Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Ours was in the fall of 2017 after I realized my reactions and strength were no longer optimal for riding two-up on a motorcycle (at age 63 and very short-legged). That was the result of a very slow speed tip over in a tight U-turn on one of the bikes on a trip where we had trailered one of the cruisers to Las Vegas, NM with us so we could ride a little while there. Once home from that, I contacted a friend of mine who owns a Spyder and asked about a short test ride. He agreed and we met at my house then continued on over to one of the big parking lots at the lake here where I live. From there, he allowed us to ride around the parking and up to the entrance to that area while he was on the pillion seat giving instructions. That was it; While I was hoping he would allow the wife and I ride several miles on it while he rode the bike we were on with his wife. That didn't happen so we then made an impromptu trip up to Altus OK a couple of weeks later where there was a dealer who happily agreed to allow a short test ride after I visited with them about my total miles on bikes. I signed the liability papers and with instructions from the sales guy on the roads with the least amount of traffic we set out for about a 20-mile ride on a 2012 RT and were convinced we'd made a good decision in telling a private owner we would buy his 2014 RT-L. 12K miles later I'm still luke-warm on satisfaction with the Spyder and still choose one of the bikes most of the time when riding solo, but the Spyder is always the choice for two-up rides.
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 08-07-2022 at 06:17 AM.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Three years ago, I was riding a 2009 Yamaha Venture which I was finding increasingly difficult to handle at low speed/parking lot maneuvors.... last straw was when I caught my boot on the seat dismounting it and tipped it over.... avoided it landing on me but managed to rip both hands open on the gravel I dove onto. This was on a trip to Newfoundland and it was 2 days and 400km before we found a hospital to have my hands looked at.

I always liked the looks of spyders and had two riding buddies with them (an RTL and an F-3) but had never so much as sat on one. Came across a listing on Kijiji of a dealership 1500km away that had a demo unit with 1000km on it for sale...and since it was already September and the dealership was in Northern ONtario where snow can start falling anytime after Labour Day, it was heavily discounted (under $23,000 Canadian). So I hopped on a plane, had them pick me up at my motel the next morning, paid them and got the mandatory "Here's how you start it, here's how you shift into reverse" 20 minute overview, I hopped on and rode it 1500km home over two days!! First 100 km in pouring rain I thought I had made a HUGE mistake (not to mention it was +2C so FREEZING cold first thing in the morning) but by the time I got home I was hooked!! Now 3 years. thousands in "upgrades" and rides all over North America, I can safely say it is the best thing I have ever owned!! Love my Goblin!!

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

Back in 2008 i bought a new spyder and i think it was the first or second year they came out.. I had way to much heat coming from it so i sold it after about 6 months Always smelled gas and just in the back of my mind was afraid it was going to catch fire. My little dog loved riding on it.. I sure miss that little guy
    2011-02-26_11-10-39_962.jpg
    2022 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I've been riding 2 wheeled bikes for about 40yrs... Since 2005 I've been doing touring bikes. I put 150K on my 2004 Yamaha Venture sold it for my Harley Road Glide in 2017.. In 2020 my shoulder surgery failed and I was forced to give up riding. My shoulder can only lift / push 5-10 pounds max. I looked at 3 wheeled options.. Standard trike, I was not able to turn the handle bars at slow speeds. Just too heavy. At the suggestion of my Physical therapist, I took a test ride on a Spyder and found that I could ride it... I found a slightly used 2021 F3T in Cleveland Oh (May 2021)... I flew up and ride it back home to Virginia... I found that the standard bars caused stress on my shoulder so the short reach bars were the ticket. I've ridden my F3 to Daytona Fl, Manchester NH, The Outer-banks NC. to name a few places. This month I'm headed to Asheville NC then over to Columbia SC... It's not 2 wheel fun... It's 3 wheel fun!!!! With the condition of my shoulder It's better then not riding at all.. So Far almost 10K on the odometer and enjoying it.
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Peru, Indiana about 2013 or 2014. It was a blue RTL and I fell in love. On my test ride, it started to rain. I thought, this sux. Then it started to hail. I thought, I'd better stop so I don't go down (hail = ice). Ended up riding back to the shop with zero issues. Decided right then that I would have one some day.
    2021 Honda HRV
    2245 Constitution class starship (refitted 2270-2271) (for sale)
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT (gone)
    2019 Honda CR-V (gone)
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited (gone)
    2014 Kawasaki Nomad (gone)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Kamas, UT March 2014. Saw my 2014 RTL at the dealer, tried it out and bought it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My first was in Moab Utah. Met our friends in our RV there. He had a motorcycle and thought it would be cool to tour the area. I rented a spyder for a day. Holy moly! Scared the you know what out of me. Going around corners I felt it was going to just go straight. Glad the end of the day came. Of course I said I would never own one. I've owned a 2012 RTS and now a 2016 RTS. I am thinking of selling the 16 and maybe getting a 2020 or newer for my last ride.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

