Spyder Garage

Default Electrickery comes to motorcycling

https://a07online.us4.list-manage.co...a&e=65cf812e4a

Without ever having ridden one of these I've gotta say this sort of modelling makes my scam detector vibrate.
    What is it that they think we need this sort of control from headquarters to participate in our favourite hobby.Who decided we want to relinquish person control over temperature settings of our knuckles to an invisible entity off in la la land.

If I'm forking over my cash (yes cash not card I'm not ready to give up that part of my soul either) I decide what would be a good idea and what wouldn't and this aint one of them.
    My first thought after reading this article was how Orwellian is this. Whats next, if I don't charge on a designated day or time I'm walking? Or yes you can charge but have to swap your protein allowance for the month to do so.
    Hopefully some clever hacker can isolate the entire fleet of these abominations and guide them all secretly off into the night and launch the lot of the $#&^%$ things into the grand canyon without a parachute.
    I need a beer.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't believe everything you read. It's an opinion piece. That's all.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Very disconcerting if ever implemented.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Default Electrickery explained

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=906ff...NPVZJUkU&ntb=1

It's not opinion or maybe and it's pissed off this fanboy.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, it's not just an opinion piece at all, THIS IS ALREADY HAPPENING!!

Simple answer tho.... simply don't buy them! . Don't buy those vehicle models! Don't buy or pay for those features! It's usually only the suckers or posers who will, and if enough people DON'T buy or pay for them, the seller's profits will fall and you can guess what will happen then, can't you?!?

It's basically the same sort of thing that's happened in the past with things like electrical windscreen wipers (who else can remember vehicles with hand, vacuum, or mechanically operated wipers?! ) power steering; power brakes: disc brakes; air conditioning; electric windows; radial tires; radios in your car; cassette players in your car; cd players in your car; heated seats; yada yada yada!! There was a time when each of those 'luxury features' were only available to 'those who paid more for the privilege', but evenually each of those things has become more commonplace and available as part of the 'standard package'! This occurs simply because if it's available to some & not others, those others eventually start calling for it, and over time, begin to expect it..... and if they don't get it from one manufacturer, they'll surely get it from another who's keener to make the sale!

Sure, there's price creep to cover the extra cost, but most manufacturers aren't entirely stupid (altho sometimes, I wonder... and for some. I wo.... ) and they generally work things out fairly quickly when a competitor starts stealing their sales by offering one or more of these 'nice to have' or 'safety features' as part of their original/standard package instead of being an 'add on/costs more option'.... even if they charge a little more for the standard package in order to cover at least part of the extra costs! They've GOTTA make the sales to return any profit or even just recoup their production costs; and any percentage of ZERO sales is always going to be beaten by even the smallest percentage of SOME sales!!

So if you choose not to be a sucker or a poser, and instead tell your dealer/manufacturer that including these things in their standard package is what it'll take to get you to buy their product, it'll eventually pay off! If enough people had the sense &/or the guts to do that from the set to, then 'pay for service' options like these would be dead in the water before they ever really caught on..... but sadly, there's always another sucker out there waiting to toss away their hard earned (or maybe not so hard earned?? ); and the same usually applies for the posers too, so it might take a while for the message to sink in so the rest of us can benefit!

There again, I've got my 2013 V-Twin powered RT Ltd that does all I want/need & in fact, already has a few features (documented & un-documented! ) that I could happily do without, so I'm happy enough with it for now & so far, nothing newer has aroused any need or desire to upgrade simply because there's nothing there that excites me any more than what I have already.... not yet anyway! Besides, the newer models already have an ever increasing bunch of things that actively turn me OFF the idea of upgrading.... things like the ongoing DESS failures with no real 'fix' in sight; the increasing numbers of front drive Pulley Failures with no real 'fix' in sight; the excessively 'digital' dashes; BRP Connect; BRP Go; the ACS that's still not reliably or usefully working/doing what it should; BRP's inane insistance on only using those crappy Kenda tires; the 'integrated' dash units & systems that don't integrate; yada, yada, yada.

