Spyder Garage

Default Can BRP aftermarket muffler be quiet?

2009 SE5, pretty much stock all around.

New to the Spyderverse. Motorcycle Dave has already been a fountain of great info, but now I turn to the forum.
    MD identified the obnoxiously loud muffler in the attached photo as a BRP aftermarket. I haven't been able to find any info on it, but it doesn't appear to have been opened up so I assume they're just supposed to be what some of my friends would refer to as "Neighbor Haters". Does anyone know:
    > Can these be re-packed for better sound reduction? (it would need to be significant reduction... this thing is just stupid!)
    > Is there a core/baffle available?
    > Is there a reasonably priced replacement available?

My search for a used OEM or aftermarket replacement has been pretty sparse and new ones are fairly pricey. I hate to drop that kind of coin with no real idea what I would be getting.
    It wouldn't need to be whisper quiet, but something significantly less that open-header that doesn't require a re-tune would be nice.
    Your opinions and guidance would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NotThatBoris; 07-28-2022 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added vehicle info
    2009 GS SE5 , Grey/Black

Spyder Garage

Maybe someone that wants a louder exhaust will see this and want to trade their stock version. I understand your problem. Don't like riding for any distance on the noise makers myself.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NotThatBoris View Post
    Does anyone know:
    > Can these be re-packed for better sound reduction? (it would need to be significant reduction... this thing is just stupid!)
    > Is there a reasonably priced replacement available?some replacements

Given that they are now a few years old & that your muffler really does look like one of BRP's own badged original 'stock or option' muffler versions rather than anything a/mkt per se, the answers to your questions above are most likely :-

> Not readily;
    > Not likely; &
    > As long as it's not stupidly expensive, if it achieves the noise reduction you're after, then it's probably a reasonably priced trade-off, isn't it??

There are some replacements available out there, ranging from cheapie 'couple of hundred $' Chinese knock-offs right up to almost 4 figure $ European big name options, but almost all probably qualify as being called 'pretty loud' right out to 'phenomenally loud'!! . You could also check out the offerings from Lamonster Garage or our various Sponsors here, there are some u-tube clips with sound bites around if you search; maybe if you ask & are prepared to pay, Ricky from RLS Exhausts might even be able to make you something?! . But if your pic is anything to go by, I reckon that most people who own that vintage stock Spyder with a stock exhaust are likely to have something sounding very similar to yours!

Good Luck! And welcome to the Forum, posting here, & the wonderful World of Spyders!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter,

You've pretty much voiced my thoughts item for item. Admittedly I'm a rank amateur with Spyders, though I've been riding quads and Harleys for years. I don't mind spending the money for the results I want, but I've seen folks put money out for pipes that sounded like a camel farting through a slide whistle
    I absolutely will take a look at Lamonster and RLS... Thanks again!
    This is how I learn
    2009 GS SE5 , Grey/Black

Spyder Garage

I have the same problem . It is a bit loud , but the worse is that it is leaking between the first grey ring and the black sleeve . I contacted HINDLE and they said that THEY can repack it . Think i will wait till this winter and see what i can do myself . Good luck and let us know what you end up doing .
    2009 Roadster SM5 , Silver and Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NotThatBoris View Post
    2009 SE5, pretty much stock all around.

New to the Spyderverse. Motorcycle Dave has already been a fountain of great info, but now I turn to the forum.
    MD identified the obnoxiously loud muffler in the attached photo as a BRP aftermarket. I haven't been able to find any info on it, but it doesn't appear to have been opened up so I assume they're just supposed to be what some of my friends would refer to as "Neighbor Haters". Does anyone know:
    > Is there a reasonably priced replacement available?

My search for a used OEM or aftermarket replacement has been pretty sparse and new ones are fairly pricey. I hate to drop that kind of coin with no real idea what I would be getting.
    It wouldn't need to be whisper quiet, but something significantly less that open-header that doesn't require a re-tune would be nice.
    Your opinions and guidance would be greatly appreciated!
    I have a 09 stock muffler available. It was changed out at purchase in 09, so it's practically new with 0 miles on it. Make me a reasonable offer and it's yours. Keep in mind shipping is expensive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39425178650...mis&media=COPY
    Last edited by ozzie; 09-25-2022 at 12:39 PM.
    09 Phanthom

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Back in 09 I bought a USED 08 , it came with that HINDLE and I didn't like it .... it was LOUD, and the sound type didn't improve over the STOCK one ..... luckily for me, the lady that sold it had the OEM and that's what I then swapped the Hindle out for ..... To me the V-twin engine sounded more like a SEWING machine than a motorcycle .....a few folks here tried to change the sound but weren't successful .... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-25-2022 at 09:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have a stock 08 muffler assembly that was only on the spyder a short time. Price will be very little if you pay to ship it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rydernow View Post
    I have a stock 08 muffler assembly that was only on the spyder a short time. Price will be very little if you pay to ship it.
    Always pays to check the date Ryder, the last post in this thread before yours was almost 6 months ago....and if you look at his profile, the OP of this thread hasn't been on the Forum since early August last year!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!