The first time my wife and I got to ride a spyder, the demo truck came to Spokane WA and set up at the Spokane Raceway park road course that has twisties and a long straightaway on the back side of the track. We got an orientation and a little practice on braking and turning and then got out on the track. The first couple laps we took it easy at 35 to 40 in the twisties and 65 on the straight to get the feel for the bike. Then we opened it up to 90mph on the straightaway and possibly a tiny bit faster in the twisties. We got to ride both solo and 2 up. This was in 2013 and in 2014 when the 1330 came out we bought the first bike and were hooked. I had ridden 2 wheelers for over 40 years and my wife for about 5 years. We were hooked. My wife had an accident on her 2 wheeler being clipped by another bike, and suffered through a dislocated shoulder that required surgery and a broken pelvis in 4 places. In 2017 we replaced her totaled 2 wheeler with a used 2014 RTS that didn't even have breakin miles that belonged to a club member that rarely rode. We have made many trips on these and during good weather are our main transportation. Without spyders we would no longer be riding.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Spyder Garage

2020 in Salt Lake City after the shipper unloaded it off the truck from Ann Arbor, Michigan.
    2022 Spyder F3L Special Series, Red (Oceanside, CA)
    2018 Spyder RT Limited, Pearl White (SLC, Utah)

Spyder Garage

when I took delivery at the dealer

Spyder Garage

Started riding at 56 in 2008 on a 2-wheeler and made the change in 2009 when I saw my first Spyder at a dealer who was selling a 2008 GS demo. Fast forward to 2010 when the RTs came out, I swapped it for the two-up long ride experience.
    2216154B-A31F-47DC-884F-49D0E04EB5E8_1_105_c.jpg
    BFDD47A6-84F3-4429-8DF1-C5E114FF2D10_1_105_c.jpg
    Last edited by RodO; 03-22-2023 at 09:21 PM.

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Spyder Garage

Six years ago the day before Thanksgiving 2018. I bought the 2017 F3 LTD with 900 miles on it, from a dealer in VA. I got a great deal on it and had it dropped off at my home.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

My background with getting into Can-Am's started when the Covid pandemic hit in 2020. It wasn't even a week after our work sent everyone home to start working remotely when I saw it: on the TV in front of me, as I looked up from my laptop screen, this 3 wheeled motorcycle, moving through the urban streets and the country roads. It was a commercial for the Can-Am Ryker. I have never entertained the thought of riding a motorcycle before but after seeing this Ryker commercial, I was determined that I was going to have one.
    I started to do some research and found that I could take a 2-day class so I could get my 3 wheel endorsement and also, contacted a local dealer to start searching for a Ryker for me. This was easier said than done as this was now at the height of the pandemic. The company that ran the 3 wheel course acknowledged that I was all signed up for my class in June but said I would have to watch my email as they were not sure if they would be able to keep the dates due to how bad covid was spreading. Fast forward to June and I received an email that my class was going to take place! And the dealer also contacted me saying that he just got in some Rykers and I would be all set to pick up my Ryker 600 the week after my class!

The class was awesome and I had a blast! The instructors were great and it was over in a flash! What didn't get over in a flash....going to the DMV to get my license updated with my 3 wheel endorsement. I could no longer go to my local DMV as that was a vehicle only DMV. NJ split the DMV's into ones that only do titles and other vehicle related paperwork and others that deal with licenses. I had to travel an hour and a half to get to the closest DMV so I could get my license updated. I then stood in line, which snaked around the whole grounds of the DMV, for 5 hours in the summer sun. Thankfully, I was able to endure and I was able to get my license updated with my endorsement. The following weekend, I picked up my 2020 Can-Am Ryker 600. WOW! What a feeling it was to be on the streets on this machine. I won't lie...the first couple of minutes were terrifying as the thought popped into my head, "the only thing that is holding me on this machine...is my hands!". After a few more twisties, that thought of terror faded away, replaced with exhilaration. The following spring, as I was ready to go for a ride, I spotted my wife in the doorway to our garage. I went over to her and she said, "I wish I could go with you". Excitedly I asked, "So, does that mean we can get a 2 seater?" To my greater excitement, she said OK. So in the late spring of 2021, we picked up our 2021 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited. We both looked forward to our next ride of wind therapy! Every now and then, I asked her if she would want to try operating either bike but she was content with being a passenger. That was until the following spring where she said, "you know...I am thinking about taking the 3 wheel course to see if I like it or not". Well, not only did she like it....she loved it!! So now my wife and I go out on rides together...sometimes both on the Spyder, but other times, her following me on the Ryker.

As we crossed over into 2023, I got to thinking that, while the Ryker is a blast to ride....you can only do so for 30 to 45 minutes after you need to stop and get the feeling back into your rear end. I started to think that both my wife and I, who just both turned 50 in December, would benefit from getting another Spyder. Not only can you ride longer, but you are also a lot more visible to others and the suspension is much more smoother compared to the sport turned harsher ride of the Ryker. That brings us up to current time....me anxiously waiting for my 2023 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark in Petrol Metallic to come into the dealership.
    2020 Can-Am Ryker 600
    2021 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited
    2020 600 , Can Am White Design

Spyder Garage

April 2019, in the lane going to the barn side of my house. It was when I backed the brand new 2019 F3-S Special Series off of the trailer after I brought it home from the dealership.

