Spyder Garage

Default I'll use my Ram mount as EZ pass holder - what do you use?

I know most of you are like me and never run the thruways or turnpikes unless you have to. It’s been discussed and most place in frunk. I need to use the thruway Thursday! Taking bike instead of car. No time to run back roads need to get there and back straightest route. Here is what I was thinking. Use my old ram mount that I totally hate and never use for the phone. Put the transponder in and use the net / web. Will put one ziptie around middle just for safety. It’s suppose to possibly rain so put ziplock bag over it and ziptie bottom of bag shut. Will webbing mess up the EZ pass signal? I don’t think so. Will a bag mess up the signal? I don’t think so. What are you guys and gals using to hold your EZ pass transponders? I will mount behind windshield but it shows mounted on spydercuff in picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wmoater; 08-03-2022 at 07:47 AM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

As a side note, I was told by 2 different people that the new NY readers are not accurately connecting with the transponders if placed like in frunk, truck or luggage and the fine they tack on is 33 percent if not detected. That’s why I wanted it exposed. Anyone have that problem in NY with the readers?

Spyder Garage

I can only tell you about my previous experience.
    I had my transponder in the frunk, mounted to the lid. There were a couple of bridges in the local area that didn't read the transponder, both in NY, the Newburg Beacon bridge and the Bear Mountain bridge.
    I think the difficulty in reading was caused by the angle the transponder was mounted. I moved the transponder and mounted it to the windshield mimicking the installation in a car.
    Your idea is a clever compromise, just make sure there isn't any metal in between the transponder and the readers at the toll booth.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I couldn't get mine to read consistently in NY mounted under the frunk lid so I made a necklace out of it. Works every time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    I couldn't get mine to read consistently in NY mounted under the frunk lid so I made a necklace out of it. Works every time.
    Now that's a clever idea!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I’ve seen that. Good idea. Thought about it but didn’t want to have it flipping around. Seen guys also do the same thing and Velcro/ziptie to the shoulder loop on chest pocket on some jackets. You’re lucky, you’re an instate resident of NY so if they mail you the missed toll the up charge or penalty fee is low like 3 percent I believe. I’m out of state, so they charge 33 percent more whatever the normal rate if I miss a toll and I need to go 19 exits so I don’t want to chance it. They also charge and have their readers on the highway vs most states on the on or off ramps so if one scan is missed, it a fine for me. NY is so screwed up as in ezpass. Ever since 2020 and closing of the toll booths they just cant get it right. I run it in the winter with my snowmobile trailer and nothing is ever the same. I even got charged someone else’s plate number once. No other state has the problem with trunk reading only NY. I tested the setup today with a bumpy wavy ride and it never moved. I even bumped it really hard and it’s solid. Should be good for thursday.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 08-03-2022 at 02:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

We don't have any toll roads in South Oz, it started out as a 'Free Settlers' State with all major routes specified for taxpayer funding, and in the almost 200 years since, that's remained & extended to include all our Freeways, Highways, & major roads, with successive State Govt's have been exceedingly aware that they'd be dumped PDQ if people were ever asked to pay tolls! . So we don't have any need for those EZ-Pass thingies here in South Oz.....

But we do have family who live interstate where there are Tollways & Commercially owned Motorways, and if we want to visit our family in those Stares, it's almost impossible to get around without using at least some of these PAYG roads.... . We used to buy Temporary Permits covering the couple of weeks duration of our visits, but a while back discovered that if we just ignore them while we're there, using the tollways etc as & when needed, then waiting for the toll/bill with an added 'once-off Admin Fee' for not getting a pass/temp permit before our travel on those roads, the 'total fee' invariably comes to something about half the 'total price' of getting a temp permit to cover the duration of our visits beforehand.... so guess what we do now!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Doesn't help you today but you can order an EZPASS decal and stick it on your windscreen.

Also, although I have never heard of people having issues, the units are registered to a particular vehicle/license plate: I have separate ones for each car and each bike.
    Sold: 2020RT base with numerous improvements and farkles
    Previous 2 wheels: 3 BMWs, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha and 1 Husqvarna

Spyder Garage

I have had my EZ Pass installed on the left side air deflector under the windshield, using the EZ Pass velcro strips. I have had it installed in this position since 2012 (currently I have a 2014 RTL). I take it off when washing, having it serviced or trailering (don't want to pay double tolls) The EZ Pass readers miss it occasionally but no one has taken it so theft is not a consideration.

Ride Safe2022-08-04 EZ Pass location.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    Doesn't help you today but you can order an EZPASS decal and stick it on your windscreen.
    I went on my EZ Pass account to see about a decal and they don't offer that option in NY apparently.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

NJ EZ-Pass will send a violation notice for missed tolls with a $50 penalty on top of the toll IF THE LICENSE PLATE IS NOT LISTED ON ACCOUNT. If the plate is registered, they automatically bill your account with no further action needed.

If you get the notice, log onto EZ-Pass and add the plate to the account and pay only for the toll - no penalty.

I had this happen recently when I rode a new-to-me bike home before getting plates and not having the pass on board.
    Last edited by RayBJ; 08-04-2022 at 10:40 AM.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post

Also, although I have never heard of people having issues, the units are registered to a particular vehicle/license plate: I have separate ones for each car and each bike.
    Has Georgia ever started recognizing EZ-Pass? I have never needed it in Georgia but when I visit my son in Maryland I get sent a bill and just crossing one bridge on our route is 9.00.
    Once Ga starts recognizing EZ-Pass I will get one to reduce the tolls.

From my understanding it is in the works and was supposed to be done by the 2nd quarter of 2022 but I can't find anything on it. The EZ-Pass website does not list Ga and Maryland does not recognize Peach Pass.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I went on my EZ Pass account to see about a decal and they don't offer that option in NY apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Has Georgia ever started recognizing EZ-Pass? I have never needed it in Georgia but when I visit my son in Maryland I get sent a bill and just crossing one bridge on our route is 9.00.
    Once Ga starts recognizing EZ-Pass I will get one to reduce the tolls.

From my understanding it is in the works and was supposed to be done by the 2nd quarter of 2022 but I can't find anything on it. The EZ-Pass website does not list Ga and Maryland does not recognize Peach Pass.
    Although I live in GA, I got all of mine through the NC EZ Pass website. IIRC, the only ones they offered for bikes was the decal/sticker. This was 3 or 4 years ago.

At that time, they had no restrictions on where you lived. I may have had to answer a question about whether I traveled to NC but I did then and still do now so it hasn't been an issue.

They have my credit card on file. When I have changed cars/bikes, I just log in and update the vehicle.

I have not had an occasion to use the EZ Pass in Georgia but I am pretty sure the NC website showed that it worked in GA - really don't remember but it wasn't an issue for me because most of the tolls I have dealt with were in the NE anyway.
    Last edited by WilcoJunoHotel; 08-04-2022 at 11:54 AM.
    Sold: 2020RT base with numerous improvements and farkles
    Previous 2 wheels: 3 BMWs, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha and 1 Husqvarna

Spyder Garage

Lanyard with zip ties. Genius.

Spyder Garage

I have NY EZ Pass. I have about 7 vehicles registered but only have 4 transponders. I don't use the transponder on the Spyder. What happens now is when you go through a toll and no transponder is detected, the cameras record your license plate number and if it's registered with EZ Pass then they just deduct the toll from your account like normal. This is working in NY, MA, NH and Maine.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Worked like a charm. Just woke up and logged into NY Ezpass and everything was recorded from yesterday. Yabadab, you might want to check your technique again. It might JUST be a PA and Ohio thing, but I have ezpass NY since that’s the only thruway/turnpike I use besides Ohio which doesn’t make a difference since they still have paybooths. If I register and “have” NY ezpass instead of the PA ezpass where I live, it’s saves me 13 percent on tolls in NY. NY, as of January 2022, is now charging 13 percent more if you use out of state ezpass per exit. It also specifically says on the website if transponder is not read it’s a 3 percent fine instate and 33 percent fine if out of state to mail bill with liscence plate photo. I don’t believe they are adjusting it even if car is registered anymore. I know last February a bunch of guys got stung because their snowmobile trailer didn’t register ezpass and had to pay the 33 percent fine from Buffalo to 81 tug hill exit and their trailer was on their ezpass. NY started using a blue transponder for trailer combos now. That started in January. I had my trailer registered with ezpass NY and with the white transponder, got fines and had to dispute 2 times out of 7. Now have blue and no problems. My son drives truck and there was a huge skuttle with roberts trucking. Commercial got new transponders too to get discount. It’s only NY! If you have out of state ezpass transponder according to the site and my experience, you will be up charged and or fined if they mail you the bill now. I got charged in February with the trailer. The trailer was registered under my white ny ezpass transponder. Truck registered fine at each exit, trailer did not and they mailed me a bill with a 33 percent up charge even though I have the ny ezpass but live outside ny. I will say both disputes were accepted and I paid normal rate and no fine, but was on the phone for 30 minutes each time. You might be good but this is just my experience and I have NY ezpass but live out of state like you and trailer plate was registered in the NY ezpass system. It happened 2 out of 7 trips in February. As another side note the water port company runs the ezpass for western NY ezpass out of state residence vs the rive/bridge port runs the eastern side of NY for out of state residence which you are in. That might be the difference too. The water port started charging $1 a month now to have ezpass NY, that also started in January.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 08-05-2022 at 06:48 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Worked like a charm. JI have ezpass NY since that’s the only thruway/turnpike...
    When I lived in NJ I had both a NJ and a NY EZ Pass. At the time I received a discount on the NJ Tpke and the NJ-NY Bridges and Tunnels and when using the NY EZ Pass received the discount on the NYS Thruway and the NY City Bridges and Tunnels. I did this for my cars and Spyder no big deal changing them depending where I was going. NJ stopped providing a discount on the NJ Tpke several years ago, so I returned my NJ EZ Pass since it was useless and now use the NY EZ Pass exclusively. (I also moved to Long Island).
    I also have all my vehicles and trailers registered with NY EZ Pass. I didn't know about a "blue" EZ Pass for trailering, but will check it out.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-05-2022 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Here’s the link. I called and did everything over the phone. You will receive a blue transponder. Take the white one out of vehicle if pulling a trailer, take blue one out replace with white if just car, van or truck. The blue covers both pull and trailer. You get the discount with the blue and can register up to 2 pull vehicles and 2 trailers. You get standard rate with white “unless” it doesn’t read the trailer plate which happens all the time in winter because of the salt etc. https://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/ta-w68176.pdf

I have wrapped white in aluminum foil and placed in their baggy they send you twice when I pulled one way and then left trailer and came back with truck. Just switch or you’ll be charged for truck and trailer when it’s only the truck. There is now a discounted motorcycle tag I believe is green which is different from white rate. I justhave to send in the registration card. Called about that in May but never did it. NY Just wanted to make it difficult!
    Last edited by Wmoater; 08-05-2022 at 08:15 AM.

Spyder Garage

I'm going to have to research re-registering my vehicles with EZ Pass now in either MA, NH or ME. I originally did it in NY a long time ago because I used to travel to NY and NJ quite frequently for work.
    But since I retired in June, I really don't go into NY that much anymore but I travel up to Maine quite frequently. I'll have to compare what each state is offering for discounts with their EZ Pass.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector