Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

They are probably cleaning the threads to get rid of any locking compound residue in the treads.
    Otherwise you will not get a proper torque reading.
    Thread depth should be 1 1/2 times the thread width. ie 1" bolt should go in 1 1/2"s.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    If I had a 2022, I would remove the bolt and buy one 5mm or maybe 10 mm longer.

Probably use grade 8.8, as 10.9 might be overkill for the receiving end.
    When I picked mine up yesterday, the service guy showed me a replacement bolt. The little baggie didn't say what the length was, but the head of the new bolt was definitely marked grade 8.8.

Later,
    EV
    2022 Ryker Sport, 2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X, 2007 Buell Firebolt XB9R, 2023 KTM 390 Duke

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

EV, do you know if replacement was longer or shorter than original?

Erik Buell should appreciate you!
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Didn't have the original bolt to compare to. We were at the service desk and he had a handful of the replacements in their little plastic baggies sitting there.

Bag was marked with a Can-Am logo, part number and price ($2.95!), but nothing about length.

Later,
    EV

P.S. Have met and chatted with Erik on several occasions. Really sharp dude.
    2022 Ryker Sport, 2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X, 2007 Buell Firebolt XB9R, 2023 KTM 390 Duke

Spyder Garage

EV, do you know if replacement was longer or shorter than original?

Erik Buell should appreciate you!

The new bolt is reported to be 5mm shorter with the same length of threads. Apparently to old bolts were bottoming out and instead of torquing the stuff together were just being torqued against the bottom.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    The new bolt is reported to be 5mm shorter with the same length of threads. Apparently to old bolts were bottoming out and instead of torquing the stuff together were just being torqued against the bottom.....
    Makes sense that some of them would be a problem and some not.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

The bolt length (too short or too long?) does not correspond to the NHTSA link in post #2, nor the BRP link in post #3.

So, is the truth that (1) bolts have actually broken or (2) the steering has loosened from (a) bolt bottoming out or (b) bolts have stripped threads from insufficient engagement?
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110

Spyder Garage

The recall says about 50 bolts broke while the techs were installing as part of the assembly and 2 while people were driving with a sprained ankle or something? I waited out the hot spell and my dealer did mine the day I called tuesday.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

you were lucky. My dealer is saying late August mid September to just receive the part. Thanks to this forum and several you-tube videos I would never have known about this. I haven't received and formal notification. Wish I could just go out and buy the bolt and fix it myself.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-28-2022 at 07:43 PM. Reason: by - buy

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GrandPubah916 View Post
    you were lucky. My dealer is saying late August mid September to just receive the part. Thanks to this forum and several you-tube videos I would never have known about this. I haven't received and formal notification. Wish I could just go out and buy the bolt and fix it myself.
    Who is telling you that you can't buy a higher grade bolt and fix it yourself ????? ...... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-28-2022 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

I currently have no idea what type to get or where to get it.
    2022 Can-am Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GrandPubah916 View Post
    ...... Wish I could just go out and buy the bolt and fix it myself.
    Remove yours, measure length, inspect if either minimal thread contact or bottoming.
    Then get longer (105 mm?) or shorter (95mm?) from M8-1.25x100 (8mm - 1.25 pitch x 100 mm) grade 8.8

Probably not at Home Deport or Lowes, but very likely at Ace or TrueValue or autoparts
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-28-2022 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Has anyone measured the depth of the hole and the depth of the thread.
    Also some have said the bolts are breaking and some have said the threads a are striping on the bolt.
    Anyone know for sure.

Spyder Garage

Remove yours, measure length, inspect if either minimal thread contact or bottoming.
    Then get longer (105 mm?) or shorter (95mm?) from M8-1.25x100 (8mm - 1.25 pitch x 100 mm) grade 8.8

Probably not at Home Deport or Lowes, but very likely at Ace or TrueValue or autoparts
    You have to realize that many Ryker riders are not very mechanically inclined. Doing this task may frighten them to high Haven. Some have never changed their oil (correctly), or even had greasy knuckles. They may want to invite a friend or neighbor along that knows how to read his torque wrench.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    You have to realize that many Ryker riders are not very mechanically inclined. Doing this task may frighten them to high Haven. Some have never changed their oil (correctly), or even had greasy knuckles. They may want to invite a friend or neighbor along that knows how to read his torque wrench.
    Yes, and a major benefit of a forum for those who are mechanically inclined.
    My post #62 response was in answer to post #59: "Wish I could just go out and by the bolt and fix it myself."

To fulfill that wish, the bolt can be removed, length measured, then inspected if either minimal thread contact or bottoming.

UPDATE: NHTSA BULLETIN IDENTIFIES BRP PART NUMBER 230680054 AS M8X100 AND REPLACEMENT AS 5 MM SHORTER = 95 MM.
    IT DOES NOT IDENTIFY NEW PART NUMBER

If a grade 8.8, 8 mm - 1.25 pitch, 95 mm length not available at Ace or TrueValue, order from McMaster-Carr.

McMaster part number 91280A174 is "Medium-Strength Class 8.8 Steel Hex Head Screw, Zinc-Plated, M8 x 1.25 mm Thread Size, 95 mm Long"
    Package of 10 for $8.85

Since shorter is the answer, then your suggestion of a washer/spacer in post 4 of this thread may be an alternative to a shorter bolt

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...loose-knocking

UPDATE: NHTSA BULLETIN IDENTIFIES BRP PART NUMBER 230680054 AS M8X100 AND REPLACEMENT AS 5 MM SHORTER = 95 MM.
    IT DOES NOT IDENTIFY NEW PART NUMBER

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...mCZPyoh5pyDf1f

Link excerpts:

Those vehicles have a handlebar stem bolt that may not have sufficient thread length
    for a proper assembly by dealers during the predelivery preparation. They may also
    have debris in the steering column before the assembly. Not all MY 2022 vehicle
    identification numbers are included as some will be sent to dealer without the bolt or
    already with the new bolt. The preliminary quantity of vehicles in this population is

Production Dates : FEB 25, 2021 - JUL 05, 2022

The handlebar stem bolt does not have a sufficient thread length to account for
    all the tolerances stack of the assembly. Also, debris may be present in the
    steering columns which could interfere with a proper assembly. This assembly
    is performed by dealers during the predelivery preparation.

Component Name 1 : HEX. FLANGED SCREW M8 X 100 (old)
    Component Description : Handlebar Stem Bolt
    Component Part Number : 230680054 (old)

The assembly of the handlebar stem bolt is done by the dealers during the predelivery preparation.
    From January 2022 to April 2022, BRP received reports from dealers that this assembly could be hard to install
    and some of them were reporting that they were breaking the bolt during the process.
    In May 2022, BRP received 2 reports of broken bolt while riding. One of the 2 resulted in a loss of control and
    the driver had a sprained ankle.

BRP reviewed all the reports to identify the root cause as it had not broken during the predelivery assembly by
    the dealers. BRP was looking for possible variations in the assembly process procedures or in the parts
    involved in this assembly.

It was found that starting from MY22, the steering stem dimensions were affected by a manufacturing process
    change of the steering stem. Although, it was still within tolerances, the dimensions were significantly different,
    and the handlebar stem bolt’s threads could be too short to ensure a good assembly. It is also possible that
    debris are present in the steering column before the assembly.

Consequently, if there is a sudden loss of friction between the cones while cornering, the trajectory of the
    vehicle could be affected following a Vehicle Stability System intervention due to the play created between the
    stem and the steering column.

With all the information collected and analyzed, BRP decided on July 7, 2022, that it had enough information to
    report and wants to proceed with the repair of the affected vehicles population with a safety recall.
    In the United States, BRP received 56 reports of broken bolts during the predelivery preparation , 2 while riding and 3 with an unknown riding condition. The accident report was from the United States.

The solution is to clean the threads of the steering column and to install
    the new steering stem bolt.
    The safety recall will be launched by the end of this week. The repair
    procedure and the parts will be available at the time of launch.

The new handlebar stem bolt is 5mm shorter with the same length of
    threads as the previous one. The 5mm reduction provides the necessary
    space in the threads to absorb all the manufacturing tolerances of the
    components in the assembly. Other differences (washer, scotchgrip) are
    only present to allow prompt parts availabilities but are not related to the
    recall issue. BRP will also instruct its dealers to clean the threads of the
    steering column before the installation of the new bolt.

As part of the normal process, this assembly is not made during
    production. The vehicle is shipped with a kit for dealer to complete the
    assembly during the predelivery preparation. Vehicles not included in the
    recall are shipped without any handlebar stem bolt in the kit and dealers
    will later receive the appropriate component. As parts are becoming more
    available, BRP will ship vehicles already with the handlebar stem bolt in
    the kit. The last production date of vehicles included in the recall is July 5,
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 07-29-2022 at 10:04 AM. Reason: NHTSA BULLETIN LOCATED

Spyder Garage

My post #62 response was in answer to post #59: "Wish I could just go out and by the bolt and fix it myself."

To fulfill that wish, the bolt can be removed, length measured, then inspected if either minimal thread contact or bottoming.

If a grade 8.8, 8 mm - 1.25 pitch, 95 or 105 mm length not available at Ace or TrueValue, order from McMaster-Carr.

McMaster part number 91280A174 is "Medium-Strength Class 8.8 Steel Hex Head Screw, Zinc-Plated, M8 x 1.25 mm Thread Size, 95 mm Long"
    Package of 10 for $8.85

If longer is needed, lengths available jump from 100 mm to 110 mm, not finding a 105 mm(checked Grainger, also)

If shorter is the answer, then your suggestion of a washer/spacer in post 4 of this thread is an alternative to a shorter bolt

Meanwhile, the question is still not confirmed if the replacement required is shorter or longer.

If 100 mm bolts were too short, so that only a thread or two engaged, then those threads could have stripped, rather than the full cross-section of the bolt sheared.

If only 110 mm are available, other than from BRP, and 105 mm is ideal, then a spacer or washer(s) under the head would work well and avoid parking for a month or two.
    I don't have a Ryker, so no dog in the hunt ..... Has anyone looked at a parts Fiche', it will tell you the SIZE of the OEM bolt ...... just sayin .... Mike

Spyder Garage

If a grade 8.8, 8 mm - 1.25 pitch, 95 or 105 mm length not available at Ace or TrueValue, order from McMaster-Carr.

Package of 10 for $8.85

If longer is needed, lengths available jump from 100 mm to 110 mm, not finding a 105 mm(checked Grainger, also)

If shorter is the answer, then your suggestion of a washer/spacer in post 4 of this thread is an alternative to a shorter bolt

Meanwhile, the question is still not confirmed if the replacement required is shorter or longer.

If 100 mm bolts were too short, so that only a thread or two engaged, then those threads could have stripped, rather than the full cross-section of the bolt sheared.

If only 110 mm are available, other than from BRP, and 105 mm is ideal, then a spacer or washer(s) under the head would work well and avoid parking for a month or two.
    I removed mine on a 2020 model and blew and cleaned out the hole. Took some calipers and mine read 105mm depth. My bolt is 100mm long and I also added a washer to mine. I'm thinking of a 10.9 strength bolt and do away with the 8.8. I would not go no longer than 100 mm .
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    I removed mine on a 2020 model and blew and cleaned out the hole. Took some calipers and mine read 105mm depth. My bolt is 100mm long and I also added a washer to mine. I'm thinking of a 10.9 strength bolt and do away with the 8.8. I would not go no longer than 100 mm .
    David
    Is it a blind hole or does something mount up against the other end? I'm asking because blind holes are typically not threaded all the way to the end unless they used a flat bottom tap.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    Is it a blind hole or does something mount up against the other end? I'm asking because blind holes are typically not threaded all the way to the end unless they used a flat bottom tap.
    Who knows. You would think they would use a bottom tap, but would also think they would use good bolts from the factory.
    David

Spyder Garage

I called the BRP phone number right off of the page that talks about the recall. They set me up with a tow to dealership free of charge.

Spyder Garage

I took my 2022 Ryker Sport to Andres Powersports in Montrose, PA today. They replaced my steering stem bolt under recall in about 35 minutes. These folks were very nice to me even though I purchased the Ryker elsewhere. They also can do laser alignments so I'll take mine up in the future to see if they can correct the "Jitterness" on the hiway. On smooth roads, its not too bad handeling but on rough roads (We have too many here in NEPA) it beats me up riding. I came from riding Kawasaki's and lastly, a Suzuki Burgman 400 cc scooter.

Spyder Garage

Anyone know what the torque specs would be on this bolt?
    Last edited by GrandPubah916; 07-30-2022 at 05:53 PM.
    2022 Can-am Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by N3JNX View Post
    I took my 2022 Ryker Sport to Andres Powersports in Montrose, PA today. They replaced my steering stem bolt under recall in about 35 minutes. These folks were very nice to me even though I purchased the Ryker elsewhere. They also can do laser alignments so I'll take mine up in the future to see if they can correct the "Jitterness" on the hiway. On smooth roads, its not too bad handeling but on rough roads (We have too many here in NEPA) it beats me up riding. I came from riding Kawasaki's and lastly, a Suzuki Burgman 400 cc scooter.
    " Jitteriness " ...... I suspect wheel / tire imbalance ..... a good spin balance should fix it .... If you have Kenda tires it could easily be " defective " tire/s ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Let me ask you guys a quick question. Would you agree that the 2022 Can-Am Ryker rally and the 2021 Can-Am Ryker rally, with the exception of cosmetics, are exactly the same bike?
    Keith
    2022 Can-am Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

I think we’re making a mountain out of a mole hill. I bought a new rally on June 30, 2022. This was two weeks before the recall. I was on a long-distance trip on my previous ryker and ran into mechanical difficulties 1000 miles from home. To get the replacement part necessary for the fix, it was going to take a week and I did not have a week to sit during my vacation. So, I traded my 2019 for a 2022 - both Rallys.

So, I traded on the spot and continued on my trip. Since then I have 4500 miles on this new Ryker. No issues whatsoever. I have an appointment for the recall for this coming Friday but because I did not want to park the bike, I simply went to my neighborhood Ace Hardware store and purchased an 8x100 Hex flange head bolt and replaced the suspect Bolt and torqued to 18 pounds. No big deal.

Now you may want to sit down if you’re not already sitting - The cost of the replacement bolt was $.24. They considered general hardware and price all individual pieces cheap.
    Last edited by RykerUSA; 07-31-2022 at 08:59 AM.
    RykerUSA
    2022 Ryker Rally