Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default How I nearly died on vacation!!!!

I'll try and be brief ..... I wanted to have a full gas tank when I left for Long Is. NY on Sat. ... So I headed off to a nearby gas station..... I drove in and turned around so I could exit onto a two lane road with less traffic. .... As I was exiting at the curb to make a left, ( and signaling ) a large SUV was in that lane and stopped signaling to make a left turn ( into gas station ???? ) I made sure the opposite traffic was clear for me to drive out .... So I started to do so, and saw a black SUV go left of center AROUND THE STOPPED SUV going through two well marked safety island's at over 30 mph..... Luckily for me I didn't hesitate and Floored the accelerator ..... The opr. blew His horn ( and maybe applied the brakes, it didn't look like it ) and missed me by 5-7 ft. .... Had I not accelerated ( and tried to stop ) I would have been T-boned.... and Yes I needed new underwear , a short drive later that was accomplished. My normal driving style is ... I make sure I can accomplish what I want to do ( while driving ) and then I don't hesitate ...I DO IT .... This has worked so far , so I'll keep doing this ..... That's my story .... please drive safe - there are thousands of idiots driving veh's ....... PS I had a great vacation other than this incident ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

There really are some dangerous drivers out there, aren't there! Glad you avoided that one tho!

And glad that you had a great vacation other than that incident too!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad you made it back home safe and had a great trip other than the one miss hap.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

so glad to hear you are safe and had a good vacation.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad you're ok.

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you had a happy ending!
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Spyder Garage

Thank you, Mike. Glad you're safe. There ARE idiots driving. I am currently in the middle of a summer tour. Have logged a little over 1,800 miles so far and plan to do another 2,500 in the next couple of weeks. In my old age, I guess I've gotten religion. I do say a little prayer each morning before getting on the road. That praying is something one of the groups I ride with does before every ride...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Goes to show that driving whatever vehicle, Bike, Motorcycle, Car, Bus, Truck, you always have to be aware, someone else may not....
    Glad you came out on the good side Mike, Wish you many safe miles, and enjoy the rest of your vacation.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-10-2022 at 01:51 AM. Reason: iles .... %-)
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK ( other than a change of underwear) On our way back from the 3 wheel rally ( and before getting covid symptoms) Nova and I almost got nailed by some fool in a p/u truck coming off Hwy 80. BTW: Spyders have REALLY good brakes.........

Lew L
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-12-2022 at 04:54 PM. Reason: ware - wear ;-)
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

Glad you are OK ( other than a change of underwear) On our way back from the 3 wheel rally ( and before getting covid symptoms) Nova and I almost got nailed by some fool in a p/u truck coming off Hwy 80. BTW: Spyders have REALLY good brakes.........

Lew L
    ... but in my case if I had tried to stop ( He was tooooooo close and going to fast ) I would have gotten killed. Nailing the throttle was my only option. ...... Thanks .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-12-2022 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not sure I would have the instincts to react correctly in either Mike's or Lew's situation. I hope so, and I'm glad you both did the appropriate thing.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

There's always drivers out there who consider saving 10 seconds is worth someone else's life. Glad you came out on the plus side Mike.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'm not sure I would have the instincts to react correctly in either Mike's or Lew's situation. I hope so, and I'm glad you both did the appropriate thing.
    Pete actually when I finally saw the Attacking veh. ( it came from behind a large SUV ) I was exiting the Gas station I just kept going ( only Faster ) ..... My driving style is generally - once I decide it's safe to do a driving maneuver I DO NOT hesitate, ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Were any of these vehicles a Dodge? I swear they are owned by the worst drivers.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Pete actually when I finally saw the Attacking veh. ( it came from behind a large SUV ) I was exiting the Gas station I just kept going ( only Faster ) ..... My driving style is generally - once I decide it's safe to do a driving maneuver I DO NOT hesitate, ..... Mike
    Great instincts. That probably was helpful as a LEO.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenfish View Post
    Were any of these vehicles a Dodge? I swear they are owned by the worst drivers.
    I thought it was BMWs
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenfish View Post

I thought it was BMWs
    again - not them either??

Nooo, the worst drivers have juust gotta be the driver's of Volvos!

Or maybe that's meant to be Toyota's??

Or was it Bitsamishin.... errr, Mitsubishi

No no no, now I remember, it's ..... Fo... nah.... maybe not them either?!?