I have been riding bikes, trikes, and sidehack rigs for around 60 years. There was no doubt in my mind that I could ride it if I bought it.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At the dealership where I bought it. A mate had a '14 RTL and would come to visit and offer it to me to take for a ride. I'd say "NO it's something my cheque book would have to resolve if I did" Another mate to the two of us, had me come to the city with him and we decided to go to one of the MC dealerships, and it was then I spotted my future mistress. Called the chief cook, we arranged a date to come down and do a test ride together - the deal was that if neither of us liked it the deal was off.

We took it for a test ride, stopped at a mountain lookout, she asked my thoughts "I don't like it", her face had that look of sadness - she loved it. I had a think about what I didn't like (too soft, poor handling, needed a stabiliser bar, very poor tyres) and came back and tested an F3 and realised that it was how BRP set them up that I didn't like. We paid for it there and then.

Slowly over time I have got it to the point it rides handles way better than OEM
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

A 2012 Honda Shawdow.

Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 04-05-2023 at 06:19 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

In 07 the dealer in White Bear Lake had some demos. My wife got tired of my helmet in her face while riding my Beemer, and decided to try her own. She took the MSF course and passed! We found her a 250 Virago, and she was on her way. After a couple of years she wasn't yet comfortable on two wheels, so we went up to try Spyders. After a leisurely trip thru the neighborhood, we stopped in the dealer's driveway - she wanted more. Then we were out playing in traffic at 50+ mph, so we went home thought about it and ordered one for her. Unfortunately, it was delivered the first day of real snow that year (did try it around the block, but too big of a contact patch - no traction). Spring 08 we took to the neighborhood using the recommended riding course in the manual. She got comfortable rather quickly, and she was able to keep up with me, so we took trips. Eventually, we built our own RT, before BRP released theirs, with cruise (MCC from Australia), luggage (GIVI), and other farkles. The best part was someone had to road-test each addition (me), so I got VERY familiar with Spyders. We went to Canada, Dakotas, etc. having a ball. The next best was when I was recovering from a bout with Lyme disease, I HAD to ride, but my left leg could not hold up my 1/2-ton Beemer, so I traded it for my own RT. Still ryding at 76!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-27-2023 at 08:01 PM. Reason: go - got ;-)
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Two mile ride from the owner's garage along a back road and return.

Next day rode 290 miles from south Seattle back to Oregon. Two Cascade Mountain passes. Freeways and highways and secondary roads.

Kept muttering under my breath about the handling. Surprise: It's NOT a motorcycle/two-wheeled vehicle.
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Spyder Garage

instead of our BMW-RS we took 2008 a GS for our 25y honeymoon and changed to a RT (2010) - my plan was to change back to a 2wheeler (Moto Guzzi ?) but than we took the Ryker - for our 40y honeymoon this year
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

In 2014 Can Am was offering test rides at the dealers. So the wife and I rode on my 1996 HD Heritage Softail to Atlantic Power Sports and tested a 2014 RTL. I liked it the wife hated it. In 2017 my legs were bothering me, so I sold the Harley. In 2018 I needed to ride again, I missed it, the wife said she was done riding now that she had grand kids. So I was looking at the F3 and found a 2017 F3 LTD with 800 miles in Virginia at a dealer. I bought it sight unseen and never turned back.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-27-2023 at 07:34 AM. Reason: road ....

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

My very first Spyder was a new 2012 RTS which I purchased at a local dealer in April of 2013. Rode my 2 wheeler trade-in to the dealer and rode the 2012 RTS back home. Since then, I have purchased 2 other Spyders, a 2015 RTS and a 2017 F3 Limited both from iMotorsports in Illinois. I like the F3 the most over the 2 RTS's.892291_4688866945912_719601535_o.jpg [015652].jpg 2017 F3 4.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-27-2023 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

My first ride was after my wife was a passenger on a RT Limited for a 3 hour ice cream ride with our club, June 17, 2023. After that I took the 4 hour Can Am "Get Acquainted" class on a closed course, July 7, 2023. The first on road ride on a Can Am was the 120 mile ride home from the dealer, July 21, 2023.
    Last edited by Lee0123; 08-10-2023 at 01:35 PM. Reason: added dates
    Lee B
    2022 Can Am RT Limited
    2021 Honda NC750X DCT

Spyder Garage

April 2nd, 2016, 1:00pm, Westside Motorsports, Spokane, WA taking my 3 wheel safety course.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I took the MSF 3-wheel course on a Ryker 600. It was fun and I was hooked.
    2022 Spyder F3S pilot

"SpyderWings" on YT

Spyder Garage

2013, Myrtle Beach Bike Week.