Spyder Garage

Default Hi Ladies! Hot weather riding pants recommendations?

Newbie Spyder ryder question. . . . Hot, humid summer here in southern Missouri. What do any of you ladies like for comfortable riding pants? (Just a note here, I'm a size 16-18 kind of "old lady" - LOL)
    Thanks in advance for your opinions & advice.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife wears loose lightweight long legs hiking pants, preferably in a lighter color. Same as shirt.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I wear jeans here in Texas.. come hot or cold.
    I have gotten hot enough that the tops of my legs will turn beet red under those jeans.. at that point I am headed for the house and don’t spare the horses.
    If real cold I put rain pants on over the jeans to break the wind.
    Carla
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Carla. I have some older Wrangler Aura jeans that I love, but they're nearing the end of their useful life, and they don't make the Aura jeans the same way any more. Yeah, I'd be hurrying home rapidly too if the heat was that bad.

Spyder Garage

My wife will wear blue jean shorts when it is real hot.. Lots of sun screen..
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

We wear shorts or just underwear under mesh motorcycle overpants. It keeps the sun off while letting air flow. It also provides protection in case of an accident. Think of it this way: have you ever seen people in the desert in shorts and a t-shirt?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-03-2022 at 10:54 PM. Reason: every - ever ;-)
    2018 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

NOTHING is hotter than sliding on asphalt! My wife wears Fieldsheer 4 seasons armored mesh overpants over whatever she desires (I require the armor - what goes under is her option). Shorts work in humid weather, but not hot dry when it is over ~90F. Light hiking pants (sporting goods stores) are great for summer as they have zip-off legs to convert to shorts. They are usually a fabric that dries quick if you get caught in a downpour.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I will wet my pants with water up in the thigh area and also my shirt around the shoulders. Feels very good when it is hot.
    2012 Blue Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    NOTHING is hotter than sliding on asphalt!
    Can't argue with that, but it doesn't really answer the OP's question, does it?

Your chances of suffering serious health conditions from being overheated, or sunburned are much greater than sliding on asphalt when riding a Spyder. Do like those in the middle eastern countries or India - wear loose fitting lightweight clothing covering as much of your skin as possible but allowing air flow for natural cooling. And, drink lots of liquids.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I will wet my pants with water up in the thigh area and also my shirt around the shoulders. Feels very good when it is hot.
    But then it dries out and you're back to square one. Just like those absorbent cooling vests.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I will wet my pants ..... up in the thigh area and also my shirt around the shoulders. Feels very good when it is hot.
    I dunno Tony, maybe I'm just missing the subtlety of what you're saying, but when I wet my pants (which is truly not all that often, but hey... accidents do occasionally happen ) it tends to run from my crotch on down my thighs! . And I gotta ask, how on earth do you 'wet your shirt around your shoulders' without getting into some kinky stuff?!? . And 'feels very good when it is hot'..... . Is that anything like pee-ing in your wetsuit while waiting for a wave in the Southern Ocean during a Mid-Winter storm and you're busy dodging ice-bergs & killer whales??

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    But then it dries out and you're back to square one. Just like those absorbent cooling pants.
    Fixed this bit for you Pete, but while I haven't actually tried them yet, I can't believe that those absorent Depends or Poise or whatever absorbent pants would ever actually qualify as 'cooling'..... and my pants drying out after I've wet them is NEVER anything like being back to square one!! Maybe crusty, smelly, crinkly...... urgh! But never Square One!

Sorry Bluestar2 & all, but it's a reeeeaaally slow day here on the farm.... . Maybe I'm just not cut out for farm-sitting a cropping property?!?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-03-2022 at 11:21 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Peter, the idea is to start off with cold water, not that body temperature stuff!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thanks, UtahPete. I grew up in Tucson and later Fresno/Clovis - I GET overheating! I know very well about hydration - fainted in a horseback riding lesson one day before noon - I REALLY can't tolerate heat. Lessons learned, the hard way. Desert???? Yup, have an offspring who spent 2 solid days on a rooftop with a teammate where the thermometer measured 138 degrees F, so I got even more of an education. (Oh, and just so you know - retired Chief's wife!) We have 3 branches covered!

Spyder Garage

Peter Aawen - ROFL!! No need to apologize. Country background, military family, raised 2 boys - NOTHING is likely to offend me! Crop watching can be nearly as boring as watching golf. Hope you're getting rain!

But you all have made me laugh this morning.

Unfortunately, GENTLEMEN - you aren't really able to answer my question as it pertained to clothing items FITTING a woman's bod and being comfortable. Ya'll aren't built the same as we are!!!!! That said, I was asking from the rider perspective, not a passenger perspective. Pillion position is a bit cooler as you're further from the engine. No offense to any of the gentlemen here! I have all the two-wheeled protective gear, but like a couple have said, I don't feel the ashphalt slide fear is nearly as big of an issue with the Spyder. Hell, I have a scar where 18 stitches went in from the elbow down, just from tipping over at a doggoned stop sign! (short hands, long clutch pull).
    Last edited by BlueStar2Mom; 08-04-2022 at 07:56 AM.

Spyder Garage

I have nothing to contribute about what pants to wear. As you are a Blue Star Mom, I hope your child or children are safe.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Grandpot. Currently they're stateside, so yes! But I've earned all my gray hairs.