Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    I think we’re making a mountain out of a mole hill. I bought a new rally on June 30, 2022. This was two weeks before the recall. I was on a long-distance trip on my previous ryker and ran into mechanical difficulties 1000 miles from home. To get the replacement part necessary for the fix, it was going to take a week and I did not have a week to sit during my vacation. So, I traded my 2019 for a 2022 - both Rallys.

So, I traded on the spot and continued on my trip. Since then I have 4500 miles on this new Ryker. No issues whatsoever. I have an appointment for the recall for this coming Friday but because I did not want to park the bike, I simply went to my neighborhood Ace Hardware store and purchased an 8x100 Hex flange head bolt and replaced the suspect Bolt and torqued to 18 pounds. No big deal.

Now you may want to sit down if you’re not already sitting - The cost of the replacement bolt was $.24. They considered general hardware and price all individual pieces cheap.
    I have to agree, I think BRP is just trying to get ahead of a potential problem and playing it safe.
    Was the bolt you pulled steel or aluminum?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    I have to agree, I think BRP is just trying to get ahead of a potential problem and playing it safe.
    Was the bolt you pulled steel or aluminum?
    Others have talked about the BOLT possibly being Aluminum ..... Professional Bicycle racers who think in terms of GRAMS for weight saving wouldn't use an aluminum bolt for any critical component on their bike...... Aluminum for a Steering bolt is just not even possible ...... JMHO ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Steel
    RykerUSA
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GrandPubah916 View Post
    Let me ask you guys a quick question. Would you agree that the 2022 Can-Am Ryker rally and the 2021 Can-Am Ryker rally, with the exception of cosmetics, are exactly the same bike?
    Keith
    2022 has the different wheels, which could potentially be a difference in mass.
    2022 also has remote adjusters for the front shocks.

Later,
    EV
    2022 Ryker Sport, 2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X, 2007 Buell Firebolt XB9R, 2023 KTM 390 Duke

Spyder Garage

I don't think there is a any of steering stress on that bolt.
    Watch the video that EchoVictor put up (#44) and at the 2:20 mark it shows the handlebar mount being installed.
    It has large piece that inserts into the steering shaft. There is a tab that fits into a slot. This is were steering input would go.
    All the bolt does is hold everything down.
    If the bolt broke for any reason, the mount might vibrate up and disengage the tab.

Spyder Garage

Mine was being assembled at the dealer when the recall came in. They saw it and I’m first in line to get my new bike done.

Spyder Garage

What I can't wrap my head around is they're saying the new bolt is 5mm shorter, but the same amount of threads. That just doesn't make sense to me. Purchased a new bolt at Ace Hardware, just for giggles, then pulled out the old bolt. Same size, same thread, no bottoming out and the threads appeared to be fully engaged. Dealerships in California still giving me the runaround to get this taken care of. Concerned I may just be taking my life in my hands if I ride my Rally before I get this done.

Keith
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-04-2022 at 12:12 PM. Reason: treads - threads %-)
    2022 Can-am Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Just some info if needed.

steering head is a blind hole.

hole depth with bar clamp installed.
    78.48mm or 3.090"
    over all depth of the tapped hole is 4.170" or 105.9 mm.

stock bolt length
    99.06 mm or 3.90"
    bolt threads end at 77.9mm or 3.070".

this puts the last thread of the bolt near the starting thread of the steering head clamp.This could give a false torque when installing.

Spyder Garage

Mine will be replaced in the morning. Also getting first service done as well. Plus they have to fix my odometer on mine. After the warranty repair, my odometer went back to zero. So now I'm off on miles.
    2019 Rally , Black with red panels

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zusafek View Post
    Mine will be replaced in the morning. Also getting first service done as well. Plus they have to fix my odometer on mine. After the warranty repair, my odometer went back to zero. So now I'm off on miles.
    If your Ryker odo is anything like the odo on the Spyder, then I reckon you'll be stuck with that! . According to many dealers & BRP themselves, it seems that their electronic dash modules have no facility to modify the odo reading, and once they revert to zero or get replaced, you're starting from Zero again no matter what you do!

Altho there should be a sticker affixed to the back/internals telling the world that your odo was reset/replaced at whatever your milage was when that occurred, cos certainly here in Oz & I'm pretty sure in your part of the world too, it's illegal to sell a vehicle with a doctored odo, so you hafta be able to attest exactly how far the vehicle with said odo has travelled from the factory, hence the sticker.

So I'll certainly be interested to hear if your dealer DOES have some method to reset yours to its previous milage.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Yep. They put a sticker inside because they can't change the odometer to the correct mileage. Meh. Not a big deal. But got the bolt replaced and all good now.
    2019 Rally , Black with red panels