Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RTS Belt drifting a bit after tire change

Put on a Riken Raptor tire, replacing a Kenda Kanine. We changed no settings.

The belt has always sat about a dime distance on the rear sprocket to the inside flange. After getting the tire mounted last night we ran the bike while the rear was in the air and all seemed well. The belt reset itself where I expected it to be and while running the wheel belt did not drift in and out.

Any help greatly appreciated

Willie aka Bill

Below are 4 pictures I took in sequence.

1 This is where the belt ran before we changed the tire. Maybe a tad closer to the inside flange

1 20220729_184630_HDR.jpg

2 About where the belt was when I came outside after mounting the tire last night and driving about 20 miles

2 20220729_183922.jpg

3 Slowly drove up the street stopped and took picture. Wife was driving and I was walking behind to see if I could see anything obvious

3 20220729_184243_HDR.jpg

4 Drove at about 35 mph up and down the street

4 20220729_184630_HDR.jpg
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The belt will move outward when you backup and then take a little time to get back in place when you drive forward again. So make sure and drive forward for a while and then check belt, without backing up.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Those belts move around a helluva lot more than most expect - watch what it does as your wife reverses the Spyder up the road for 5-10 metres or so!!

From what you've shown us in those pics, I'd say your belt is pretty close if not exactly where it needs to be - fiddling with it to get it any 'better' will rapidly become an exercise in frustration and you'll end up disappearing down the rabbit hole of ever diminishing returns!!

So take the win you got by not having it move much during the axle pin tightening sequence, and just.......

Yeah, you got it.......

Ryde More, Worry Less!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Those belts move around a helluva lot more than most expect - watch what it does as your wife reverses the Spyder up the road for 5-10 metres or so!!

From what you've shown us in those pics, I'd say your belt is pretty close if not exactly where it needs to be - fiddling with it to get it any 'better' will rapidly become an exercise in frustration and you'll end up disappearing down the rabbit hole of ever diminishing returns!!

So take the win you got by not having it move much during the axle pin tightening sequence, and just.......

Yeah, you got it.......

Ryde More, Worry Less!
    .... A few years ago I saw a video someone had made showing what the drive belt was doing while He drove His RT around ( including in reverse ) ..... the belt was almost constantly moving side to side, especially when in reverse .... I've been posting this for years ..... maybe it should be a Sticky ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I traded for my Spyder a year ago this month... ( July ) and I don't think I ever noticed this kinda high pitch little whine from near the rear wheel until about 2 or 3 months ago, when I put a new set of tires on it. I did all the work myself, except I took the wheels to a shop to have them Balanced. NOW at about 48 mph it starts, and about 65 mph it pretty much goes away. At first I thought it was the rear tire on the road .... but now I think it might be the drive belt ... anyone else ever had this problem???
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-31-2022 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Removed spaces before punctuation marks :-)
    2011 RTS Spyder