Spyder Garage

Default Belt Tensioner, use it or do not use it?? What’s y’all opinion on that.

Hey all, I did remove my original belt tensioner from my F3T but feel uncomfortable with the vibration that starts when I’m doing 75 MPH to 80 MPH. I do have the Spyder F3T 2018. What’s y’all opinion on that. The only concern that i have is that my belt seems to move on the rear sprocket left to right. The original belt tensioner , since it was plastic< just melted away with the side of the belt rubbing on it. Thanks in advance for y’all’s opinions.
    2018 Spyder F3T , Bright White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Clopez68 View Post
    Hey all, I did remove my original belt tensioner from my F3T but feel uncomfortable with the vibration that starts when I’m doing 75 MPH to 80 MPH. I do have the Spyder F3T 2018. What’s y’all opinion on that. The only concern that i have is that my belt seems to move on the rear sprocket left to right. The original belt tensioner , since it was plastic< just melted away with the side of the belt rubbing on it. Thanks in advance for y’all’s opinions.
    I'm Anti-belt tensioner ...... I lowered my tension to 160 lbs with tire on the ground .... and have No noticeable Vibes .... There have been folks here that had the tensioner pulley FAIL and it shredded the Drive belt. ... That's about $500.00 repair ( not including towing etc. ) .... If that thought doesn't upset you ... then do get it ...... OR just live with the minor irritation. ...After all it isn't a Cadillac it's an Mtc. ..... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Readjust your belt tension, slow down a bit and the vibration will go away. Your belt will move from side to side. So as long as it does not move off the edge of either sprocket you're good.

Spyder Garage

I don't want one, but that's me. If you install a tensioner just keep an eye on it from time to time. They can fail and belt damage may occur if they do.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    I don't want one, but that's me. If you install a tensioner just keep an eye on it from time to time. They can fail and belt damage may occur if they do.
    Yes that can work ..... however IMHO it won't help you .... There's NO warning light on the dashboard like you would have with FOBO ( which I recommend for any TRAILER being towed ..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have never used one. Did lower tension to 160
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

If it came with one, use it. If not, don't.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I've tried the lower tension and all it did was change the MPH range that the vibration occurred. I'll use it and keep check on it.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm a fan of belt tensioners...There's a reason BRP started installing them from the factory...Changing the belt tension just moves the vibration to a different speed...

Spend a little more and buy a QUALITY SMOOTH SPYDER belt tensioner...You'll never have a problem...Yes I have one...larryd

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

https://www.lamonstergarage.com/belt...-idler-pulley/

I have an OEM tensioner with a Lamonster bearing...
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    https://www.lamonstergarage.com/belt...-idler-pulley/

I have an OEM tensioner with a Lamonster bearing...
    My ‘21 RT came with one from the factory. There is no way I am going to modify it, even though Lamonster’s roller is a better unit. If the OEM dampener fails and shreds the belt, there is only ONE party accountable for the repair.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

My 2020 F3S came with the OEM dampener. It failed at about 9,000 miles and shredded the belt. My dealer covered it and the belt under warranty. I got the Lamonster improved roller but decided not to install it at the time - with the idea that there is one less thing to fail. Belt tension set at 160 as recommended by several people here. I've ridden the bike for the last 12000 miles without the dampener. But the belt vibrations were annoying. After a 3,000 mile ride to Nova Scotia to do the Cabot Trail, I decided to re-installed the dampener with the Lamonster roller and now the bike is back to smooth running. I'm going to keep it this way and just check the roller frequently.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yabbadabbadoo View Post
    My 2020 F3S came with the OEM dampener. It failed at about 9,000 miles and shredded the belt. My dealer covered it and the belt under warranty. I got the Lamonster improved roller but decided not to install it at the time - with the idea that there is one less thing to fail. Belt tension set at 160 as recommended by several people here. I've ridden the bike for the last 12000 miles without the dampener. But the belt vibrations were annoying. After a 3,000 mile ride to Nova Scotia to do the Cabot Trail, I decided to re-installed the dampener with the Lamonster roller and now the bike is back to smooth running. I'm going to keep it this way and just check the roller frequently.
    Glad to hear BRP covered your loss ..... however if your new roller fails ...... $$$$$$$$$ from your pocket .... unless LaMonster warranties His roller ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

For the cost of these bikes you'd think BRP could at least make some effin quality parts for them out the door. I mean seriously, these machines are cheaply made in my opinion.
    2020 F3 Limited
    2004 Valkyrie Rune
    1998 Valkyrie
    2007 M109R

Spyder Garage

I put SMOOTH SPYDER belt tensioners on my 2015 F3, made a world of difference to me. A HUGE DIFFERENCE!
    In my humble opinion, I think they are a must!
    Last edited by Ronbo; 08-04-2022 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Adddn info

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SmackDabb View Post
    For the cost of these bikes you'd think BRP could at least make some effin quality parts for them out the door. I mean seriously, these machines are cheaply made in my opinion.
    1000% agree...

I don't understand why they are not shaft driven. Sooo much better in all accounts.

Tim

PS... LOVE LOVE LOVE your Rune. I'm a GoldWing guy. The Rune is a work of art. I almost had one of those once. I should have pulled the trigger.
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!