Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone else having Hot weather starting problems? 2014 RTS

For the past few years I've had trouble starting my RTS after riding in hot weather, as in 90°+. It acts like it's vapor locked. I crank it until it automatically quits cranking, then crank it a second time. Then it will start firing somewhat erratically. After a few seconds it will then start running properly. Sometimes I have to go for a third cranking before it starts properly. A couple of times I tried the drown option, i.e. holding the throttle wide open for a few seconds. That didn't seem to help.

Anyone else experience hot weather starting problems?

Another thing that has happened a couple of times. When I've been running hard, as in 75+ mph, in 95°+ temperature the bike has died when I slowed down and entered a parking lot. It will restart again with no problems.

Again, anyone experience this?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Very Hot Weather 95°F +

....I had this problem a couple of times. The first time I thought somehow, I had hit the 'kill switch'. No I didn't.
    The second time I was slowing down in heavy traffic and there was a lot of exhaust fumes. I never did find a problem and my Spyder Dealer Technician said he was at a loss.
    He said ryde the Spyder in cooler temperatures.

I have not riden in temperatures over 90°F since.
    Also, I can't take the heat anymore.
    Maybe Spyders have a tuff time dealing with 95°F/35°C????

Stay Healthy. ....
    Last edited by Little Blue; 07-30-2022 at 05:26 AM.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Very often we ride our 2014 RTS in as hot or even many degrees hotter temps with no issues.

Considering the fuel pump is mounted within the fuel tank, the entire fuel system should be under almost 60 psi once the pump is powered by the key. At that pressure, any fuel vapor is reabsorbed as liquid fuel, so vapor locking is essentially a non issue with the key on.

Quite possibly, your fuel pump is failing, or is not supplying adequate pressure to operate the system properly. Low fuel pressure can cause a multitude of symptoms, some as you described.

Probably best to verify fuel pressure before replacing the fuel pump assembly. Pretty certain the fuel tank needs to be removed in order to R&R the oem pump.

Another possibility could be an intermittent cam position sensor or similar engine parameter setting sensor failing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had HOT weather starting problems a couple years ago...It acted just like yours...On mine I found that the purge valve was sticking open and this would allow gas fumes to flood the air box from the fuel tank...I blocked off the purge valve and put a vent line from the fuel tank to the atmosphere and terminated it under the bike close to the front of the rear tire...HOT starting problem instantly went away and NEVER returned...(I think I ran a 1/4" fuel line for the vent hose)...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I had HOT weather starting problems a couple years ago...It acted just like yours...On mine I found that the purge valve was sticking open and this would allow gas fumes to flood the air box from the fuel tank...I blocked off the purge valve and put a vent line from the fuel tank to the atmosphere and terminated it under the bike close to the front of the rear tire...HOT starting problem instantly went away and NEVER returned...(I think I ran a 1/4" fuel line for the vent hose)...larryd
    Seems viable. Maybe since I do not run an oem fuel filler cap, tank venting through the oem system into the airbox does not happen.
    Bit odd it dies on deceleration though, but certainly an easy test to fix. Disconnect the hose at the airbox and vent it overboard away from heat.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    For the past few years I've had trouble starting my RTS after riding in hot weather, as in 90°+. It acts like it's vapor locked. I crank it until it automatically quits cranking, then crank it a second time. Then it will start firing somewhat erratically. After a few seconds it will then start running properly. Sometimes I have to go for a third cranking before it starts properly. A couple of times I tried the drown option, i.e. holding the throttle wide open for a few seconds. That didn't seem to help.

Another thing that has happened a couple of times. When I've been running hard, as in 75+ mph, in 95°+ temperature the bike has died when I slowed down and entered a parking lot. It will restart again with no problems.

I have not.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Does the 1330 engine have a purge valve? I know the systems you describe is usually a bad purge valve on the twins. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default How Hot is HOT?

...The wife said that she would not ryde unless the temperature stays below 82°F. So we have been doing the early morning ryde times.

Yesterday's temperature was 86°F when we stopped. It was doable but next time we will stop at 80°F.
    Definitely need to stay hydrated with water. I was surprised by the way I felt after the ryde. Everyone needs to know their limitations.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post

IdahoMtnSpyder,
    i have a 2014RTS-SE6 and I have not had any problems starting the spyder in hot weather( we have had a heat wave for 6 days this month, days temps in the 90's and humidity in the 60's and 70's).

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I had one time about a month ago on a very hot day after a head call tried to start the bike. It caught, sputtered and died twice. Did the WOT routine for a few seconds, waited a min or two for started to cool and it fired right up. Was running a tank of 87 that I had gotten the week before at a fuel stop I was unfamiliar with. That was the first and only time it has done that in 77K+ miles and has not done it again, and I have since ridden on hotter days than the hiccup day. Touch wood.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    IdahoMtnSpyder,
    i have a 2014RTS-SE6 and I have not had any problems starting the spyder in hot weather( we have had a heat wave for 6 days this month, days temps in the 90's and humidity in the 60's and 70's).

Deanna
    What you described is basically Spring time weather here. Barely a touch over warm. The local Spyders here often see mid 90s for temps and close to 100% humidity this time of year. If you factor in the temps of the sun beating into the roads surface, the Spyders underside likely is enduring 130*f or more constantly.
    Seems viable the original poster has a fuel vent issue as others mentioned, but maybe not, since the temps I mentioned do not cause the issues of vapor lock he posted about.

Spyder Garage

Larryd is exactly right. MY wife and i both have 2015 spyders and both have had the exact same problem. Locate hose from fuel tank to purge valve on left side of machine. Plug hose going to purge valve and extend hose from tank to down underneath or toward the back so you dont get gas fumes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    What you described is basically Spring time weather here. Barely a touch over warm. The local Spyders here often see mid 90s for temps and close to 100% humidity this time of year. If you factor in the temps of the sun beating into the roads surface, the Spyders underside likely is enduring 130*f or more constantly.
    Seems viable the original poster has a fuel vent issue as others mentioned, but maybe not, since the temps I mentioned do not cause the issues of vapor lock he posted about.
    PMK,

I was kinda off topic! My bad!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue