Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Electric Windshield adjustment bar broke. Any suggestions?

I have a 2010 Can Am Spyder RT, and the bar that makes the windshield go up and down broke. I've been trying to fix it with JB Weld, and it's not working. I called a dealer, who said I had to buy the entire assembly, in order to replace this one part - and it would cost around $800.00 just for the assembly. Having it installed would be extra.

Does anyone have any suggestions for either fixing it, or how to get just that one piece? It's the bar that come out, and attaches to the windshield.

HELP!!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-24-2022 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Removed Prefix - This is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:' DIY explanation....

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DocAMVETS View Post
    I have a 2010 Can Am Spyder RT, and the bar that makes the windshield go up and down broke. I've been trying to fix it with JB Weld, and it's not working. I called a dealer, who said I had to buy the entire assembly, in order to replace this one part - and it would cost around $800.00 just for the assembly. Having it installed would be extra.

Does anyone have any suggestions for either fixing it, or how to get just that one piece? It's the bar that come out, and attaches to the windshield.

HELP!!!
    Well that dealer apparantly doesn't know BRP ( after many years of owner complaints ) decided they would sell you the ARM without the entire motor mechanism etc. .... So the ARM by itself IS available ..... However it is the same CRAPPY arm your Spyder came with.... A member on the forum created a SOLID aluminum copy that most folks buy contact " Noboot " about getting one.... His comes with shims / tools and good instructions ..... good luck ...... a couple years before the " Noboot " option I was able to weld two plates on either side of the arm using a strap around the entire ARM .... mine has been solid since 2015 .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-24-2022 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Noboot

Spyder Garage

As Mike says, Doc, send a PM to Noboot & he'll sort you out.

You might even find that Lamonster has a version too, altho it might come without all the wedges etc that make Ron's (noboot) so good.

But when it comes to the OEM excuse for a windscreen support arm, I wouldn't use another OEM arm if THEY paid ME $800 to do it... Now if they made it $8000, then ......maybe...

Check these out:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...t-Aluminum-Arm

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ne-from-noboot

And for the dealer that doesn't know his products...

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ew-plastic-arm

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-24-2022 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Links
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Did mine last year Noboot is a real standup guy, great to work with and makes a GREAT part!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

The same thing happened to me as well. I didn't find it on Lamonster's site but did find the billet replacement arm at https://www.canamspyderaccessories.com/. They provide free shipping but I requested overnight which they did at no additional cost. Great response from Pierre and his staff.

Spyder Garage

Thank you so much. I've been dealing with this for 4 days now, and I am getting VERY FRUSTRATED !!! That website has exactly what I need.

Spyder Garage

You will need to message him to confirm this fits yours but here is his eBay store “I think?” I just sent him a PM myself. Just installed a 28 inch F4 and concerned the Oem might break. Want one on standby for if and when it does.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25560699688...UAAOSwle9hSRiE

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Is Pierre’s black alloy arm made by noboot? Is it the Same kit with all the wedges and tools just distributed out of Canada? Anyone know?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Is Pierre’s black alloy arm made by noboot? Is it the Same kit with all the wedges and tools just distributed out of Canada? Anyone know?
    No that is not my Arm and it made differently to my one. For me it's the opposition and a bit of competition. Our was the first replacement outside of the BRP replacement.
    2015 RTS Special Series

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply noboot and PM! Reply sent.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    ... Just installed a 28 inch F4 and concerned the Oem might break. Want one on standby for if and when it does.
    Here's the tip I learned on this Forum long ago... never ryde with your windshield all the way down. It's the constant road-shock that breaks those weak arms. After lowering your windshield, bump it back up just a tad, to get it off the "bottom-rest."
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Here's the tip I learned on this Forum long ago... never ryde with your windshield all the way down. It's the constant road-shock that breaks those weak arms. After lowering your windshield, bump it back up just a tad, to get it off the "bottom-rest."
    Well it actually doesn't ..... When I researched improving the OEM Arm, ( by covering it with 20 ga. steel stock ) ... I discovered the Arm doesn't actually rest on anything .....How do I know this - I put a piece of PAPER under the ARM just before it stopped. I let go of the paper and it Fell out, the Arm wasn't touching it. I posted this info a few times over the last 6 or 7 years. .... the Arm works just like an elevator mechanism does .... It stops , ( via a magnetic trigger ) but not because it rests on anything .... not even on the ground floor ..... another Urban legend dis-proved ....... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-25-2022 at 10:22 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    I've heard that same story, but in my opinion, it's incorrect.
    I noticed on my 2010 Spyder that the whole support was loose. Whenever I went over a bump, the windshield would twist. This twist was, in turn, transmitted to the windshield arm. I broke two of them on my 2010 Spyder.
    Back in 2010, the mechanism to raise and lower the windshield was sold as a complete unit. It was not designed for repair. The power arm was not available as a separate piece.
    At the time, BRP paid for both repairs, once under the standard warranty and the second under BEST.
    When I got my 2014 Spyder, BRP changed the conditions of BEST, calling the windshield arm a "body part" and therefore not covered.
    I observed that the entire mechanism on the windshield was identical to the 2010
    The first thing I did was replace the arm with one from noboot as preventive maintenance, before the OEM arm even had a chance to break.
    The mechanism was not designed for repair, replacing the arm was not straighforward, but doable, thanks to noboot and his crew.
    I've noticed on my 2020 Spyder, the power arm appears to be the same design as the original, but it's covered in black paint so I can't be certain.
    The windshield is significantly better supported and doesn't twist over bumps, so I'm hopeful that it will be more reliable.
    BRP now sells the arm as a repair part, so I'm assuming replacing the arm is easier.
    Still, if and when the time comes, I will get the replacement part from noboot. I'll just have to paint it black before I install it.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll just have to paint it black before I install it.
    !
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Just wanted to update you on my quest for the windshield arm bracket repair and its installation.
    I made an appointment (2 weeks ago) at my dealer as I have no place to do major repairs. In the meantime, I removed the windshield so I could ride and searched for the part. I ordered it from an online vendor with the part number found here on spyderlovers. After a 10 day wait it arrived but was incorrect. As my appt. was less than a week away, I ordered the part from canamspyderaccessories.com and requested next day delivery. They called me to confirm both the delivery request and my address and then sent it overnight with no delivery charges. A tip of the helmet to Pierre and Lydia.
    I brought the part, Spyder and windshield to my dealer at 10 AM yesterday. At 1:30 PM yesterday, Phil the technician called me that all was done. I am happy with the service and turn-around time from Formula 1 and with canamspyderaccessories for their accommodation for a customer.
    If I hadn't provided the part, it would have been at least another week without the windshield causing me to cancel some long ride trips.

Ride Safe.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    Just wanted to update you on my quest for the windshield arm bracket repair and its installation.
    I made an appointment (2 weeks ago) at my dealer as I have no place to do major repairs. In the meantime, I removed the windshield so I could ride and searched for the part. I ordered it from an online vendor with the part number found here on spyderlovers. After a 10 day wait it arrived but was incorrect. As my appt. was less than a week away, I ordered the part from canamspyderaccessories.com and requested next day delivery. They called me to confirm both the delivery request and my address and then sent it overnight with no delivery charges. A tip of the helmet to Pierre and Lydia.
    I brought the part, Spyder and windshield to my dealer at 10 AM yesterday. At 1:30 PM yesterday, Phil the technician called me that all was done. I am happy with the service and turn-around time from Formula 1 and with canamspyderaccessories for their accommodation for a customer.
    If I hadn't provided the part, it would have been at least another week without the windshield causing me to cancel some long ride trips.

Ride Safe.
    Interesting - glad you got it fixed ..... however I can't understand how the first part was " in-correct " ie. didn't fit ??? .... the ARM is the same for ALL RT's that have them ...... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The two aftermarket replacement windshield arms are different:

1. In color - chromed in Aussie and black in Canada..
    2. When using the chromed replacement from Australia you can speak and swear in English. Sh#@
    3. When using the black replacement you should only swear in French whilst replacing. Merde.

Both providers have been supporters of Spyder riders. Noboot (Aussie) was the first to supply the arm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ62VCiIe70 to provide product and details.

Pierre (Canada) has been supplying many parts and accessories and education for Spyder riders for a variety of items.

I buy from both suppliers but I bought the arm from noboot and some electronics from Pierre before he supplied the arms
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-28-2022 at 09:28 AM. Reason: ...
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Interesting - glad you got it fixed ..... however I can't understand how the first part was " in-correct " ie. didn't fit ??? .... the ARM is the same for ALL RT's that have them ...... JMHO .... Mike
    Mike, I ordered BRP part 705013108 (from a post here), I received 219800321 Arm - Rear Assembly. If you search on BRP's site 705013108, comes up as a door for a can am Maverick with a different number. So if anyone needs 219800321 I have one. Anyway, as I wrote everything worked out.

Spyder Garage

Mike, I ordered BRP part 705013108 (from a post here), I received 219800321 Arm - Rear Assembly. If you search on BRP's site 705013108, comes up as a door for a can am Maverick with a different number. So if anyone needs 219800321 I have one. Anyway, as I wrote everything worked out.
    Thanks for answering me ..... So you didn't receive an ARM that wouldn't fit ...... you received a part that wasn't even an ARM ..... ......... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post
    The two aftermarket replacement windshield arms are different:

1. In color - chromed in Aussie and black in Canada..
    2. When using the chromed replacement from Australia you can speak and swear in English. Sh#@
    3. When using the black replacement you should only swear in French whilst replacing. Merde.

Both providers have been supporters of Spyder riders. Noboot (Aussie) was the first to supply the arm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ62VCiIe70 to provide product and details.

Pierre (Canada) has been supplying many parts and accessories and education for Spyder riders for a variety of items.

I buy from both suppliers but I bought the arm from noboot and some electronics from Pierre before he supplied the arms
    I believe noboot's arm is polished billet aluminum, not chrome plated metal.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ride Safe.
    What is Pierre's product made from?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I believe noboot's arm is polished billet aluminum, not chrome plated metal.
    That is correct it's polished Billet Aluminum, and the work involved in making these units is extensive and 100% effort goes in making each one. It's not a robotic production line.

The OEM arms from BRP from 2020 on are painted black and the only thing that does is to hide the tell-tale crack that appears just before they break. We tell all our Spyder friends to check their arm on their Spyder at least once a month, just have a little look and if you see any cracking be aware.

Cheers
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-28-2022 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Tel tale...
    2015 RTS Special Series

Spyder Garage

Default Replacement windshield adjustment bar

It doesn't look the same, however it would be cheaper to get with less postage if any compared to Noboot's version.

https://www.canamspyderaccessories.c...dshield-black/
    2012 RT , Yes Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dubliner View Post
    It doesn't look the same, however it would be cheaper to get with less postage if any compared to Noboot's version.

https://www.canamspyderaccessories.c...dshield-black/
    Competition is good and healthy, their arm is close to $20+ more expensive than our one and no doubt we believe ours is by far a better construction. It all comes down to consumer choice.
    2015 RTS Special Series