Spyder Garage

Default F3L vs RTL comparison questions - any input?

I currently have a 2020 RTL and am thinking about changing to a 2022 F3L Special. I understand that the storage capacity is less on the F3. Is that in the frunk due to front end design difference? Does the F3 windshield allow more wind onto the passenger head area? Does the more open engine area allow more heat onto driver? The big thing that I want to get away from is the feeling of "sitting on top" of the bike and having to react to the force in turning. The F3 appears to let you "sit in" the bike and may have less force trying to throw you off on turns. Does the wiring under the seat allow for plug in heated seat option? Lastly, is the F3L exhaust more throaty than the RTL. Dealer has one but still crated so have not seen/driven it. Thanks for any F3L owners responses.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-24-2022 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask question ;-)

Spyder Garage

The side bags are smaller as is the frunk. The whole Spyder looks and feels smaller. I don't know that the exhaust is any throatier than an RTL. Yes you do sit in the seat not on it. I live in Arizona and don't notice much if any heat from the motor. There are a few factory provided power sources. At least one very close to the seat.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I have the 2022 F3 Limited special series and wife the 2021 RT limited. Definitely more wind on the F3, at least with stock windshield. That will be among my first mods. Wind isn't bad at road speeds but at interstate speeds I find more buffeting than I'd like. I prefer the sitting in of the F3, wife prefers sitting on of the RT. F3 also allows more legroom, especially with the brake rod option out to position 5. As rjinaz stated, saddlebags and frunk are smaller. I haven't paid any real attention to sound of our bikes, and haven't noticed anything so I suspect difference is negligible if any difference at all.

Spyder Garage

I have the 2021 RTL.
    Before you bail…
    I Came from a Gold Wing GL1800 trike for several years.
    Possibly the “trying to throw me off in the turns” feeling can be rectified by simply pressing down on the floorboard or peg with the foot opposite of the turn.
    Ie, if you are turning left, press down with your right foot and vice-versa.
    As for sitting down “in” the bike vs. perched on top… I put my legs forward and lean back on the driver’s backrest. I use my knees to hug the bike if I get into a rough area of road.
    I chose the RTL over the F3 as I wanted the wind/water protection It seemed to offer over the F3.
    Last edited by Pooch; 07-25-2022 at 07:52 AM.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It will all come down to personal preference. I have owned 2 F3T, 2 F3 Limited, and a 2014 RT. The F3 frunk and saddle bags are a lot smaller. As for feeling like you will be thrown off the RT, I rode my buddies 2020 RTL for about 35 miles. With the seating position, I actually think I can be as fast or faster on the newer RT due to the seating position. It allows me to sort of hang off the seat in the curves if needed. That is harder to do with the feet forward position on the F3 Series. There is very little difference in heat from what I could tell coming from the engine. I like the fact that you can purchase a shorter windshield for the RT and have more air when needed, and then electronically let the shield up to help when wind is too much.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

thanks to all for the replies. I like the styling of the F3L over the RTL. the one thing that I don’t like on the RTL are the two radiators which capture road trash/bugs like a vacuum sweeper for highways. the front end of the F3L appears to be less prone for this. As far as storage goes, i think i can live with that since i don’t pack that much on week long trips- mostly weather gear and bike tools with only several days worth of clothes. With the top rack luggage carrier as std. on the bike, will have additional space available. With more wind in the face, after riding Harleys most of my life, that should not be a issue. I plan on taking the optional sporty exhaust off RTL and putting it on the F3L.

Spyder Garage

I prefer the RT over the f3. I've had 4 RTs and now have f3 limited. The f3 has more motor noise and way more wind disruption. my next one will be an RTL again.

Spyder Garage

The biggest consideration for me in ending up with an RTL was the seating position. I came from years on sport touring bikes where my feet were directly under me. Anyone coming from a cruiser or a HD is accustomed to a feet forward arrangement. To me, it was easier to maintain proper riding posture with my feet under my body rather than stretched out in front which always resulted in my slumping in the seat and having back pain. It comes down to different strokes for different folks. Others, especially those used to feet forward position may prefer that. I will admit also that the riding position on an RT is more on the bike while on an F3 you sit down lower in the bike. To me also it was easier to shift my weight on the seat while cornering if my feet were under my body. The RT definitely does have more wind protection and protection of the lower body from wind and rain. There is no cookie cutter answer to the question, it just depends on what a particular rider prefers.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

The above posters have the subject covered very well.

I have had both, three RT's and two F3's.

The feel is mostly the perception of the driver. Bottom line, IMO, of course, do you like driving a Cadillac or a Jaguar? They are both very nice, but the overall ride is a bit different. One is a bit more sporty and closer to the road feeling. Here in Arkansas, we have a lot of twisties. The F3L excels here. In Alaska, with miles and miles of territory, we liked the RT's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

After trading the 2020 RTL in on the 2022 F3L Special, I had a 260 mile ride back to the house. Some Interstate and some country winding roads. What I noticed on Interstate was less buffeting by large trucks as opposed to the RTL. Thinking that the large windshield on the RTL catches more wind and the front end design too? When running the country roads, I could take the turns faster and did not have to use the legs for bracing like on the RTL. The shifting is more crisp and with more torque accelerating than the RTL. Overall, loving it - more fun to ride than RTL.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-04-2022 at 12:27 PM. Reason: 202F3LS - 2022 F3L Special . %-)