Spyder Garage

Default Shift problem after bike sits o/night but fm then OK - Any ideas?

Just got home from a 1000+ mile trip on our 2011 RT Limited with absolutely no problems. It's now got a BIG 33,000 miles on it. Gave it a good wash and then let it sit for a few days. When I went for a ride, I couldn't get it to shift out of first without it kinda cutting down (but the revs were high). Finally got it to shift into second but it downshifted really hard at stoplights. After my first stop for errands, the problem disappeared completely for the rest of the day. Today, it happened again as I was only a mile from home and had tried several times to shift up. I figured I'd just ride in first to my next stop. Well, in a little bit, it shifted into second by itself! After my first stop today, the problem went away again. Any ideas???
    2011 Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hmmmm....SE5 shifting issue.

Problem affects manual as well as auto shifting.
    Problem resolves itself once engine warms Up.
    Just got back from a long trip.

Have you checked the oil level since you've been back?

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Oil viscosity?

If it is the clutch plates sticking together, rocking back and forth in gear, before starting, will unstick on a M/C.

I had that issue on a new TW200, parked in 60F garage for a couple days, but not after the first oil change to 20/50 pure synthetic.
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 07-28-2022 at 10:06 AM.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Some good advise above. Check oil level, following proper procedure, of course. If you've got more than 4,500 miles on BRP blended oil it is most likely headed, or already at, 20w viscosity. A good 10/40 fully synthetic oil might be a good thing to at least try. Be sure to change the HCM filter with every service. And let us know what you discover.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Hmmmm....SE5 shifting issue.

Problem affects manual as well as auto shifting.
    Problem resolves itself once engine warms Up.
    Just got back from a long trip.

Have you checked the oil level since you've been back?
    Good thought. We checked all the fluid levels before the trip but not since getting back. Thanks.
    2011 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Some good advise above. Check oil level, following proper procedure, of course. If you've got more than 4,500 miles on BRP blended oil it is most likely headed, or already at, 20w viscosity. A good 10/40 fully synthetic oil might be a good thing to at least try. Be sure to change the HCM filter with every service. And let us know what you discover.
    Thanks for the advice about the oil. It's the first time we've taken a trip of that length. Can you tell we're still newbies at this Spyder stuff???!!!
    2011 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnerds View Post
    Thanks for the advice about the oil. It's the first time we've taken a trip of that length. Can you tell we're still newbies at this Spyder stuff???!!!
    Being new is no crime. No one started out knowing everything. It's always a learning process. It won't be long and you'll be an 'Expert' too!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...