Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Angry Beware of ethanol in Loves Truck Stop gas!

Just got gas in a Love's in Nebraska. The octane selections were 87, 89 and 91. No indication of ethanol content was on the selection buttons. Off to the side of the pump was a notice that informed that the two lower octanes were both E15 and only the 91 was ethanol free, easy to miss if you are not paying attention.

This was only one station, so I'm not sure if other Love's have the same setup, but something to be aware of. I like Love's Truck stops, but I may avoid them now.
    Gary

US Army Vietnam era vet

2023 Can Am F3
    2020 Can Am Ryker 900 ACE (traded)
    2013 Can Am Spyder RT SE5 (traded)
    2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (sold)
    2012 Honda NC700X (sold)
    2012 Honda CBR250 (sold)

States visited on 2 or 3

2020 900 Ace , Black on black

Spyder Garage

Thanks, that's good information.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Garydj View Post
    Just got gas in a Love's in Nebraska. The octane selections were 87, 89 and 91. No indication of ethanol content was on the selection buttons. Off to the side of the pump was a notice that informed that the two lower octanes were both E15 and only the 91 was ethanol free, easy to miss if you are not paying attention.

This was only one station, so I'm not sure if other Love's have the same setup, but something to be aware of. I like Love's Truck stops, but I may avoid them now.
    Interesting that it wasn't better marked ..... many veh's won't be happy with E-15 .... Mike

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When on vacation on the back roads, towing my camper, out in the middle of no where in IA this year, I was stuck with E15 as the one and only available option.
    I wasn't happy about it, but used it. Bike did not seem to be affected by it in any way.
    That was the one and only time I have used E15 fuel.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I don't want this to turn into a political thread what-so-ever but here is why you are seeing E15 this summer:

WASHINGTON — The Administration plans to temporarily allow fuel retailers to sell high-ethanol-content gasoline in the hot summer months to address high pump prices, according to a report by The Wall Street Journal, citing senior administration officials. The decision will allow gasoline with 15% ethanol (E15) to be sold between June 1 and Sept. 15. Normally, only a 10% ethanol blend can be sold during that period to reduce smog caused by the 15% blend’s higher volatility.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-25-2022 at 11:41 PM. Reason: PC
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I suspect the bad effects of E15 on our machines would not be immediate but would show up over time. Hopefully, your next fill up was with the pure stuff to dilute the E15.
    Gary

US Army Vietnam era vet

2023 Can Am F3
    2020 Can Am Ryker 900 ACE (traded)
    2013 Can Am Spyder RT SE5 (traded)
    2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (sold)
    2012 Honda NC700X (sold)
    2012 Honda CBR250 (sold)

States visited on 2 or 3

2020 900 Ace , Black on black

Spyder Garage

That is very good information. The spyder manual says to stay awar from E15. A little bit will not kill you, but I would use it up or dilute it with some E10 as quickly as possible.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Just get you some of this click here

A half ounce (15ml) for each tank and you will be golden. I use it for E-10 as well. And of course for all of my carbureted small engines.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-25-2022 at 11:40 PM. Reason: click colour ;-)

Spyder Garage

I suspect the bad effects of E15 on our machines would not be immediate but would show up over time. Hopefully, your next fill up was with the pure stuff to dilute the E15.
    This is correct. As many have stated "take a moment and read the stickers on the fuel pump.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    This is correct. As many have stated "take a moment and read the stickers on the fuel pump.
    Including the "I did that" stickers.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    I don't want this to turn into a political thread what-so-ever but here is why you are seeing E15 this summer:

WASHINGTON — The Administration plans to temporarily allow fuel retailers to sell high-ethanol-content gasoline in the hot summer months to address high pump prices, according to a report by The Wall Street Journal, citing senior administration officials. The decision will allow gasoline with 15% ethanol (E15) to be sold between June 1 and Sept. 15. Normally, only a 10% ethanol blend can be sold during that period to reduce smog caused by the 15% blend’s higher volatility.
    So, Love's may not be the only retailer that's doing the 15% stuff. Good to know.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-25-2022 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

from 2017 https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...PA-amp-Ethonal!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-25-2022 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Just get you some of this click here

A half ounce (15ml) for each tank and you will be golden. I use it for E-10 as well. And of course for all of my carbureted small engines.
    Frogman, you are right on the money about Stabil marine. I carry a bottle with me and use it at every fill-up. I have been using it in my RTs since July of 2018, and the engine has performed flawlessly since day 1. It is one of few products that works as advertised.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-25-2022 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    Frogman, you are right on the money about Stabil marine. I carry a bottle with me and use it at every fill-up. I have been using it in my RTs since July of 2018, and the engine has performed flawlessly since day 1. It is one of few products that works as advertised.
    I've been using Stabil Marine for years, but only for the winter nap that all my gas engines take during their off season. I've never had a fuel related issue with anything when go-season begins. I use it in the winter toys as well for their summer naps. It is good stuff...I've never just carried along to add in regular fillups though. We always have access to premium non-ethanol though.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Excellent information! I'm getting ready to do a road trip at the end of this week. While shopping at WallyWorld I picked up a bottle of Stabil to carry with me. To my surprise, a clerk needed to verify my age at the self-check-out! What's that all about?????

Edit: I also bought a bottle of mouthwash and asked the clerk about checking ID for that. She said no. She needed to verify my age for the Stabil. Seems a little odd to me. Maybe because it's poison if you drink it.....???
    Last edited by canamjhb; 07-26-2022 at 06:30 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Must be using to make drugs. I have be carded for NyQuil.
    2010 RT
    2015 Ural
    1980 & 1982 R65 BMW
    1975 R90/6 BMW
    1956 Triumph TR3A

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. I have a Love's planned fuel stop in Knoxville on my way to SITO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Excellent information! I'm getting ready to do a road trip at the end of this week. While shopping at WallyWorld I picked up a bottle of Stabil to carry with me. To my surprise, a clerk needed to verify my age at the self-check-out! What's that all about?????

Edit: I also bought a bottle of mouthwash and asked the clerk about checking ID for that. She said no. She needed to verify my age for the Stabil. Seems a little odd to me. Maybe because it's poison if you drink it.....???
    Dunno if you've got the same sorta laws anywhere over there, but here in Oz, there are areas/sections of some Outback communities where many of the young kids who can't otherwise easily access alcohol graduate from sniffing glue to sniffing petrol, with pretty nasty results over time &/or death. To reduce the damage/deaths this causes, since about 2005 there's been no 'normal' ULP91 (RON) gas sold throught most of the Outback, it's been replaced by a low-aromatic version of ULP91 called OPAL - it's still a 91 RON gas; costs the just the same as ULP91; works just the same as ULP91; has maybe as much of a variation in fuel economy as 0.3 litres per 100km more fuel used; and aside from being purple in colour, it does exactly the same job as ULP91 EXCEPT that it doesn't give anywhere near the same high to petrol sniffers....

So the kids don't bother sniffing OPAL any more, they've graduated to sniffing the petro-chemical concentrates like Fuel/Injector Cleaners &/or Octane Boosters that concentrate the petro-chemical bits & the damaging aromatics, and that's led to rules in many areas requiring retailers of these products to identify & check the age of each purchaser, with strict limits on quantities & under-age purchasing! That age-check requirement usually makes the day of any of the 'Grey Nomads' who tour the Outback in their 4WD's & Vans who might buy that sorta stuff - the number of times I've seen a couple who've been legally allowed to buy/drink booze for 50-60 plus years all excited & getting their picture taken while the 'checkout chick' checks their age before letting them buy a bottle of injector cleaner would blow your mind!

But this age control on buying concentrates & the introduction of OPAL has resulted in a drop of 'petrol or petrol product sniffing' of about 94% in those communities worst affected, and a subsequent significant drop in the incidence of permanent brain damage &/or deaths due to said sniffing! And that's worth it at just about any price!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    while shopping at wallyworld i picked up a bottle of stabil to carry with me. To my surprise, a clerk needed to verify my age at the self-check-out! What's that all about?????
    bomb, or things that boom in the night
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Ding, ding, ding. Peter is right. Kids (or adults for that matter) will sniff it. We called it huffing back in the day.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So the ethanol thing is pretty common. I have a good friend that hauls fuel for a living. They all get the gas from the same pipeline at the same place. Then pull around to the ethanol rack and top off with ethanol. They’ve been doing it for years according to him. I will say I was mind blown when he took me with on one trip and I saw the different gas station trucks all lined up getting it from the same pipe. It was pretty interesting. He also told me some places the gas is all premium. He made it a point to tell me that he doesn’t have “chambers” in his truck for different grades of fuels. Idk
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-27-2022 at 11:35 AM. Reason: on ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by peatmoss View Post
    So the ethanol thing is pretty common. I have a good friend that hauls fuel for a living. They all get the gas from the same pipeline at the same place. Then pull around to the ethanol rack and top off with ethanol. They’ve been doing it for years according to him. I will say I was mind blown when he took me with on one trip and I saw the different gas station trucks all lined up getting it from the same pipe. It was pretty interesting. He also told me some places the gas is all premium. He made it a point to tell me that he doesn’t have “chambers” in his truck for different grades of fuels. Idk
    It would be interesting to know what bulk plant this was. At some locations you will find multiple large tanks for the various companies they serve. At some locations the bulk gas may be shared but then the additive package changes as its loaded. It's rare, but depending on availability you might accidently get premium when you purchase a lower grade. That's legal. But what will get you thrown in jail or a fine, depending on state, is to sell regular as premium. Most of the MC-306/406 trailers on the road have 3 to 5 compartments to accommodate the various grades of gas and or diesel that might make up a delivery.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-27-2022 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I saw a post on BITOG that Sheetz is selling 88 octane which is E15 in PA .
    Only way I would use E15 is in a flex fuel vehicle, not in anything else and if it meant walking only enough to get to the next station. My boat has a nice large sticker on it that says no E15, it's not there for decoration.
    2x on additives going in at the rack. Not only ethanol but the ''detergents'' of the different brands. Been like that for years even before ethanol. That's why no name gas is cheaper, no additive packs just basic rack fuel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cravenfun; 07-27-2022 at 09:47 AM.
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Spyder Garage

You get carded for Stabil but fentanyl comes across unrestricted. Go figure. Crazy.
    2021 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by peatmoss View Post
    yessssss, I was a Mechanic at a truck stop Garage for many years, and where they got all their Fuel was same as you said....... every company truck from hundreds of miles all got their fuel from the same place, and same kind of fuel. But some put additives in the fuel as it goes in the ground into the fuel tanks at the truck stop.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-27-2022 at 07:42 PM. Reason: form - from & ' 's ;-)
    2011 RTS Spyder