Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ..EMERGENCY .. for 2022 RYKER owners - recall on Handle-bar bolts!

I just heard this on the news ....NHSTA ... just said certain 2022 Rykers are now on DO NOT RIDE Recall for a possible HANDLE-BAR BOLT issue ..... Call your dealer immediately to verify ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-20-2022 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly mention purpose.... ;-)

Spyder Garage
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    Here is the link from BRP, https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...g-control.html
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the heads-up guys. Just talked to my dealer and need to get mine over there ASAP. They have 10 replacement bolts, and four are already spoken for.

Said no appointments, just first-come-first serve....

Later,
    EV
    2022 Ryker Sport, 2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X, 2007 Buell Firebolt XB9R, 2023 KTM 390 Duke

Spyder Garage

I had that problem with my 2021 Ryker Rally.
    U.S.Marine Corps
    Vietnam-Veteran 68/69

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    Thanks for the research and posting that LINK ........... Mike

Spyder Garage

There's a recall on the locking front latch as well. Seems it doesn't always unlock.

Spyder Garage

Default 2022 Ryker owners - STOP Riding

Just read this in today's (7/21/2022) Long Island Newsday.
    2022-07-21 Newsday Ryker warning.jpg

Spyder Garage

Holy ****, Batman! Gotta wonder how something like THAT sneaks through.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-21-2022 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Removed political/racial comment....
    2022 RT S2S
    It's easier to get forgiveness than permission

Spyder Garage

I love my Spyders and Rykers. They are fine machines. But it continues to amaze me that, from the beginning, BRP has cut corners in critical, usually very inexpensive but critical areas, that blacken the eye of the finished product and damage the image of what, otherwise, could be a much more appealing machine. From the original oil filters which were so poorly and cheaply constructed that they were destroying engines which had to be replaced on warranty, spark plug wires which deteriorated quickly, through to this current situation. It is truly sad.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-21-2022 at 04:16 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Do not ride your 2 month old Ryker.
    You must have it towed.
    No, BRP will not reimburse you for the tow bill.

Quite a company.

Tim Bambrick
    Monkton, Maryland

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I love my Spyders and Rykers. They are fine machines. But it continues to amaze me that, from the beginning, BRP has cut corners in critical, usually very inexpensive areas, that blacken the eye of the finished product and damage the image of what, otherwise, could be a much more appealing machine. From the original oil filters which were so poorly and cheaply constructed that they were destroying engines which had to be replaced on warranty, spark plug wires which deteriorated quickly through to this current situation, it is truly sad.

Spyder Garage

This issue has been a big topic on Facebook Ryker groups. I feel so bad for those folks who waited and waited for their Rykers only now being not able to enjoy them. Unbelievable.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tbambrick View Post
    You must have it towed.

Quite a company.
    Looking through the recall details, it looks like an infant mortality problem (if it's going to fail, it's going to fail quickly). Main force that would shear a bolt like that is a really heavy steering input. Since there's no reimbursement for towing, I decided to just be gentle and ride it in this morning. No issues, and it's in the queue for getting fixed. Dealer said it would be about a week to get to it....

Later,
    EV
    Last edited by EchoVictor; 07-21-2022 at 02:05 PM.
    2022 Ryker Sport, 2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X, 2007 Buell Firebolt XB9R, 2023 KTM 390 Duke

Spyder Garage

Another in a long series of dumb practices by BRP. One would think that they would build the best machines possible for their customers. I mean, if an RT only cost $16K rather than $26K and north of that, one might expect issues. But for what we pay for these machines, cheaping out just borders on criminal. Rather than learning from being bitten on the a** by a series of expensive recalls, they just keep churning out machines that are somewhat substandard and/or dangerous. I can only imagine what a wrongful death lawsuit would cost them. Remember the exploding Ford Pinto? Ford was doing then exactly what BRP is doing now. Make money and to h*** with the buyer.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Wow thanks so much for this, i just had my dealer pick mine up, it literally stopped working after 2 hours of owner ship, the day i bought it, and now they had to pick it up again and I haven't even made my first payment, and now this.....wow, i love riding it, but this seems to be a little crazy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    Another in a long series of dumb practices by BRP. One would think that they would build the best machines possible for their customers. I mean, if an RT only cost $16K rather than $26K and north of that, one might expect issues. But for what we pay for these machines, cheaping out just borders on criminal. Rather than learning from being bitten on the a** by a series of expensive recalls, they just keep churning out machines that are somewhat substandard and/or dangerous. I can only imagine what a wrongful death lawsuit would cost them. Remember the exploding Ford Pinto? Ford was doing then exactly what BRP is doing now. Make money and to h*** with the buyer.
    To be fair. The 'Exploding' Pinto was a focused hit piece. Many cars of that era had similar, rear mounted fuel tanks, resulting in some fiery crash scenarios. While not necessarily as safe as it might have been, it was not worse than others in the field. And Ford did extensive testing to get the design certified by DOT.

The people who did the exploding Pinto video destroyed several Pintos with ever increasing speeds and destruction in attempt to create the desired explosion. But without success. Frustrated, they mounted a remotely triggered ignition device and proceeded with a final run at a speed and force which collapsed the rear of the Pinto all the way into the back seat. Fuel spewed everywhere, but still no explosion as the larger car pushed the Pinto along. At which point they triggered the ignition device they had rigged. This is why the resulting explosion was so delayed in the video. The previous videos where no fire resulted were not shown or mentioned. Making it appear as if their first attempt was successful. In other words. It was agenda, not scientific test, driven.

None of this was revealed until after the law suit against Ford was settled.

Not exactly a fair and equitable way to determine fault.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-22-2022 at 07:47 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

If it was mine I’d remove the bolt and replace with an equivalent preferably better grade fastener and ride until the dealer has a replacement.
    22 RTL Hyper Silver. BajaRon sway bar, Lamonster bar riser, belt tensioner and big brake pedal…more to come.

Spyder Garage

I'm not going to blame BRP 100% on this one, here's why and only theories. An outside vendor most likely supplies these bolts to BRP. Then vendor runs out of correct matl. bar stock and substitutes different stock....naughty. Maybe correct matl. but heat treated through (brittle) instead of case hardened (think egg). Maybe the bolts were machined with no or undersized inside radius at under the bolt head or at the end of the threads. Inside sharp corners cause what pro machinist call "stress risers". Maybe all of the above. I wonder if the bolts are all breaking in the same spot. Maybe certain people up there need a touch more education and responsibility. Bolts may not need a Certification of made to spec. Certs. are only pieces of paper anyway (like dollars) and heck...they're not airplane parts!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeXP700 View Post
    If it was mine I’d remove the bolt and replace with an equivalent preferably better grade fastener and ride until the dealer has a replacement.
    Any bolts at supply vendors will have to be recalled also. So maybe ACE is the place!
    Last edited by canamryder; 07-21-2022 at 10:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

Now that we have heard about this, the folks with the bikes they are talking about could just remove the bolt, which I'm thinking has to be easy to get to, and take that bolt and get a replacement (Grade 8) same size, same threads, and it would do it I'm pretty sure. Just an Old Mechanic's idea...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-21-2022 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Removed spaces before punctuation... ;-)
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tbambrick View Post
    You must have it towed.

Quite a company.

Tim Bambrick
    Monkton, Maryland
    Well I think TWO out of 9000 Rykers would NOT cause me to have it towed AT MY EXPENSE ..... JMHO ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    I'm not going to blame BRP 100% on this one, here's why and only theories. An outside vendor most likely supplies these bolts to BRP. Then vendor runs out of correct matl. bar stock and substitutes different stock....naughty. Maybe correct matl. but heat treated through (brittle) instead of case hardened (think egg). Maybe the bolts were machined with no or undersized inside radius at under the bolt head or at the end of the threads. Inside sharp corners cause what pro machinist call "stress risers". Maybe all of the above. I wonder if the bolts are all breaking in the same spot. Maybe certain people up there need a touch more education and responsibility. Bolts may not need a Certification of made to spec. Certs. are only pieces of paper anyway (like dollars) and heck...they're not airplane parts!
    I have to agree with canamryder on this one.
    Having worked in auto parts manufacturing for over thirty years, I have seen things like this before.
    This is a supplier issue that Can-Am had no control over until they were made aware of it.
    I think they are trying to get ahead of it by recalling all Rykers before someone is hurt or killed.
    The supplier will be in for a meeting with BRP to explain themselves and what they are doing to stop it from happening again.
    I know this sucks for those who have Rykers, but I think BRP doing the safe thing by recalling all machines and telling people NOT to ride them until repairs are made.
    When was the last time a car maker told you not to drive their car on a recall.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have no idea what the bolt looks like. At the least, I'd remove the existing bolt and purchase a similar grade 8 bolt. If not, find a commercial bolt supplier and order an appropriate commercial grade 8 bolt.

As has been suggested above.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

As I understand, 2 bolts have broken while riding and another 56 have broken while the bikes were being prep'd by dealers.
    So, out of 9,300 bikes, 1 out of 160 produced had the problem. I think that is pretty significant. And, that's not counting bikes that would break in the near future if the bolts are not corrected. I sure wouldn't be riding no matter how much the urge. Just my observation from a sideline viewer..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi