Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Dead battery after random person turned my hazard lights on

So I came back to my parked F3 today and found the hazard lights flashing and it wouldn’t turn over

While waiting for my jump start to arrive….

I’m looking to solutions for three things:
    1) is there a kit to wire up a kill switch for anything that can be powered on by a random person who walks by?
    2) is there a recommended wiring kit to make the battery terminals accessible?
    3) is there a recommended portable lithium ion jumpstarter for motorcycles?

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

That sucks.

I carry a Schumacher 600 Amp jump starter. Very compact unit. It won't start a large V8 but great on motorcycles, 4 and 6 cylinder cars. It's like $60 at Walmart. Did I mention that it was small.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    That sucks.

I carry a Schumacher 600 Amp jump starter. Very compact unit. It won't start a large V8 but great on motorcycles, 4 and 6 cylinder cars. It's like $60 at Walmart. Did I mention that it was small.
    Thanks! Yeah, small is good. I've got one for my SUV and its a pretty large brick.
    Of course the one time I ended up needing that one.... I had just put it inside and was charging it

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Thanks! Does putting a direct cut off on the main battery cause issues with the electronics if they are powered off for an extended period of time?

Of course maybe it won't matter if I really just put a new battery in the Spyder... it is 7 years old, a new battery would likely hold up to a few flashes of lights for an hour.....

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post
    Thanks! Does putting a direct cut off on the main battery cause issues with the electronics if they are powered off for an extended period of time?
    Not that I know of.
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Best Guess

Of course maybe it won't matter if I really just put a new battery in the Spyder... it is 7 years old, a new battery would likely hold up to a few flashes of lights for an hour.....
    Well, my Tip if your current battery is 7 years old, I would recommend replacing it.

As for the battery cut-off switch. Have you experienced this problem a handful of times? I never had a problem with someone messing with my Spyder.
    If you need it I guess install the cut-off switch. Or maybe stay away from that neighborhood/area of town.

Good Luck with your Mission. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

So I came back to my parked F3 today and found the hazard lights flashing and it wouldn’t turn over

While waiting for my jump start to arrive….

I’m looking to solutions for three things:
    1) is there a kit to wire up a kill switch for anything that can be powered on by a random person who walks by?
    2) is there a recommended wiring kit to make the battery terminals accessible?
    3) is there a recommended portable lithium ion jumpstarter for motorcycles?
    1:No known kit Sorry (would likely interfere/reset trip meters & possibly other settings)
    2: There are some extensions (jump ports)for easier jump access. (Some varieties move to external locations)
    & battery mounted
    https://www.lamonstergarage.com/batt...ers-lamonster/
    3: https://www.lamonstergarage.com/rugg...-jump-starter/
    (Looks like newer style unit, previous had tire tread look) new battery good idea, especially if was original & seriously depleted.
    Last edited by Bfromla; 08-06-2022 at 02:23 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Hoping that was a random incident. Sorry this happened to you.
    Your posting keeps us on our toes that “they” are out there.
    I used to see tamper-proof alarm systems for bikes in bike magazines.
    Haven’t seen or heard about them in years now but you might do some internet searching to see what might be out there.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    Hoping that was a random incident. Sorry this happened to you.
    Your posting keeps us on our toes that “they” are out there.
    I used to see tamper-proof alarm systems for bikes in bike magazines.
    Haven’t seen or heard about them in years now but you might do some internet searching to see what might be out there.
    Yeah, I mean it couldn't have been targeting me personally as its about 20 miles from where I live. Street parking in high traffic areas is always playing roulette ....

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Check out "Project Farm" on You Tube. Here is a link, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8A2nIMUWA
    He has alot of great reviews on all kinds of stuff. I bought the Audew battery pack. It has worked good so far. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    Check out "Project Farm" on You Tube. Here is a link, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8A2nIMUWA
    He has alot of great reviews on all kinds of stuff. I bought the Audew battery pack. It has worked good so far. Bruce
    That's my guess...bored kids...back in the day we used to smash pumpkins, steal (and later replace) Lancer hubcaps, etc.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I did find the Spyder jump port mod that seems somewhat popular. I guess it bothers me a little that this specific design calls for connecting ground to frame on a jumper clamp, I've never seen a smooth jumper clamp and don't want teeth digging into my paint.

https://www.slingmods.com/can-am-spy...ry-jumper-port

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did find the Spyder jump port mod that seems somewhat popular. I guess it bothers me a little that this specific design calls for connecting ground to frame on a jumper clamp, I've never seen a smooth jumper clamp and don't want teeth digging into my paint.

https://www.slingmods.com/can-am-spy...ry-jumper-port
    I never use the frame as ground on any accessories - always separate ground wire.