I know, I know - when you're ryding any sorta trike/motorcycle, it's ANY CAGE or TRUCK DRIVER

Just ryde like they're all out to get you and you might stand a chance!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Prayers

....For the Safety when we Ryde.
    You never know when things are going to happen.
    Glad you are okay. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Mike and I both live in what can be called "tourist destinations" . At this time of year, the uptick in traffic creates many interesting situations. One has to be extra cautious. Yesterday I had an outlander pull a u turn in front of me and oncoming traffic that had me inhaling sharply. I watched in my mirror and determined that he wanted to stop at a pizza shop and had missed it. Must have been real hungry.!!

Spyder Garage

They are getting dumber every day. I have seen more near misses , most head on's in the last few years than I care to think about.
    The wife thinks I am joking when I say I want to hook up machine guns to the horn button ( aka James Bound)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... but in my case if I had tried to stop ( He was tooooooo close and going to fast ) I would have gotten killed. Nailing the throttle was my only option. ...... Thanks .... Mike
    There was a time when I used to live by the phrase " When in doubt---- Gas it"
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    There was a time when I used to live by the phrase " When in doubt---- Gas it"
    ... now I lean more to STOPPING .... However I have re-run what happened quite a few times and stopping would have killed me

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Today we were heading out on a week long camping trip to Yellowstone, Cody, etc. Traffic was generally light on US-89 heading north thru rural Wyoming. Occasionally there would be a small grouping of vehicles bunched behind an RV or farm truck, waiting for an opportunity to pass.

We were on a straight stretch of 2-lane road and the sky was darkening with the threat of a rainshower. Coming toward us about a 1/4 mile away was one of those groups of about 6 vehicles. The one in the lead was a pickup truck towing a travel trailer. None of the vehicles had their lights on, so it was difficult to separate them visually from the road and fields. As they got within about an eighth of a mile, a dull brown sedan in the middle of the pack pulled into my lane, trying to pass the vehicle in front and there's no way he was going to make it before I closed on him. On my right there was no shoulder, a shallow ditch and then a fenced field. I cut my throttle and applied the brakes lightly, thinking I would exit right, but by then the group of cars was passing me and fortunately the brown car found an opening and got back in his lane just as we passed.

I guess I should have been expecting someone to do something stupid and be prepared for it. But, I have to admit that two hours into an idyllic ride, I had become a little more complacent than I should have. We lucked out pure and simple.

20220811_135851.jpg
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-11-2022 at 09:41 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Today we were heading out on a week long camping trip to Yellowstone, Cody, etc. Traffic was generally light on US-89 heading north thru rural Wyoming. Occasionally there would be a small grouping of vehicles bunched behind an RV or farm truck, waiting for an opportunity to pass.

We were on a straight stretch of 2-lane road and the sky was darkening with the threat of a rainshower. Coming toward us about a 1/4 mile away was one of those groups of about 6 vehicles. The one in the lead was a pickup truck towing a travel trailer. None of the vehicles had their lights on, so it was difficult to separate them visually from the road and fields. As they got within about an eighth of a mile, a dull brown sedan in the middle of the pack pulled into my lane, trying to pass the vehicle in front and there's no way he was going to make it before I closed on him. On my right there was no shoulder, a shallow ditch and then a fenced field. I cut my throttle and applied the brakes lightly, thinking I would exit right, but by then the group of cars was passing me and fortunately the brown car found an opening and got back in his lane just as we passed.

I guess I should have been expecting someone to do something stupid and be prepared for it. But, I have to admit that two hours into an idyllic ride, I had become a little more complacent than I should have. We lucked out pure and simple.

20220811_135851.jpg
    Glad nothing happened ..... you can go thru life thinking something horrific is about to happen ( and ruin your life ) because it's possible .... however even if your thinking it might, if it does that thought process won't help ..... you either learn / know how to drive defensively ( all the time ) or you don't ... Example I live in winter driving conditions 5 mos. a year , there are some folks who never understand , when skidding you turn INTO the skid ..... if not you will Spin. When I was an LEO , I was sent to a Winter driving school to learn the way to drive on snow/ ice. ..... during my " graveyard shifts " I / we would go to very large parking lots and practice .... we didn't damage any cruisers and really learned how to drive quite fast Safely ...... JMHO .... Mike