Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Cyberattack on BRP

Yesterday August 8th 2022. BRP had a cyberattack. Suspending it's operations. At least that's what the news stories say. Here is link to one of the many news stories on the subject.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9047589/q...o-cyberattack/

BRPs news release.

https://news.brp.com/news-releases/n...ts-cyberattack

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

uggh!

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lovely more parts and delivery delays, just lovely. Just pray your left hand control cluster or any thing else nowadays doesn't go out anytime soon.

Pandemic , fires at factories, now this. Not looking good for BRP but I guess they must be making some sort of money to be able to buy out pinion gearboxes this week.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 08-13-2022 at 03:08 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That'll really help things !

Spyder Garage

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Hacker is either waiting for parts to take delivery on his 2022 or angry with front pulley recall..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Production at Valcourt still down after 2 days.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Default BRP Cyber event??

I was talking to the Service Dept at a local dealer and they mentioned that BRP suffered a “cyber event” this week and that some or all of their systems are down.

Has anyone else heard this?
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Palm Desert)
    Grey - dark edition

2015 Spyder F3 S (Vancouver)

2017 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PeterKelly View Post
    I was talking to the Service Dept at a local dealer and they mentioned that BRP suffered a “cyber event” this week and that some or all of their systems are down.

Has anyone else heard this?
    I'm guessing that the cyber attack is the reason for this post?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

The news this morning said that BRP would be down for another week because of the cyber attack.

Spyder Garage

A perfect storm "Murphy's Law" application.

not much more I can say on this subject.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

BRP needs to hire competent IT personnel. Data should have been backed up and key systems shouldn't have had internet access.
    21 Spyder base F3

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    BRP needs to hire competent IT personnel. Data should have been backed up and key systems shouldn't have had internet access.
    A rather simplistic answer considering we have no idea what actually happened. And what we also don't know is how many companies have been crippled by cyber attacks because they don't disclose such negative information.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    A rather simplistic answer considering we have no idea what actually happened. And what we also don't know is how many companies have been crippled by cyber attacks because they don't disclose such negative information.
    I work in IT and can't tell you how many systems I have seen where the administrators haven't locked out remote admin, they haven't secured configuration of the web server software/OS, or haven't isolated key systems. We probably won't know what caused the shutdown, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.
    21 Spyder base F3

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

News release from BRP. 4 facilities are restarting today and the rest will be restarting this week. The malware infiltration came through a 3rd party service provider.

https://news.brp.com/news-releases/n...er-cyberattack

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

That's what I would say, to the public....
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    That's what I would say, to the public....
    Cynical much....??
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I work in IT and can't tell you how many systems I have seen where the administrators haven't locked out remote admin, they haven't secured configuration of the web server software/OS, or haven't isolated key systems. We probably won't know what caused the shutdown, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.
    It is possible that there has been some mistake or that the company's management has said that famous phrase: "we manufacture motorcycles, we are not a bank" in order to save money, but as a former head of security for a multinational during a lot of years I can guarantee that "the bad guys" almost always are one step ahead
    2018 Spyder F3 Ltd
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

Makes me wonder what kind of delay this is going to put on the reverse actuator I am waiting on for my 2022 RTL?
    2020 RTL , Chalk metallic

Spyder Garage

e e
    I am also in IT at a fairly large corp and an avid follower of the Darknet Diaries podcast. There is a pretty high probability that BRP did not get compromised by an attack on one of their external (internet) facing applications. Attacks like this usually come from the inside, where companies don't have the level of security like they do on their external facing applications. They probably got in through some sort of phishing or social engineering attack against them or a vendor (I now see it was a vendor). These cyber attacks come from sophisticated groups that use social media to target specific colleagues that might have access to key systems. All they need to do is get them to click on some link and either capture their credentials or get a piece of malware installed on their computer and the door is open. All it takes is some server in their environment that has a really old operating system that has not been patched or has known vulnerabilities (Windows Server 2003 or 2008 for example) and they have an easy path straight to their core network. These cyber criminals just don't get in and start encrypting stuff. They sit and watch for weeks sometimes to learn the network and insure they have access to as many systems as possible. They also look at things like backup systems to make sure they disable (encrypt) those too so you can't just restore everything easily and avoid paying the ransom. There are specific backup solutions that protect you from this sort of thing but they can be expensive to implement. Once they get their encryption software planted undetected to their satisfaction they will download key data as a means to entice you to pay the ransom. If all you had to do is restore everything from backup there is no incentive to pay, but when they tell you they are going to post your entire customer database on the dark web for anyone to download along with all of your classified information, people tend to pay to get the key to unencrypt everything. The odd thing is that these cyber criminals have a business model and will typically give you the key and not post your data if you pay. They need to have a reputation of following through or nobody would ever pay them.

So my guess is that BRP will be investing heavily in better network monitoring software and software more than just virus software to lock down their laptops/desktops/servers. It's a constant game to stay ahead of the criminals these days.
    Last edited by DanDanTMM; 08-15-2022 at 07:39 PM.
    2021 Spyder RT-L Deep Marsalsa Metalic

Spyder Garage

@DanDanTMM, well said sir. It is obvious you have a very good grasp of this situation.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

This situation is killing me I traded my Ryker 2 weeks ago on a 2022 F3-t that was in stock and actually on the floor. Great, no supply issues...except due to this cyber attack, the BRP back-end system that dealers use is down so they can't process my sale I have a Spyder..right there...ready to go...except I can't have it. AGGGHHHH

It's incredible how long they have been down now - this must have been huge.

Spyder Garage

Guppy where in Ontario are you ?
    What dealer is it?
    If I can get my two wheeler sold, I am looking for a Ryker.