Were you just pulling my leg?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Not at all... that is how that particular jump port product is setup.... a positive terminal installed in the front wheel strut area and no negative terminal. They specifically say hook the jumper cable's negative side to your frame.....

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not at all... that is how that particular jump port product is setup.... a positive terminal installed in the front wheel strut area and no negative terminal. They specifically say hook the jumper cable's negative side to your frame.....
    Well...I thought you were talking about the plastic body panel as ground...
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-06-2022 at 05:12 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

WTH? I'm not the one selling the kit, its on multiple motorcycle websites.... not to mention, I've installed multiple automotive accessories that asked for the wiring to be connected to frame for the ground path.
    Last edited by dguisinger; 08-06-2022 at 04:35 PM.

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WTH? I'm not the one selling the kit, its on multiple motorcycle websites.... not to mention, I've installed multiple automotive accessories that asked for the wiring to be connected to frame for the ground path.
    Sorry, I thought you were asking a question about grounding to the frame of the bike.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Add a bike alarm. You can get battery operated ones with remote for less than $20 on Amazon. Just have to change out the batteries once a year.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Sorry, I thought you were asking a question about grounding to the frame of the bike.
    No, just that the jumper terminal kit only included a positive post/wire and instructed to attach the negative jumper cable to the frame. I know it will work as the whole frame is grounded, I just don't want to scratch the paint. I do see a couple of bolts in the area, so I guess that fine, I ordered the jump port.

Interestingly, I found this accessory tonight.... I'm not in the mood to spend that type of money to prevent people messing with my spyder, but it allows you to remote control six 12v accessories using Bluetooth from an app on your phone, and also set speed, temperature, time of day and battery level settings....

So in theory, I could rewire the flashers to run through this box (along with other accessories), and tell it to turn off the circuit if my battery was getting too low....

You can also use it to turn on/off seat heaters based on temperature, or LEDs based on time of day (its got a sunrise/sunset trigger, etc), or have temp+ or speed+ settings where it delivers more power as temperature or speed changes.

https://www.slingmods.com/can-am-spy...lock?vehicle=1

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Neutrino Black Box is pretty nifty. Several people on this forum have them.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

There must be a Batteries Plus in Champlin.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Buy a Rugged Geek battery pack from Lamonster Garage and carry it as part of you tool kit. I purchased it for protection on tours and have used it a number of times including when my first Spyder battery gave up the ghost, when my wife's car battery did likewise, and even helped a former Navy damsel in distress on the side of a road who couldn't believe an old fart Marine on a motorcycle could jump start her car.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    There must be a Batteries Plus in Champlin.

T.P.
    There is, I ended up running to Batteries Plus and grabbing their cheap battery last night after spending the day searching for a lithium battery where everyone was either out of stock or had a week or two delay in shipping.

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder:

Spyder Garage

I ordered a Scosche PBJ300-1 300A battery pack off Amazon yesterday after reading reviews. Then Amazon had to mess with me, an order showed up on my account I hadn't made... so at 2am I was on the phone trying to figure it out.... they finally realized it was a replacement issued for an order on a different account that they accidentally keyed into mine, so she cancelled it..... and because it was already in a box....along side my jumper pack, it cancelled that too I can't seem to catch a break LOL

Nice thing about the Scosche is they have a cable you can wire to the battery that plugs into their pack's jump port, and they also include an adaptor to go from that cable to a trickle charger SAE connector. So I will have that as my first option, with my second option being a 3rd party jump using the external jump post I ordered and am wiring in.... so either way, I don't have to disassemble anything for a jump.

Current Spyder:

Previous Spyder: