Spyder Garage

Default New 2016 RT squirmy above 50 mph - new tires Fixed it!

Hi, my name is Tim, just bought a 2016 RT with 3500 miles, love the power and comfort, but man was it squirmy above 50 mph. I researched and ordered a bajaron sway bar, made a big difference, but still squirmy above 50 mph. I am a master auto tech, and it felt like a toe in problem - checked the toe in and it was toed out 1/8 inch, adjusted it to 1/4 toe in, still squirmy. Then ordered Vredestienn qQad 5 for the fronts, installed them today, and Wow! It tracks perfectly to 80 mph now. Hard to believe BRP would use Brembo brakes, and then install these Kenda tires over them, but I am a happy camper now..
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-04-2022 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly mention purpose.... ;-)

Spyder Garage

It's a bean counter issue with BRP and the tires and that's why many of us call them Crapendas. The ambulance chasers have a liability issue in the tires too.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Good Morning

First off, Welcome to the Spyder Forum. Glad you are having some fun and enjoying your Spyder.
    Yes, the OEM tire is not the best. You have found a great tire.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

The magic formula for a solid ride capable of keeping up with "the fast guys": Tires, sway bar, alignment, & upgraded shocks.
    Then, HANG ON!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

What he said If you still have the stock factory shocks, you can add BajaRon's Custom Performance Front Shock Spring Pre-Load Adjuster Kit for under 200 and start cranking up the Front Pre-load, helped on my '13 before I got really expensive full front and rear shock upgrades from M2 , and I"ve already added them to my '18 RTL and noticed a significant improvement when coupled with the Baja Ron Bar.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

David,
    You talked about getting the pedal commander. I just installed the pedal box from Lamonster garage on Kathy's as I wanted one that's water resistant. All I can say is WOW.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Yea, I actually had not realized at first there were two competing products, but once I watched Lamonster's vid I was then torn between having the BT capability (Pedal Commander) or the water resistance of the Pedal Box. But, Shhhh don't tell Sharon, whichever one I do get whenever I do get it will be tucked under my right side tupperware and just set for "Bazinga" mode...<G>
    Do you think she'll notice when she's riding with me?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default No Chance

...I agree with you, she will never know. Unless you want to tell her I would be silent for now.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I agree with the original persons posts. Myself, in the past I have done alignments without ROLO laser equipment and without BUDS. These days having ROLO and BUDS or BUDS2 allows quick resets of the sensors. Will add though, that while the changes were without ROLO or BUDS was a huge improvement, nulling the steering sensors does make a difference, not only from a possibility of improved handling, but also safety.