Spyder Garage

Default Electrical issues - lights OK on Lo, gone on Hi; grips heat randomly - advice?

I have a 2016 F3L. I haven't done much night time driving, but we were late getting back on a ride the other night and I went to switch my high beams on and my lights went completely out. I'm not sure where to start. I thought about upgrading to LED head lights to match the aux lights that I have. (need to replace those two because one doesn't work) I don't want to spend the money on them if there is another issue causing this.

I also have an issue with my heated grips. They seem to come on randomly, even if I don't have the button pressed. Not sure if these are related or not but I'd like to get it all sorted.

Anyone have any experience/advice?
    2016 F3L (sold)
    2019 F3L
    2019 F3 Limited , Position 5 brake rod Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Loose battery terminals. Blown fuse. Faulty relay. Start there and tell us what you find. Headlights don't fail the way you described.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-30-2022 at 11:16 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

. If you try LED's I recently bought FAHREN brand on Amazon ( $ 40 to 45 ) .... the 16,000 lumen pair .... they light up the night ....seriously ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-30-2022 at 09:06 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The " high beams " really arn't .... they are activated by the SHUTTER mechanism , .... and the low beams should stay ON ...... I thinks it's odd that BOTH shut off at the say time ..... If you try LED's I recently bought FAHREN brand on Amazon ( $ 40 to 45 ) .... the 16,000 lumen pair .... they light up the night ....seriously ..... good luck .... Mike
    I agree on the Fahrens. I put them on my truck this week.

Anyway it's unlikely to be the bulbs gone bad, unless you have some large spikes in voltage in your system.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-30-2022 at 06:41 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The F3 doesnt have a shutter for the high beams. It uses a 9003(H4) high /low beam bulb. It is actually common for both Halogen bulbs to blow at the same time. When one blows, it causes a voltage spike and sometimes takes out the other bulb. I had this happen on my Nissan Altima. Remove the bulbs and test or examine them.
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 07-30-2022 at 04:37 PM.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    The F3 doesnt have a shutter for the high beams. It uses a 9003(H4) high /low beam bulb. It is actually common for both Halogen bulbs to blow at the same time. When one blows, it causes a voltage spike and sometimes takes out the other bulb. I had this happen on my Nissan Altima. Remove the bulbs and test or examine them.
    I stand corrected, I will delete the wrong info .....Thanks for catching this ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Battery terminals are tight and I swapped the relays and fuses around. Still nothing. I'm going to try those Fahren LEDs
    2016 F3L (sold)
    2019 F3L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluesfanatic View Post
    Battery terminals are tight and I swapped the relays and fuses around. Still nothing. I'm going to try those Fahren LEDs
    IF the problem is something other than BULB failure ... the LED's won't solve it ...... but will light up the night once the system is fixed ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Our Spyder has had high end LEDs for years.
    Was curious about the Fahren brand LEDs mentioned and available through Amazon, possibly upgrading my Toyota.
    After reading the Amazon reviews stating failures from overheating, poor customer service regarding warranty replacements, and new out of the box inop LEDs not being replaced, I myself decided to steer clear. Might be worth the time to read the reviews on Amazon prior to purchase.
    Several reviews stated having both LEDs overheat at about the same time while driving at night, causing complete loss of lighting of the road.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Was curious about the Fahren brand LEDs mentioned and available through Amazon, possibly upgrading my Toyota.
    After reading the Amazon reviews stating failures from overheating, poor customer service regarding warranty replacements, and new out of the box inop LEDs not being replaced, I myself decided to steer clear. Might be worth the time to read the reviews on Amazon prior to purchase.
    Several reviews stated having both LEDs overheat at about the same time while driving at night, causing complete loss of lighting of the road.
    I've had zero issues with my Fahrens and the seller, who has proactively reached out to me.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I've only had them for a couple of months, so I can't say about longevity..... only about what I see when using them. .... I have drilled out the back of BOTH covers for air circulation ( back in 2014 ) this has not caused any issues .... of course I don't Power Wash in every nook and cranny of the RT's tupperware. there are some folks who Expect their Spyder to run while under WATER, I'm not one of them....... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Did you also check the fuses in the left box in the second row from above? The two to the left were my culprit - repeatedly! They were not blown but came slightly loose

Spyder Garage

I finally found time to put the Fahren LEDs in and they make a world of difference. As soon as I got the first one it, I tested the brights and they worked! I guess the hi-beams burnt out on both of them. Still have no idea about the heated grips.
    2016 F3L (sold)
    2019 F3L

Spyder Garage

I finally found time to put the Fahren LEDs in and they make a world of difference. As soon as I got the first one it, I tested the brights and they worked! I guess the hi-beams burnt out on both of them. Still have no idea about the heated grips.
    ... Glad you like them ..... and fixed the issue ..... Mike