Thread: Spyder is gone!

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder is gone!

After visiting a somewhat local dealer on 7/9/22 looking at LSVs I noticed they had a few new 22 Rykers in stock. They had two Rallys in stock and I really liked them. That led to me thinking about trading in or selling my 21 RTL and getting a new Ryker.

I bought the RTL in hopes of doing more touring. I really liked touring on my GS1250 but unfortunately I need to be on three wheels now. After almost two years of ownership I realized I didn't enjoy cruising on the Spyder. I liked the freedom of my adventure bike off tarmac. I had a hard time transitioning into hours of just eating up pavement. Because of this I mainly just rode my Spyder around town or on small trips. The Ryker seemed to be a lot more appealing for that.

Fast Forward to the next weekend 7/16 I go back to the dealer on my Spyder seeing if a deal could be made. I walked in and all Rykers are off the floor. I thought maybe they all sold during the week. I found my sales guy and found out they pulled them all of the floor on 7/14 for the recall. I decided to go to lunch and think about what I wanted to do. I will say I had already been thinking about the issues I had at a couple of dealers and there common issues with service. IMO the dealer network and services departments are not as good and accommodating as other brands. Then I pulled up some recalls over the last few years and it became clear that a product that has been out this long with a brand this old had more issue then what I felt comfortable with. I know that is a very objective statement. I went back and got a very very good offer to buy my Spyder. Called the wife to pick me up with my new check in hand and no new Ryker.

I enjoyed the mods and work I did to it. I like knowing that when going to a gas station it could take longer with everyone around me asking questions about it. Maybe one day I will own on again.

I have a few parts I will be listing here later this week. I have some Lamonster Highway pegs, a pedal commander, and the Deep Marsala Red rear panel.

Side note. I got the LSV my wife wanted to get around town. Its a new Icon i60L.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schreckftw View Post
    After visiting a somewhat local dealer on 7/9/22 looking at LSVs I noticed they had a few new 22 Rykers in stock. They had two Rallys in stock and I really liked them. That led to me thinking about trading in or selling my 21 RTL and getting a new Ryker.

I bought the RTL in hopes of doing more touring. I really liked touring on my GS1250 but unfortunately I need to be on three wheels now. After almost two years of ownership I realized I didn't enjoy cruising on the Spyder. I liked the freedom of my adventure bike off tarmac. I had a hard time transitioning into hours of just eating up pavement. Because of this I mainly just rode my Spyder around town or on small trips. The Ryker seemed to be a lot more appealing for that.

Fast Forward to the next weekend 7/16 I go back to the dealer on my Spyder seeing if a deal could be made. I walked in and all Rykers are off the floor. I thought maybe they all sold during the week. I found my sales guy and found out they pulled them all of the floor on 7/14 for the recall. I decided to go to lunch and think about what I wanted to do. I will say I had already been thinking about the issues I had at a couple of dealers and there common issues with service. IMO the dealer network and services departments are not as good and accommodating as other brands. Then I pulled up some recalls over the last few years and it became clear that a product that has been out this long with a brand this old had more issue then what I felt comfortable with. I know that is a very objective statement. I went back and got a very very good offer to buy my Spyder. Called the wife to pick me up with my new check in hand and no new Ryker.

I enjoyed the mods and work I did to it. I like knowing that when going to a gas station it could take longer with everyone around me asking questions about it. Maybe one day I will own on again.

I have a few parts I will be listing here later this week. I have some Lamonster Highway pegs, a pedal commander, and the Deep Marsala Red rear panel.

Side note. I got the LSV my wife wanted to get around town. Its a new Icon i60L.
    Good for you ...... can I ask what you got for it ???? ..... thanks .... Mike

Spyder Garage

"Fast Forward to the next weekend 7/16 I go back to the dealer on my Spyder seeing if a deal could be made. I walked in and all Rykers are off the floor. I thought maybe they all sold during the week. I found my sales guy and found out they pulled them all of the floor on 7/14 for the recall."

Interesting. It was my understanding that only RT's & F3's were subject to the recall? Maybe I missed something?
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Whoops, my bad. I see that the Ryker recall is for handlebar bolts, not the drive sprocket.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schreckftw View Post

I'm interested in the rear panel.
    Frank Ferrante
    2022 Can Am Spyder RT Limited Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting post, interesting perspective. I certainly agree, I think the Rotax engine is rock solid, the thing has been around for a very long time. BRP makes so many recreational products they cannot keep up with any one product as in research and development, attention to detail, electronics....Having said that, it's only my opinion, not beating on BRP for sure, 'cause I like my 2020 RTL, it has not failed to get me from here to there, not once. I think every motorcycle brand has it's problems and that certainly includes the trike conversions for sure. Spyder is right up there at the top when compared to the 'builds'. If I could grumble about one thing, it would be 'service'. I won't go into all that, all brands have that problem.