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-06-2022 at 07:41 AM. Reason: .
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Don't believe everything you read. It's an opinion piece. That's all.
    I mis-spoke. I should have said that it's the writer's opinion that this is a troubling trend. I don't see it as troubling. Rather I see it as a way of making the basic machine more affordable, while providing a simple way to upgrade if and when ready, all while holding down production costs. The writer says this....

To play the devil’s advocate, there is a method behind the madness. By implementing software and firmware locks on features and power, it means that only one basic bike needs to be built. It’s after the bike has left the production line that the locks are put in place (or the bike is left unlocked if it’s a premium model). This streamlines both finances, materials, and production speed to optimize delivery times. Also, the pay-to-unlock features, as they are already built-in to the motorcycle, are nearly 100% pure profit.

It also allows for the possibility of incentivizing the features locked away. For example, maybe Zero will unlock the heated grips for the first week of September, when fall winds are in the air and it would be lovely to have toasty warm hands. It could also have demo days, such as during the summer, the first Tuesday of each month, your bike will be at full power with all features unlocked, and you can ride around to test them out. By showing how convenient the navigation system is to help you find a charge station, and then also allowing you to charge at the full power capability, you might just be tempted to pay to unlock.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also see that it will help the resale market to be able to buy one model and easily customize the built-in features to suit your desires and wallet. And then, change them again as circumstances change; all without dealership service costs. It's absolutely the way of the future, I think.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I will not purchase any electric bike or car or truck that has add-on features for money.

I don't use the pay radio features, or the on star in my 2017 Subaru either.

In the future are also shut off if you don't pay the subscription to use the item. And I am guessing you folks already know there is an "off" switch for the internet and phone service. It has been used selectively a couple times already.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also see that it will help the resale market to be able to buy one model and easily customize the built-in features to suit your desires and wallet. And then, change them again as circumstances change; all without dealership service costs. It's absolutely the way of the future, I think.
    My 2018 GMC Canyon comes with optional Onstar services that can be turned on and off at will. I pay $20 a month for unlimited internet data and have various levels of other 'services' I can choose to pay for or not, such as theft deterrent, breakdown assistance, remote monitoring of status, etc. I just wish the gps could be turned off to save money, because i find it inferior to my Garmin XT.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Imagine how cool it would be to increase the performance of a Spyder by simply paying for an 'upgrade' without a trip to the dealer or having to navigate the complexities of ECU flash, airbox mods, exhaust mods, etc.. Now that I'm retired I'm enjoying doing that, but not everyone who buys a bike is a gearhead.

Automobiles and motorcycles have been evolving for over a century into becoming more like appliances and electrification will accelerate that trend. For me, that's not as appealing as what we have now, but it will be a very long time before our options as enthusiasts are eliminated I think.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Vote with your wallet. I would never pay to be involved in a marketing scheme like that.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Vote with your wallet. I would never pay to be involved in a marketing scheme like that.
    That's the whole point of why i don't think this trend is 'worrying', particularly to us old farts. It's just another choice we have. And this trend is driven by capitalistic market forces, not a government mandate.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-06-2022 at 12:40 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My 2018 GMC Canyon comes with optional Onstar services that can be turned on and off at will. I pay $20 a month for unlimited internet data and have various levels of other 'services' I can choose to pay for or not, such as theft deterrent, breakdown assistance, remote monitoring of status, etc. I just wish the gps could be turned off to save money, because i find it inferior to my Garmin XT.
    When I brought my pick up truck it came with On Star and I was offered a 3 month trial period. In that three months I used On Star exactly zero times. So when it came time to sign up I politely declined the service. Maybe I just never needed to know where the closest Starbucks was.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    When I brought my pick up truck it came with On Star and I was offered a 3 month trial period. In that three months I used On Star exactly zero times. So when it came time to sign up I politely declined the service. Maybe I just never needed to know where the closest Starbucks was.
    See? Choices.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't be fooled, this EV thing and everything that comes with it is ultimately about control. It will come on slowly disguised as an economical and convenient system to own. Then wham! You're locked in and can't get out. For example; businesses are popping up all over that no longer accept cash. They only take credit cards for a reason. If your health records indicate you are at risk, you won't be able to purchase a hamburger at Burger King. If you've had covid-47 your ability to travel will be limited to only one location. You may not see this coming or agree that it's coming, but it's headed straight at us right now.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Don't be fooled, this EV thing and everything that comes with it is ultimately about control. It will come on slowly disguised as an economical and convenient system to own. Then wham! You're locked in and can't get out. For example; businesses are popping up all over that no longer accept cash. They only take credit cards for a reason. If your health records indicate you are at risk, you won't be able to purchase a hamburger at Burger King. If you've had covid-47 your ability to travel will be limited to only one location. You may not see this coming or agree that it's coming, but it's headed straight at us right now.
    That's for the grandkids to worry about. You and I will always have choices with regards to what we ride, for as long as we live
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-06-2022 at 03:30 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

That's for the grandkids to worry about. You and I will always have choices with regards to what we ride, for as long as we live
    That is what the powers that be rely on to push their agendas through Pete. An uninformed or should I say misinformed majority makes their path smoother.
    Check out the UN's Agenda30 (to be in place by 2030) if you have some time it explains it all and on the surface it seems like a great idea but the way it gets achieved is sinister to say the least.They don't want vehicles that have any freedom attached like now (pretty much every other aspect of your life as well) and the way to achieve it is by developing the ability to control their usage to suit their end goals.
    Inocuous features like these offered by manufacturers are the thin end of the wedge and if you see other actions that have been taken around us of late it all starts to add up to a whole load of trickery to corral us into a place we don't want to be.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    That is what the powers that be rely on to push their agendas through Pete. An uninformed or should I say misinformed majority makes their path smoother.
    Check out the UN's Agenda30 (to be in place by 2030) if you have some time it explains it all and on the surface it seems like a great idea but the way it gets achieved is sinister to say the least.They don't want vehicles that have any freedom attached like now (pretty much every other aspect of your life as well) and the way to achieve it is by developing the ability to control their usage to suit their end goals. Inocuous features like these offered by manufacturers are the thin end of the wedge and if you see other actions that have been taken around us of late it all starts to add up to a whole load of trickery to corral us into a place we don't want to be.
    I've learned not to worry about the unknown or the things I can't control. Life's too short for that. Besides, as I said before, if the kids want to do something about the future they're inheriting they should.

Agenda 30 is a little misnamed as its not an agenda; it's a wish list. The UN has no power over sovereign nations. If it did, we'd have no more war between nations.

In southern Utah, there's a town called La Verkin that declared itself a UN-free zone in response to Agenda21 many years ago. That's about its only claim to fame.

It's surrounded by an impregnable wall topped with razor wire and guarded 24/7 by retired French Foreign Legionnaires.

I made up that last bit...

A wise Ozzie once said "Ride More. Worry Less"
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-06-2022 at 07:22 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default UN Agendas

Agenda 21 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agenda_21

Agenda 30 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sust...elopment_Goals

They are just an articulation of a vision for a better world and a recognition of the obstacles to achieving it. They have no enforcement mechanism. Its just a way of expressing a shared desire for something better for humanity than what currently exists for the 90 percenters.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-06-2022 at 10:16 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

See Pete, I told you so. Glad to know I'm not the only crackpot here.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're no crackpot. We just look at the world differently.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Agenda 21 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agenda_21

Agenda 30 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sust...elopment_Goals

They are just an articulation of a vision for a better world and a recognition of the obstacles to achieving it. They have no enforcement mechanism. Its just a way of expressing a shared desire for something better for humanity than what currently exists for the 90 percenters.
    PM sent

Spyder Garage

Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot