bolt partially fell out. Fortunately he was not riding it at the time. It was inside his enclosed trailer being taken on a vacation.

Spyder Garage

Fixed up the disconnected link and checked as much as i could while on the lift. Went out on a 50 mile ride and no check light for suspension .
    thanks for all the help guys
    2022 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by budvoss View Post
    Fixed up the disconnected link and checked as much as i could while on the lift.
    I'm sure Peter will chime in here but if I recall correctly your Spyder needs to be hooked up to BUDS now to have the ride height properly calibrated after installation of the link.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

And if all that wasn't done properly on initial setup, is the headlight aim set correctly. Just got back from my first real late night ride and had waaay too many folks flash their brights at me. Went through the Maintenance manual headlight aiming and on low beam they were about a foot high at the 10m mark. I probably really Pi***ed off the folks I was following.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    I'm sure Peter will chime in here but if I recall correctly your Spyder needs to be hooked up to BUDS now to have the ride height properly calibrated after installation of the link.
    I’m not sure that is required on the 20+ RT models, Dave and David G. I get on the RT and the bag adjusts…..my wife then gets on and the bag adjusts again. The headlights remain in the correct height position against the far wall as recommended in the workshop manual, and my ‘21 RT was definitely not calibrated to my weight at purchase. Perhaps the 20+ with its LED lighting has an inbuilt headlight leveller of some kind…….of course, I do NOT know that for a fact

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

PeteAus ( my ''18 also has the automated ACS and does a bit of adjusting when my wife get's on or off, but somehow my '18's headlights were aimed so high, I couldn't see the flat low beam cut off line on the road at night, it seemed like when I put my high beams on the view down the road didn't change (the lighting appeared the same). After several turns down using the manual's aiming measurements, we took it out tonight and now had properly aimed lights. Are the '20+ lights not adjustable by the bright brass adjusters under the side covers? I've never seen a 20+ headlight removal but assume they must have some adjusters somewhere.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I’m not sure that is required on the 20+ RT models, Dave and David G. I get on the RT and the bag adjusts…..my wife then gets on and the bag adjusts again. The headlights remain in the correct height position against the far wall as recommended in the workshop manual, and my ‘21 RT was definitely not calibrated to my weight at purchase. Perhaps the 20+ with its LED lighting has an inbuilt headlight leveller of some kind…….of course, I do NOT know that for a fact

Pete
    Yes but it needs to be calibrated to begin with. With no weight on it, etc. The system needs to know where to start to keep it level.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Yes but it needs to be calibrated to begin with. With no weight on it, etc. The system needs to know where to start to keep it level.
    Ahhhhhh. Gotcha, Dave . My arm was connected when I received my RT, so I would have to assume they calibrated it at the same time.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Heck i dont dare bring it back to the dealer i bought it from..The fella that put my ride together said it was his first one to build.. I about spit out my drink when he told me that.. Turns out they fired the two long time mechanics and why they did not tell me why.. Im getting so i cant trust any shop anymore. Heck i have a 21 f250 diesel. I always have the dealer do oil change .Had to make a quick trip and dealer did not have time to get oil changed . I ended up doing it myself. I drained 26 quarts out of a engine that only holds 13.. I have to say i was shocked and pissed at same time.. Talked with the service manger at ford and got the same ol runaround that i was expecting.. No more dealer oil changes for me...
    2022 RT Limited