Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Mounted officer ( horse cop ) chases thief - VIDEO

Sorry I can't give a LINK but I googled it ....... (see next post)

Then back in the late 60's early 70's I was a NYC Mounted officer and did chase and catch a few suspects during my career. ..... The stable I worked from was near Times Square .... During one of the " Hooker " purges, ( they gave you an hour of vacation for everyone you arrested ) ....I arrested one and she refused to walk to the police station ( for booking ). So I told her she didn't have a choice and I would happily hand-cuff her to the Stirrup and drag her if she wished to do it that way ..... Although she was a bit " hefty " my horse weighed 1200 lb. and wouldn't have any problem moving her ..... Hope you got a chuckle from that ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-21-2022 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Link ref

Spyder Garage

There's this one from 16 June 2022:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wPnK_LZvJnE
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    There's this one from 16 June 2022:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wPnK_LZvJnE
    Yep that's the one ..... thanks Peter for posting the LINK ..... I loved that job but I wanted to start a family and wasn't going to do it NYC , so I moved to Vermont joined the Police in Montpelier and retired 27 years later .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike.. just curious…. Do those city horses have a special shoe other than a regular metal horse shoe?
    I am thinking maybe some kind of rubber to keep the horse from slipping on the concrete,, and to also provide some cushion for his joints for the long hours on that hard concrete.. ?
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    Mike.. just curious…. Do those city horses have a special shoe other than a regular metal horse shoe?
    I am thinking maybe some kind of rubber to keep the horse from slipping on the concrete,, and to also provide some cushion for his joints for the long hours on that hard concrete.. ?
    Interesting question with a lot of answers ..... I had two horses during my career there .... the first one was an older horse ( I was a Newbie ) that I nick-named Old Slap & Slide ... because that was His gait .... He was the only horse in Mounted that walked that way .... I asked the Farrier ( the dept. had two full time men ) ... about using rubber coated shoes on my horse " Enrico Catalano " ... He told me the Horse would come up lame if not actually break a leg using rubber shoes. He knew how Enrico walked, and He said rubber would cripple Him .... There were only a few horses that used rubber coated shoes and that was a problem because they needed new shoes quite often. Most of the horses just had regular shoes, some of them were SHIMMED to improve their Gait .... A few had BORIUM welded to the shoe, but not many. .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-22-2022 at 05:11 PM. Reason: horse...

Spyder Garage

Hey Carla,

Like Mike, I too was fortunate enough to earn a living on the back of a horse for a while. Only I didn't get to chase bad guys, just bad cows! But I did participate in lots of local parades on city streets. No special shoes were ever used, at least on my horse. I rode across rocky rivers, up and down steep trails, through rocky terrain and on concrete without issue. Looking back, it's pretty amazing how well we got along. A lot of trust develops between horse and rider. Most enjoyable job!
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies guys.
    An old, bad memory inspired this question.
    My grandfather sold a dam nice heavy-duty 1/2 Morgan-1/2 Quarter Horse to a young lady who decided to ride him in a small town parade. Friends told us that, obviously to gain attention and admiration from the crowd, she held him back and was “smarting” around with him, gigging him with spurs and making him dance in place… then decided to put him in a lope to catch up to her place in the parade.. yep… he slipped and fell on both front knees.. HARD…. Threw her off into the crowd. The local trainer/shoer we knew said that fall pretty-much ruined him for anything more than a walk around the pasture.. horse was only 6 years old at the time.
    Consequently I was always afraid to cross over pavement with my horses.
    Every time I see a police horse video I am surprised at how you don’t see them slipping and sliding around on the concrete. So this is the first time I have had the opportunity to ask a police horseman.
    Last edited by Pooch; 07-23-2022 at 06:04 AM.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...