Spyder Garage

Default Another belt tension question

I have done quite a bit of searching for belt tension specs. for my 2014 RTL. The latest TSB
    I found was dated 2015, stating the tension should be 630n +-100 with rear wheel off the ground. Does anyone know if more recent guidance has been published?

Thanks

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bsavulis View Post
    I have done quite a bit of searching for belt tension specs. for my 2014 RTL. The latest TSB
    I found was dated 2015, stating the tension should be 630n +-100 with rear wheel off the ground. Does anyone know if more recent guidance has been published?

Thanks
    Not from BRP, as far as I've heard ..... do you have a SONIC meter ???? .... if not buy a Gates KriKit II from Ron ..... my 14 RT is at 160lbs with wheel on the ground and I love it ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-09-2022 at 09:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

+1 on the 160lbs rydes great with very little belt vibration noticed
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage
    Last edited by Isopedella; 08-09-2022 at 12:19 AM.

Spyder Garage

I do have a KriKit II from Ron. My tension is 220 with the rear wheel raised. Lifted from the back part of the frame just ahead of the cat/muffler. I guess that is WAY too tight!

Thanks for the info! Always appreciated!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I do have a KriKit II from Ron. My tension is 220 with the rear wheel raised. Lifted from the back part of the frame just ahead of the cat/muffler. I guess that is WAY too tight!

Thanks for the info! Always appreciated!
    Someone may clarify this , but my understanding is that 160 on the ground is equal to 180 off the ground...... I don't go to the trouble of jacking the Spyder up because I use 160 .... if I raised it, it would read 180..... I'm old and a bit lazy so I don't bother ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I thought raising off ground till shock limits, would have a lower tension reading. Lowering back to ground would make tension a little higher reading. No reason to raise, don't have to spin tire to check or adjust tension
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I just check it on the deck. Careful if the motor is running as the pipe is not that far away. I placed a spare finger on it. Yeha! My Krikit lives in the LHS saddle bag.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    I thought raising off ground till shock limits, would have a lower tension reading. Lowering back to ground would make tension a little higher reading. No reason to raise, don't have to spin tire to check or adjust tension
    That is why you can raise it up and walk the belt off and not have to mess with the adjusters.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    That is why you can raise it up and walk the belt off and not have to mess with the adjusters.
    I know and understand this, but only talking tension here, not tire replace or adjust
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I found was dated 2015, stating the tension should be 630n +-100 with rear wheel off the ground. Does anyone know if more
    Thanks
    If you are fighting vibrations, a smooth spider belt tensioner will absolutely get rid of them.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-10-2022 at 01:53 AM.

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have been happy with 200 off the ground, when I lowered it to 160 I was getting a lot of belt vibration in a wide range of speed between 45-55 MPH instead of 75-80.

At 200 I still get some vibration but it is in a smaller range at 62-65 so I just avoid those speeds.

I thought about a belt tensioner but I would rather live with the vibration or just avoid that speed.

I choose to minimize the risk of drivetrain failure rather than adding in a belt tensioner as that is adding in an additional part that needs maintenance or that can fail and damage the belt while underway.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 08-10-2022 at 04:31 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    I know and understand this, but only talking tension here, not tire replace or adjust
    Sorry bout that Wood, just adding a real world example for others to your comment.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange