Spyder Garage

Default Low fuel light problems & dash gauge errors - any ideas

Hi again; Briteyes here. I have a 2016 RT Limited with 33240 miles. On my vacation trip the low fuel icon would come on right after I fueled my bike, it would sporadically go off and come back on, and my fuel gauge would drop down to empty right after I fueled up. Also, in the mornings after sitting all night, the temperature gauge would read that it was warm already; & the the brake failure icon would come on. I've checked all the fuses and relays and all are good and tight. Any ideas on what would be causing this?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-06-2022 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask question ;-)

Spyder Garage

The low fuel warning lights and the fuel gauges themselves are notoriously inaccurate on Spyders/Rykers, altho they did get a little better from 2014 on. Still, what you describe is not unheard of (as I can personally attest! ) and while you MIGHT improve things by replacing the fuel pump with its integrated gauge & low fuel sender unit, the fuel tank hast come at least partially out so it's not an easy job to do (ie. it'll cost a fair whack of dealer tech labour time or more time plus some cusswords & leaky red stuff if you do it! ) and if you do replace it with an OEM part you are simply replacing one dodgy sender with another potentially dodgy sender, so there's a good chance you'll end up with the same problem at some stage - in my case, it was sooner rather than later! So I just live with my extremely inaccurate gauge & the light being wonky like that - best I had was it going from full to empty in less than 18 kms after a fill up & showing the low fuel light UNTIL it was almost empty, then it went out!! Mind you, I still rode for another 200km on the gas that was definitely in the tank! Just reset a trip meter to zero every time you fill, and over time work out roughly how far you can rely on getting from a tank of gas even when it's running at its worse ever mpg, & then ALWAYS refill before you get that far &/or run out!! These fuel pumps DO NOT like running dry, it damages them & over time, eventually destroys them cos they NEED about 1/4 tank of gas remaining in the tank to safely/properly cool & lubricate the fuel pump that's submerged in whatever gas is left in the tank! So DON'T run it dry!

That said, the fact that you are ALSO having other dash/gauge problems suggests there juuust might be some other dash/gauge issue going on. . Often, weird dash gauge problems like these are the first sign of a dead or dying battery, so check that for charge; get it load tested; and make sure all the terminals & any grounds you can find are making good contact with clean, bare metal & they are tight - use/install star washers if you haven't already! And if your battery is much more than saaay, 4 years old, it might be time to replace it anyway, just for Justin.... . Other than that, have you tried taking out the screws & gently leaning the entire dash module forwards out of it's housing so that you can check the back of it for any signs of damage &/or loose connections?? Possibly the connector on the back has vibrated loose, or there could be some water in places it shouldn't be?!?

Over to you! Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Do you know if your Spyder has the Magic Mirrors installed on it? The magnets can mess with the analog guages. If your's has the Magic Mirrors on it try taking off the top magnets on each mirror and turning them around. It has been reported here that this has happened ..
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

I had that happen to me when I installed the magic mirrors, so I just took them out and went with the digital display that comes on when you unhook the analog gauges!! I think they work better and you can get the caps to fill the holes in the dash, and in turn that will give you a spot to install power ports or other things!! Sorry I got off topic, back to the question at hand, I would start with a load test on the battery, if that's ok, I would spend some time cleaning ground connections!! I hate electrical Gremlins!!! Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Could be a ground wire not making good contact somewhere in the system. Bad ground can cause all sorts of trickery and can be tough to find.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It seems you're having all sorts of electrical system gremlins. Start with a good battery, securely connected battery post terminal wires and work downstream from there, checking all connections as you go, particularly anywhere previous owners have added farkles.

I found a corroded after-market accessory wire connection on my wife's bike.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-07-2022 at 11:29 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Magic mirrors are most likely the culprit if you have them installed. Magic mirrors=mirrors held on with magnets instead of OEM clips.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Magic mirrors are most likely the culprit if you have them installed. Magic mirrors=mirrors held on with magnets instead of OEM clips.
    They don't affect my gauges
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    They don't affect my gauges
    Nor mine!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Flip the magnets, and you'll see, that they are casusing problems... 50 percent chance, to put them in the good or bad way, they will work, but the wrong side of the magnet pole, is known to start problems...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Bought the Spyder new; I’ve had the magic mirrors on couple years. My fuel gauge not working has just happened in the last couple months, I can live with counting miles. The temperature gauge has been acting weird for 4 times now, where it will register in the middle like it’s already warmed up in the morning, I pulled the dash out yesterday and tested both plugins, the fuel gauge had power and when testing the back of the fuel analog gauge the light came on and the gauge worked, so that’s a probably a bad wire or sending unit or sensor is out like I said I can trip the mileage every time I fill.

But when I tested the temperature analog gauge I had power coming from the end attached to the Spyder, but when I tested the back of the temperature analog gauge nothing no light and the gauge didn’t move. Would you say the temperature analog gauge is stuck or could it be the temperature sensor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.