Thread: Rear Air Bag

Spyder Garage

Default Rear Air Bag

I knew I should have paid more attention when you mentioned this in Deal's Gap, Len (ThePitBullBuggy), but in the last couple of weeks I've noticed that my was hanging low from the rear and that my wife would feel every bump on the road. Finally, me and my friend Ben (PeacefulBen) compared our , measured the pressure and it was at less than 10 lb. When he went to inflate it, it went up but we could hear a slow air leak and in a couple of seconds went back down!

I called the dealer to start getting the process on the parts, but was told that I need to take it in to analyze where the leak is before we can put the blame on the air bag since it could be a broken valve as well.

Here is my question: Can I still rYde Gray for the rest of the season or should I get this done ASAP? The reason why I'm asking is because I want to install the adjustable air rear suspension kit and I know this would be taken most of the back end of Gray but I don't want to spend that $$$ yet and be down for more than a week waiting for parts... Note: My wife is rYding her own so I am not taking any passengers for the time being...
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If it were me I would take it in so they can get started on parts if needed. Then I would ride it without passenger. Then bit the big one and step up and do the upgrade and be done. Thats just me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canam9 View Post
    I would take it in so they can get started on parts if needed.
    Problem with that is that I could risk being without rYding for weeks if the parts are not available. The dealer is going to leave Gray with all the tupperwars out until the needed parts arrive. Lots of these happening if you need the posts. Not wanting to go thru that!!

And I agree on the rYding without the passenger. I've been doing that for a couple of weeks now and can do it until the end of the season.

Thanks for your comment!
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

I have a similar issue on my 2010 RT. I am so happy with, and have had such good luck with the front Elkas that I am bypassing the factory replacement and putting the rear Elka on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    Problem with that is that I could risk being without rYding for weeks if the parts are not available. The dealer is going to leave Gray with all the tupperwars out until the needed parts arrive. Lots of these happening if you need the posts. Not wanting to go thru that!!

And I agree on the rYding without the passenger. I've been doing that for a couple of weeks now and can do it until the end of the season.

Thanks for your comment!
    There is no need for you to leave the Spyder with the dealer. Since you can hear the leak, it will be easy to find its location. This would be true for any significant leak (with or without soapy water). You will be able to ride until the part arrives, which should be no more than one week (readily available). The repair kit consists of an air bag and a coupler for the air hose. The air bag gets replaced even when the leak is in the coupler, or the hose (BRP policy). The repair kit does not include a new hose, but it is standard issue and available everywhere. It is not hard to get at these parts. It is possible the leak is in the schrader value (check to see if the stem is tight). This is why the dealer wants to see the Spyder before he orders the repair kit. The entire system consists of the schrader valve, a length of hose, a coupler and the air bag. That's it.

My hose was leaking at the coupler when the Spyder left the factory. My air bag would be empty in a couple of hours. The dealer handled this repair very quickly. Now I lose about two pounds per week.

I too, intend to get the automatic leveler kit. Without it the headlights are never adjusted the way I want them. Too little air and the headlights shine high (oncoming cars flash their brights). Too much air, and the headlights shine too low (hard to see anything). It is hard to get just the right amount of air in the bag when you are guessing.

It is alright to use the Spyder while you are waiting for parts. I did, with no problems. The air bag is totally separate from the rear spring and shock absorber. I would not ride two-up, however, because you would bottom-out too much.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WaltH View Post
    There is no need for you to leave the Spyder with the dealer. Since you can hear the leak, it will be easy to find its location. This would be true for any significant leak (with or without soapy water). You will be able to ride until the part arrives, which should be no more than one week (readily available). The repair kit consists of an air bag and a coupler for the air hose. The air bag gets replaced even when the leak is in the coupler, or the hose (BRP policy). The repair kit does not include a new hose, but it is standard issue and available everywhere. It is not hard to get at these parts. It is possible the leak is in the schrader value (check to see if the stem is tight). This is why the dealer wants to see the Spyder before he orders the repair kit. The entire system consists of the schrader valve, a length of hose, a coupler and the air bag. That's it.

My hose was leaking at the coupler when the Spyder left the factory. My air bag would be empty in a couple of hours. The dealer handled this repair very quickly. Now I lose about two pounds per week.

I too, intend to get the automatic leveler kit. Without it the headlights are never adjusted the way I want them. Too little air and the headlights shine high (oncoming cars flash their brights). Too much air, and the headlights shine too low (hard to see anything). It is hard to get just the right amount of air in the bag when you are guessing.

It is alright to use the Spyder while you are waiting for parts. I did, with no problems. The air bag is totally separate from the rear spring and shock absorber. I would not ride two-up, however, because you would bottom-out too much.
    Thanks for the advice!! I may just wait until the end of the season and have the $$$ for the kit.

Previously owned:

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Wink Don't worry

I know it hasn't been as smooth as it was for a while, since the bumps were kind of hard and I've been saying!!!

I'll sacrifice and not go in the back.... I ride my own

I think you will be ok...

Spyder Garage

I agree with above about riding it. I had the same problem and it is a known problem under warrenty. Ride is way different now.
    I do not know which adjustment system, you are talking about, but Baker-Built air wings have a manual system for around $300.00. I have in on min
    Good Luck
    Oldmanzuese.
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WaltH View Post

Sorry it took so long to chime in

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    I do not know which adjustment system, you are talking about, but Baker-Built air wings have a manual system for around $300.00.
    Oldmanzuese.
    I am referring to this: http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/...Suspension_Kit

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

Default air bag...

Erick, since you'll be riding mostly "one-up" now , the compressor might be an unwarranted expense. Get the airbag and fitting replaced and you should be good to go. Since I fixed mine, I only check the air presure when I check my tires, and have had no problems.
    The problem with riding with no air in the bag is that all of the loads are put on the shock. The system was designed to utilize the airbag as a partial suupporting device, and without it you'll be hitting the limits of the shock more often. This could result in damage to the shock itself, and shorter shock life... not to mention a harder ride.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sinkhole View Post
    Erick, since you'll be riding mostly "one-up" now , the compressor might be an unwarranted expense. Get the airbag and fitting replaced and you should be good to go. Since I fixed mine, I only check the air presure when I check my tires, and have had no problems.
    The problem with riding with no air in the bag is that all of the loads are put on the shock. The system was designed to utilize the airbag as a partial suupporting device, and without it you'll be hitting the limits of the shock more often. This could result in damage to the shock itself, and shorter shock life... not to mention a harder ride.
    Thanks Dave! I took Gray yesterday and after the tech raised the on the jack, he inflated the bag and saw where there is a tear in it. Like you said and mentioned before, there is a "fix kit" for it, so I had it ordered.

I also broke myself and ordered the compressor. I know, I know... but I got instantly spoiled when I test rode a RT-S and saw where I can inflate/deflate the bag with a touch of a button... and I like to press buttons!

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    I also broke myself and ordered the compressor. I know, I know... but I got instantly spoiled when I test rode a RT-S and saw where I can inflate/deflate the bag with a touch of a button... and I like to press buttons!
    You could have just ordered one of these.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sinkhole View Post
    You could have just ordered one of these.
    Too bad I can't take pics of my office... I have a collection of them!!!

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

Eric, tell Lera that you are going to need to use/ride her spyder for a few weeks.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Eric, tell Lera that you are going to need to use/ride her spyder for a few weeks.

Chris
    She's lucky (and I'm taking advantage of this... hopefully Gray will be done meanwhile ) that I will be out of town next week on business travel!

Previously owned: