Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Lamonster / Baldwin Iron Works cat delete - baffle or not?

I have a Monster Stage 2 ECU Flash and now I'm installing the cat delete pipe. I'm a little confused about whether or not I should install the baffle and if so, should I also install the plug in the baffle?

I've read all the threads I can on the subject and found nothing definitive, particularly with the ECU Flash. Some say install the baffle but without the plug to provide needed back pressure. BUT, I have not gone to a straight-thru muffler - I'm staying with my OEM muffler; does that by itself provide enough back-pressure or do I still need the baffle in the cat delete pipe?

What about noise? Jane is not interested in having additional exhaust noise when we are two-up touring.

I'm looking for an opinion from someone with technical knowledge. Thanks.

20220803_145118.jpg
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-03-2022 at 09:10 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bump...I'm ready to install the pipe once I know which baffle option I should go with.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

If noise is the overiding consideration you're going to have to bolt it up a few times till your good lady is happy is how i see it.
    Damn i went all subjective, sorry
    Those springs get easier once you've drawn blood a few times
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    If noise is the overiding consideration you're going to have to bolt it up a few times till your good lady is happy is how i see it.
    Damn i went all subjective, sorry Those springs get easier once you've drawn blood a few times
    Bolt it up? What does that mean?

So far so good with the spring removal.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Bolt it up? What does that mean?

So far so good with the spring removal.
    Oh sorry, water goes down the drain in the opposite direction down here
    Try various settings with your baffle is what I meant.No baffle, or baffle without the end cap or end cap in a different hole till you get the sweet spot your wife likes.
    What was your main reason for getting the cat delete heat,nicer sound,performance, weight ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Oh sorry, water goes down the drain in the opposite direction down here
    Try various settings with your baffle is what I meant.No baffle, or baffle without the end cap or end cap in a different hole till you get the sweet spot your wife likes.
    What was your main reason for getting the cat delete heat,nicer sound,performance, weight ?
    It's recommended with the ECU flash I had done.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

It's recommended with the ECU flash I had done.
    It's your call really, they would say that to extract all available advantage of the flash if its a one size fits all flash . The more you baffle it down extracts from that.
    Stock muffler and no baffle would be my starting point and let the prodding in the ribs by your wife be your guide as to the acceptance of the sound. Bruised ribs= needs baffle. Walking home=baffle with end cap needed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With stage 2 now you are going to be fast enough that the baffle in or out is not going to make enough difference to notice. I left my baffle in and mine is torquey both top and bottom end. Besides, I go with the old saying, if mom's not happy no one's happy. I think the reflash is going to make up for whichever way you go.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    With stage 2 now you are going to be fast enough that the baffle in or out is not going to make enough difference to notice. I left my baffle in and mine is torquey both top and bottom end. Besides, I go with the old saying, if mom's not happy no one's happy. I think the reflash is going to make up for whichever way you go.
    Okay, I think I'll split the difference and put the baffle in to help with the noise issue, but leave the plug out. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Okay, I think I'll split the difference and put the baffle in to help with the noise issue, but leave the plug out. Thanks.
    Update; I 'forgot' to put the baffle in. It has a raspy snarl sound under throttle as others have said. On the road it feels quicker (very subjective) and definitely pulls harder at lower rpm, so no issues with insufficient back pressure. I did a couple of quick run ups and 0-60 is 3 seconds or less (guessing - no stopwatch).

I took Jane out for a 15 mile jaunt and she reports the exhaust is louder, but she can live with it for now. We'll do a long trip soon and if she finds it really annoying, we can try the baffle in, but for now we're good to go.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 08-04-2022 at 03:56 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Update; I 'forgot' to put the baffle in.....
    LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-05-2022 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

UtahPete, I got the Baldwin as well, will be installing tomorrow with the full baffle and plug and all, will drive it around and test, I'm doing it more for heat reduction. Also Heat wrapped the cat delete with DEI products.
    Will be using stock final muffler till I can find the one I like.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I didn't wory about back pressure because I don't rev high enough for long enough for that to matter. Noise is something I don't care for, particlarly on long rydes so I kept that part intact and let the standard muffler burble a little more. I recently finished a Black Dog Ride to Red Centre, 7642 km door to door from home in about two weeks (my wife knows exactly to the minute, lol). Very happy with everything to do with the cat delete pipe mod. Performance wise it fits well with the Pedal Commander. Lagging the pipe for sound damping was considered but after that trip decided it not necessary.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-12-2022 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Laging - Lagging ;-)
    There is usually another way. 2020 F3Ltd.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium