Spyder Garage

Default Leaking oil filler neck (dipstick)

I took my 2022 Ryker Sport in for an oil change at the dealer and a couple of rides later I noticed oil all over the bottom right fairing near the dipstick. I pulled over and found the dipstick fully open and oil had come out of the filler neck. I had checked it after bringing it home from the oil change and it was tight and good. I have no clue how it came loose. I tightened it back up and when I got home I cleaned up the oil a bit. I also checked the oil level and found that it read a bit high on the dipstick. I think I followed the check procedure properly. (If you don't the oil level should read low.)

On the next ride, I saw a single stream of oil in that same spot near the brake lever after riding for about an hour. I pulled over and found that the dipstick was ever so slightly loose. I figured I must not have tightened it all the way and chalked it up to my own mess up.

Then on a third ride I saw another bit of oil in that exact same spot. I checked the dipstick again and it was tight. I figured I had a problem at that point and called the dealer. I told them that I had taken my Ryker for an oil change there 3 weeks prior and that I'm seeing oil coming out of the fill neck. I also told them that the oil read high and I was worried that they overfilled the engine.

The dealer said that the oil fill neck is leaking at the bottom where there is an O-ring that attaches the neck to the engine case. I asked how that could happen and the mechanic said that it must not have been tightened properly at the factory. I mentioned the oil level to him and he said, "It looked good to me." He said he was going to order new parts and replace the neck and dipstick with new under warranty. I'm now waiting for the parts to come in.

Has anyone had this happen or heard of this? The machine is nearly brand new with only 1,700 miles.
    2022 Spyder F3S pilot

"SpyderWings" on YT

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the dealer overfilled your oil.

Spyder Garage

I'm beginning to think, owning a Ryker is a lot like owning an old Triumph. If it's not one thing..... it's another.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-25-2022 at 08:35 AM. Reason: ....ink,own... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I agree with Dennis
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a leak around the dip stick on my 2016 F3T. They had to replace the gasket around the dip stick tube. No more leaks for me.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    Sounds like the dealer overfilled your oil.
    ....that was my first thought on this ..... not un-common .... IMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    I'm beginning to think, owning a Ryker is a lot like owning an old Triumph. If it's not one thing..... it's another.
    Now that I've been hearing of all these problems with the Rykers, I wonder if I would have bought mine back in July, '19. BUT the only problem that I've ever had was a slightly crooked handlebar that I corrected myself. Oh, and the wheel nut recall. Even the transmission warning didn't come on until 12,528 miles. I changed the CVT belt but still gotta get to the dealer. I think I've been pretty lucky and there's plenty of wood to knock on around here. I'll start now...

Spyder Garage

I guess I better check my oil stick whenever I get my Ryker back out of the shop. I told them to change the oil too.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-26-2022 at 02:45 AM. Reason: ...op.I... ;-)
    U.S.Marine Corps
    Vietnam-Veteran 68/69

Spyder Garage

My dealer is the only dealer that's somewhat close to me. They have one guy that works on Rykers and he must work on a lot of them because the dealer has sold quite a few since they came out. If this guy doesn't follow the oil level check procedure, then he must be doing this to other Rykers. How the heck can I trust him to do real work if I can't even trust him to check the oil level properly? I hope overfilling the oil didn't damage anything internally. The pressure found an outlet at the filler neck, at least.

I'm taking the Ryker in this week for the filler neck replacement and the handlebar bolt recall. I'm not a confident camper here.
    2022 Spyder F3S pilot

"SpyderWings" on YT