Spyder Garage

Default the KEY to Happiness - replacing the Spyder's ignition key!

I'm currently in the process of replacing the ignition key for my Spyder. Fortunately I have a spare so I still have my mode of three wheel transportation. A couple of weeks ago I lost my key. I told the wife that I misplaced it, but it was lost. I searched the house, garage, driveway, and no key. So, with a tip of the hat to Ringo, "You Know it Don't Come Easy" I began the process of replacing it. Called the local dealer, gave him my model and year, and was told they had a blank in stock. However, I couldn't come in that day but would later in the week. Called a second time and was told, "nothing in stock". So, we ordered one and it's yet to come in. When it does, I'll need to do the following....

1. Pickup the blank at the dealer.
    2. Find a Locksmith that will cut it from my spare. Hardware stores won't touch it, I checked.
    3. Return to the dealer to have them program it.

The blank key will be $60+ and another $50 to program it. As we know, nothing about the Spyders is inexpensive so the cost, is what it is. It's the process of getting a replacement that is cumbersome. My advice from experience; always have a spare and if possible hide it on your ride for security.

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

Well, let us review.
    Lost the key and then fibbed to the Mrs.
    Searched all over and can’t remember when and where you had it last.
    Local dealer gave inaccurate information about it being in stock.
    Hardware store won’t cut the key when you get it.
    Between the key, programming, and locksmith looking upwards of $150.

YUP. Sound like a typical experience with the Spyder. Seems like you have reached the point of acceptance. I usually get there after beating myself up and cussing for a while.
    Funny part is, you will probably find it in the future. I have found lost keys after selling the bike. Then some more cussing.
    Last edited by Tourer; 08-05-2022 at 09:12 AM.
    2015 F3S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Years ago missourigirl lost her chipped car-key and a replacement cost around $100, I forget exactly. Then a while later she checked at the hospital Lost and Found where she had visited someone, and there it was!
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I lost a key, but had my spare. Now I need to get my new 2nd key programed. I did get it cut at True Value. If you have one close, maybe try them if a locksmith is farther away. Not all hardware stores have the ability
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did just about the same with the exception that I bought 2 chipped keys. Why? Cause if I know myself at all I'm bound to lose one again. And, likely in the worst place possible, on vacation somewhere days away from the closest dealer. Costs about the same, $50 for each key and about $5 to have them cut. Programming 2 of them for the shop rate, $50.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    I lost a key, but had my spare. Now I need to get my new 2nd key programed. I did get it cut at True Value. If you have one close, maybe try them if a locksmith is farther away. Not all hardware stores have the ability
    The Automotive Service at my local Walmart cuts keys.
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Careful where you have your keys cut. My neighbor had a double sided (unchipped) key cut at our local Ace Hardware store. It was miscut on one side and would only work in one direction. When I had my $50 Can Am keys cut I left them with the dealer to be cut. Then made sure they both worked before I left the dealership. I didn't want an expensive miscut key done on my dime.

Spyder Garage

Thought I'd offer a follow up for the Lost Key to Happiness. As aforementioned, I ordered/purchased a blank from BRP at the local dealer, was sent to a locksmith for cutting the blank, no hardware store would touch it, and then today back to the dealer to have the key programmed. Halfway home, I heard the fans kick on high and looked at my Temp Gauge and it was pegged on high. Now What?! Pulled over and shut down the engine, waited a minute and restarted and the gauge came back down to normal op. temps. Proceed home and as I'm pulling into the driveway, again the fans kick into high and the temp gauge pegs to the max.

I checked for the obvious and the vents are all clear, no debris. Any thoughts or experience with the same issue. I would doubt the programming of a key or hookup to the BUDs would cause this. Coolant level is good also. Thoughts?

2016 Spyder RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd start a new thread
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

PM sent----------------
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'd start a new thread
    I agree. Many won't see this question based on the topic or read down far enough to see it.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I have read several posts regarding replacing a Spyder key, and its cost, so out of curiosity I searched the cost of replacing the smart key fob for my 2021 Traverse. I can get the key fob for 109.95 online. Then I will have to have it professionally programmed when brought to a dealer, and finally I will need to have the emergency insert key cut. It appears that all smart keys are expensive and time consuming to replace.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderider1 View Post
    Thought I'd offer a follow up for the Lost Key to Happiness. As aforementioned, I ordered/purchased a blank from BRP at the local dealer, was sent to a locksmith for cutting the blank, no hardware store would touch it, and then today back to the dealer to have the key programmed. Halfway home, I heard the fans kick on high and looked at my Temp Gauge and it was pegged on high. Now What?! Pulled over and shut down the engine, waited a minute and restarted and the gauge came back down to normal op. temps. Proceed home and as I'm pulling into the driveway, again the fans kick into high and the temp gauge pegs to the max.

I checked for the obvious and the vents are all clear, no debris. Any thoughts or experience with the same issue. I would doubt the programming of a key or hookup to the BUDs would cause this. Coolant level is good also. Thoughts?
    I have a 14 RT and this exact same thing happened to recently ..... It turned out I was 12 oz. low for coolant ...... I managed to get some out and tested it and was fine ( PH also ).... So I just topped it off..... had No issues on my vacation trip , where I saw the Spyder Temp gauge hit 125 F in very heavy traffic ..... the fans took care of everything ..... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    I have read several posts regarding replacing a Spyder key, and its cost, so out of curiosity I searched the cost of replacing the smart key fob for my 2021 Traverse. I can get the key fob for 109.95 online. Then I will have to have it professionally programmed when brought to a dealer, and finally I will need to have the emergency insert key cut. It appears that all smart keys are expensive and time consuming to replace.
    Yes sir ree! That's just why I got two replacements after I lost my first one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
    Well, let us review.
    Lost the key and then fibbed to the Mrs.
    Searched all over and can’t remember when and where you had it last.
    Local dealer gave inaccurate information about it being in stock.
    Hardware store won’t cut the key when you get it.
    Between the key, programming, and locksmith looking upwards of $150.

YUP. Sound like a typical experience with the Spyder. Seems like you have reached the point of acceptance. I usually get there after beating myself up and cussing for a while.
    Funny part is, you will probably find it in the future. I have found lost keys after selling the bike. Then some more cussing.
    Can the new, cut key be programmed with a BUDS2?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-25-2022 at 03:59 AM. Reason: key... ;-)
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    Can the new, cut be programmed with a BUDS2?
    You don't actually program the key. You program the DESS to recognize the key. I see no reason why BUDS 2 would be any different than BUDS to do this. Which one you use depends on the year of the Spyder.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Found my keys in my vest. Pocket had a hole in it. They keys went between the outer layer and the inner liner. Couldn't feel them because of the leather and padding.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderider1 View Post

What is your year and model??
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

2016 RTS. She was low on coolant, quite a bit actually. When turning left, it would affect the level of coolant and the gauge would peg. Lesson learned; Always look for the obvious.

2016 Spyder RTS