Spyder Garage

Default 2015 F3 S - Anything sinister I should know about?

Advancing years (73) and a concern that I was loosing confidence riding big two wheelers caused me to sell my Gold Wing and buy a 2014 BMW C650 maxi scooter as an urban run about. I bought a 2021 RTL for the winters in California but still have a desire to do more touring in Western Canada in the summers so I have been on the lookout for a Spyder that would let me tour but not ding my daughter’s inheritance too badly…….

I have come across a 2015 F3 S with about 10,500 kms (6500 miles) on it. The bike is in very good shape with a solid service record. It comes pretty loaded - Baja Ron sway bar, LED driving lights, Shad saddle bags with liners, OEM drivers and passenger backrest, and a bunch of other goodies. It’s listed at Can $17k or about US $13k. There is also another bike same model and year slightly more mileage but less goodies listed at Can $15,500 which I am seeing tomorrow.

I know about the front sprocket recall, I spoke to the dealer and the bike is registered for the sprocket replacement when the parts arrive.

I expect that the battery and tires (due to age not mileage) might need replacement soon but are there any other issues or particular concerns with this model and year?

Thanks in advance
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Palm Desert)
    Grey - dark edition

2015 Spyder F3 S (Vancouver)

2017 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer

Spyder Garage

It should have had a brace under the seat recall an if its Manual transmission you need to be Popeye or have your dealer install the vacuum assist on the clutch which was a kit they could buy. I have 23,000 mile and runs great!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Should have mentioned both potential bikes are semi- automatics
    Grey - dark edition

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PeterKelly View Post
    Should have mentioned both potential bikes are semi- automatics
    I've been here a long long time ...... BRP took a long long time to hopefully find a Final fix for the DESS module. It took them quite a few years to fix something that their engineers BROKE ..... Prior to 2015 the front SPROCKET was not an issue .... maybe BRP broke that also ....good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-13-2022 at 10:23 AM.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Prior to 2015 the front SPROCKET was not an issue .... maybe BRP broke that also ....good luck .... Mike
    I have thought that same thing. But last fall, when I took my 2016 F3T in for the pulley fix, my dealership told me that they had done most of their replacements locally on 2009-2013 trikes. It really surprised me since I rarely read of failures of those models in here. But he stated that was the majority of their fixes so far.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I pulled the plug on the "loaded" one and pick it up tomorrow. I am leaving for a three day trip to the interior of BC on Thursday so will have a good chance to test it and see what mods are needed. I suspect there are Ultimate floorboards in my immediate future

My signature reflects the up to date stable - a bit more than a year ago I wasn't even thinking about Spyders and now I own two.....
    Last edited by PeterKelly; 08-15-2022 at 02:12 PM.
    Grey - dark edition

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I have thought that same thing. But last fall, when I took my 2016 F3T in for the pulley fix, my dealership told me that they had done most of their replacements locally on 2009-2013 trikes. It really surprised me since I rarely read of failures of those models in here. But he stated that was the majority of their fixes so far.
    IMHO you were lied to ...... or if they believe what they are saying ...... RUN from them ..... Mike