Spyder Garage

Default Need to Tow my 2018 RT - any options? Does U-haul have a suitable trailer?

We will be moving from NY to NH next summer. Does U haul have a trailer that works? Other options?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deaconmike View Post
    We will be moving from NY to NH next summer. Does U haul have a trailer that works? Other options?
    Try uship they work great they bid on your job u pick with who u use

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtoro1 View Post
    Try uship they work great they bid on your job u pick with who u use
    Thank you, I hadn’t thought of that!

Spyder Garage

You could most likely use a utility-style trailer from u-Haul if that is the route that you want to use. I purchased a 6X12 utility trailer shortly after I purchased my Spyder. I use it for more than the bike, but I upgraded from a 5X10 so that it would fit. So far I have only taken it in for service, but it fit fine and rode very well.

--Exco

Spyder Garage

If you don’t tell them what you’re actually putting in there ... a U-Haul enclosed 6x12 with double swing-out doors has fit our F3-S into it. Might double-check the width of the RT, but I would think it is the same. Make SURE you get the double swing doors; the opening on the roll-up door is not quite wide enough.

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When we bought my wife's '17 RT (used), I rented a 6 x 12 U-Haul open trailer. Be aware that they have two versions. One has a short ramp/tailgate, the other has just a short tailgate. DO NOT use the one with the ramp. It has gussets at the back that brace the side walls that bring the width of the opening to about 5', which is not enough. You WILL need ramps (three, obviously) to load the Spyder. Fortunately, we already had a pair of folding 10' ramps that my sons got to load their bikes into their pickups, I only had to fabricate a third one.

To keep the load somewhat balanced, I determined where the center of gravity was on the Spyder and placed it just ahead of the center of the tandem axles of the trailer. To keep the bike there, I placed a 6' 2x4 in front of the wheels to keep them from going forward. I then placed a 2x4 from the front corner of the trailer, outside of the front tires, to keep the bike from sliding sideways, and screwed the two 2x4s where they crossed. I then used a ratchet strap through each front wheel to the front corners, and two ratchet straps through the rear wheel, one to each rear corner. Bike was very secure, did not move for the 300+ miles home.

No matter what trailer you get, you may have to modify the ramps to keep from bottom out the frunk. Longer side ramps and a shorter center ramp seem to do well.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone! I may just ride it to NH and take a bus home. Might be less expensive than renting and modifying a trailer. I don’t transport it enough to justify buying one.

Spyder Garage

When I moved from Connecticut to Texas in , I used HaulBikes. I was VERY happy with their service. It took a few weeks for my Spyder to arrive in Austin, but that was fine. The Spyder was in perfect condition; it only took about 10 minutes to get it out of the trailer. I was also really happy with the price-as I recall it was about $825.00 or so. I highly recommend them.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I used HaulBikes to get the Daytona from Michigan to south Texas. Was ~$900, which I thought pretty reasonable. Wait was about 4 weeks. But, all 1st class rigs and treatment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BCNewell; 08-14-2022 at 03:05 PM.

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For that short of a distance I think you ought to ride it up there and come back on the train!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone! I may just ride it to NH and take a bus home. Might be less expensive than renting and modifying a trailer. I don’t transport it enough to justify buying one.
    It will be absolutely less expensive ..... and a nice day it will be much more fun ..... go for it .... Mike