Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    As I understand, 2 bolts have broken while riding and another 56 have broken while the bikes were being prep'd by dealers.
    So, out of 9,300 bikes, 1 out of 160 produced had the problem. I think that is pretty significant. And, that's not counting bikes that would break in the near future if the bolts are not corrected. I sure wouldn't be riding no matter how much the urge. Just my observation from a sideline viewer..... Jim
    I'm confused .... " 9,300 bikes.... 1 out of 160 had a problem " .... what happened with the other 9140 bikes .... Also as to bolt strength, I have seen them rated at ... 10.3 .... just sayin .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm confused .... " 9,300 bikes.... 1 out of 160 had a problem " .... what happened with the other 9140 bikes .... Also as to bolt strength, I have seen them rated at ... 10.3 .... just sayin .... Mike
    Mike,

As I see it, there were 9,300 bikes produced. A total of 58 of those bikes had bolts break. 9,300 divided by 58 = one out of every 160 bikes (so far) have had bolts break. I haven't seen anything about any particular year, run date, or anything else pinpointing which bikes have faulty bolts. I believe all bikes are suspect which is why they are all being recalled. BRP does not want people riding their bikes until the repair is complete. That's because of the potential of more bolts breaking. I sure wouldn't want to be aggressively going through the twisties or riding the interstate and have the steering bolt suddenly break. If I owned a Ryker, I would not ride it until it is repaired..... Jim
    Last edited by canamjhb; 07-22-2022 at 07:18 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Mike,

As I see it, there were 9,300 bikes produced. A total of 58 of those bikes had bolts break. 9,300 divided by 58 = one out of every 160 bikes (so far) have had bolts break. I haven't seen anything about any particular year, run date, or anything else pinpointing which bikes have faulty bolts. I believe all bikes are suspect which is why they are all being recalled. BRP does not want people riding their bikes until the repair is complete. That's because of the potential of more bolts breaking. I sure wouldn't want to be aggressively going through the twisties or riding the interstate and have the steering bolt suddenly break. If I owned a Ryker, I would not ride it until it is repaired..... Jim
    Thank you .... now it makes sense ....... Do you think it's possible that the Dealer assemblers were OVER-torquing them ???? PMK just posted an excellent explanation about what over-torquing does .......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike,

This recall is for 2022 Rykers. I don't understand why you don't think a particular year is pinpointed. I don't think this defective bolt is a concern for Ryker owners of all model years.
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    To be fair. The 'Exploding' Pinto was a focused hit piece. Many cars of that era had similar, rear mounted fuel tanks, resulting in some fiery crash scenarios. While not necessarily as safe as it might have been, it was not worse than others in the field. And Ford did extensive testing to get the design certified by DOT.

The people who did the exploding Pinto video destroyed several Pintos with ever increasing speeds and destruction in attempt to create the desired explosion. But without success. Frustrated, they mounted a remotely triggered ignition device and proceeded with a final run at a speed and force which collapsed the rear of the Pinto all the way into the back seat. Fuel spewed everywhere, but still no explosion as the larger car pushed the Pinto along. At which point they triggered the ignition device they had rigged. This is why the resulting explosion was so delayed in the video. The previous videos where no fire resulted were not shown or mentioned. Making it appear as if their first attempt was successful. In other words. It was agenda, not scientific test, driven.

None of this was revealed until after the law suit against Ford was settled.

Not exactly a fair and equitable way to determine fault.

Thank you for pointing this out, Ron. I remember the original story and when it was discredited. It was absolutely criminal what those people did to falsify the crash test results.
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
    This recall is for 2022 Rykers. I don't understand why you don't think a particular year is pinpointed. I don't think this defective bolt is a concern for Ryker owners of all model years.
    Yes, you are correct. In my foggy minded haste, I got too far ahead of the facts. Sorry If I caused concern needlessly. I'll go sit in my corner now.....
    Last edited by canamjhb; 07-22-2022 at 11:52 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I'm going to call my dealer today. I'll see if they'll pick mine up without charging me. I really hope BRP isn't leaving the tow expense to us. It's pretty crappy to tell us not to ride and then not pay for a tow.

I'm waiting on a new oil filler/dipstick neck to come in for warranty repair as it is.
    2022 Spyder F3S pilot

"SpyderWings" on YT

Spyder Garage

I spoke with Elk Grove Powersport on Saturday. They're telling me it could be up to a month before they get the part. I'm sure I'm going to have to pay to have it towed either way. I'm sure if they did cover the tow it would be a reimbursement. Best of luck to everyone.Wish I could just order the part and do it myself.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GrandPubah916 View Post
    I spoke with Elk Grove Powersport on Saturday. They're telling me it could be up to a month before they get the part. I'm sure I'm going to have to pay to have it towed either way. I'm sure if they did cover the tow it would be a reimbursement. Best of luck to everyone.Wish I could just order the part and do it myself.
    Just buy some 10.3 Grade bolts and have total peace of mind .... they arn't cheap but they will solve the issue .....JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-25-2022 at 03:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GrandPubah916 View Post
    I spoke with Elk Grove Powersport on Saturday. They're telling me it could be up to a month before they get the part.
    Ouch. I already got the call from my dealer that mine is fixed, so it sure seems to be hit-or-miss on which dealers got parts and which didn't.

Maybe try another dealer?

Later,
    EV
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-26-2022 at 03:13 AM. Reason: got got?? ;-)
    2022 Ryker Sport, 2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X, 2007 Buell Firebolt XB9R, 2023 KTM 390 Duke

Spyder Garage

U turn Fasteners has a 10.9 replacement

Spyder Garage

Just buy some 10.3 Grade bolts and have total peace of mind .... they arn't cheap but they will solve the issue .....JMHO .... Mike
    (1) M8 X 100mm & DON'T FORGET to pick up a (1) M8 washer....you might need it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    (1) M8 X 100mm & DON'T FORGET to pick up a (1) M8 washer....you might need it.
    The replacemment bolt is 95mm so it doesn't pancake the bottom threads if they over torque it. Sometimes the 100mm would catch shavings on the bottom so they are told to clean the hole.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-26-2022 at 03:14 AM. Reason: doesn,t ;-)

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Thank you .... now it makes sense ....... Do you think it's possible that the Dealer assemblers were OVER-torquing them ???? PMK just posted an excellent explanation about what over-torquing does .......... Mike
    Someone please help us out? Someone mentioned in their "reply" that the original 2022 bolts were made out of Aluminum....whaaat! I can't find that reply now...was I dreaming? Anyway maybe BRP changed the material (supply shortage?) and didn't change the torque specs. Does anyone have a detailed manual for the 2022 Rykers. Look up the torque spec. of the bolt and compare to the 2019 spec. Maybe BRP don't use torque wrenches when they are behind schedule.
    This screenshot is from a 2019 manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-26-2022 at 03:16 AM. Reason: there - their ;-)

Spyder Garage

No way they were made from aluminum. Can you find where you read that?

Spyder Garage

I did see this guy claim the bolts are aluminum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Pj...l=ChipMitchell

I'm not happy that I have taken my wife for a ride on a Ryker that might break its handlebar bolt.
    Last edited by JonShadow; 07-26-2022 at 06:29 AM.
    2022 Spyder F3S pilot

"SpyderWings" on YT

Spyder Garage

I can't see BRP using Aluminum to save money, costs a lot more than steel.
    As I said before this is a supplier issue.
    I bet these guys make more than one type of bolt for BRP and will be bending over backwards to correct the problem.
    Believe me you don't want to be on the customers bad side with something like this.

Spyder Garage

I do engineering work for an FDA listed electronics manufacturer. We buy parts from suppliers regularly. We sometimes find that suppliers have sent us parts that our quality assurance people find are out of spec. We issue harsh corrective action requirements to those suppliers. I expect that is happening right now at BRP.
    2022 Spyder F3S pilot

"SpyderWings" on YT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    Maybe BRP don't use torque wrenches when they are behind schedule.
    No OEM would skip torque controls to meet a schedule. That's just asking for a lawsuit.

Besides, BRP doesn't run this bolt down themselves. It's part of the Pre-Deilvery Inspection/Assembly that's performed by the dealer. Bolt rundown is at 2:50 of this PDI video;

Later,
    EV
    Last edited by EchoVictor; 07-26-2022 at 08:58 AM.
    2022 Ryker Sport, 2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X, 2007 Buell Firebolt XB9R, 2023 KTM 390 Duke

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EchoVictor View Post
    No OEM would skip torque controls to meet a schedule. That's just asking for a lawsuit.

Besides, BRP doesn't run this bolt down themselves. It's part of the Pre-Deilvery Inspection/Assembly that's performed by the dealer. Bolt rundown is at 2:50 of this PDI video;

Later,
    EV
    Interesting, thanks for sharing.
    It looks like it is a retaining bolt and just holds the handle bar bracket down on the shaft.
    Not a lot of stress on the bolt itself, or a very high torque setting for the bolt.
    With production tracking, they can track down to the time a part was made.
    I think BRP pulled the whole run, just to be safe.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-26-2022 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display & tack - track ;-)

Spyder Garage

Read somewhere that the bolts were good, just short.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I've tried several and they are all telling me that I need to go to the dealership I purchased the Ryker from. I would love to go to another, more competent dealership

Spyder Garage

You can take your ride anywhere you want as long it’s an authorized BRP dealer. Being that said they may put you on a back burner and take care of their regulars first.
    22 RTL Hyper Silver. BajaRon sway bar, Lamonster bar riser, belt tensioner and big brake pedal…more to come.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Appears this issue is a couple years old
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...olt-Broken-how

According to RideApart, the issue is thread length

On July 13, 2022, Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) issued a recall for certain 2022 Can-Am Ryker trikes. The issue? The bolt that connects the handlebar stem to the steering is too short, which could cause the bolt to break due to insufficient thread length. This could cause loss of control and, in worse case scenarios, a crash.

BRP states that 9,353 2022 Rykers are involved in the recall, which is number 2022-16. The company advises new Ryker owners to park their trikes and not ride them until the recall remedy can be performed. To fix the problem, dealers will remove the insufficient bolt, clean the threads in the steering column, and install a new, proper steering stem bolt—all free of charge.

Ryker owners will receive a notification letter sometime in late July or early August to inform them of the recall. More proactive owners can contact BRP customer service at 888-272-9222 or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) at 888-327-4236 for more information about the recall.
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 07-26-2022 at 06:49 PM.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The bolt, BRP part # 230680054 is M8x100 for 2019, 2020 and 2021
    Could not find if 2022 is shorter.
    Torque is only 18 ft #

If I had a 2022, I would remove the bolt and buy one 5mm or maybe 10 mm longer.

Probably use grade 8.8, as 10.9 might be overkill for the receiving end.

However, after re-reading this thread and noting Sarge707's comments:

"The replacemment bolt is 95mm so it doesn't pancake the bottom threads if they over torque it. Sometimes the 100mm would catch shavings on the bottom so they are told to clean the hole"

...do not now know if it should be 95mm or 105 mm...if RideApart is incorrect.

Sarge, what is your source on that?
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 07-26-2022 at 07:11 PM.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black