Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Any thoughts on the 'new' AirHawk Seat Cushions?

I read that Airhawk was sold and the new owners are not producing as quality a product as the previous owners.
    Any thoughts on the new AirHawk?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-19-2022 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

The "new" Air Hawk bladders are now more like a heavy duty air mattress type material, versus the old style butyl rubber type. People still like them, but many claim not as nice. I had a newer style one and it was just OK..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I have a newer one and an old one. Both work just fine.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Airhawk cushions are not for everyone. I bought a set a few years back but did not like the feel of sitting on it, nor did my wife particularly like the one on her seat. I've tried numerous seat cushions to improve the comfort of the seats on many motorcycles, including sheepskin (which I liked but had to remember to remove if rain was expected). A few motorcycles back I tried the Beadrider covers and have stayed with that solution. I transferred the ones from my Goldwing on to my Spyder when I bought an RT a year ago. The hard beads look as if they would be uncomfortable, like sitting on marbles or small stones, but in fact they work very well. An added benefit is that they put a space between the seat itself and your butt, allowing for some air flow and for water to run off during rain without soaking your pants. And if I recall, Beadrider was significantly less costly than the Airhawk product.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Seat beads are very nice. I have this one .. https://www.ebay.com/itm/20208421099...4AAOSwUzNglByF and it works great. That said, I do like my Alaska Leather sheepskin pad even more. Spend the $15 to try beads. What are you really out?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    Airhawk cushions are not for everyone. I bought a set a few years back but did not like the feel of sitting on it, nor did my wife particularly like the one on her seat. I've tried numerous seat cushions to improve the comfort of the seats on many motorcycles, including sheepskin (which I liked but had to remember to remove if rain was expected). A few motorcycles back I tried the Beadrider covers and have stayed with that solution. I transferred the ones from my Goldwing on to my Spyder when I bought an RT a year ago. The hard beads look as if they would be uncomfortable, like sitting on marbles or small stones, but in fact they work very well. An added benefit is that they put a space between the seat itself and your butt, allowing for some air flow and for water to run off during rain without soaking your pants. And if I recall, Beadrider was significantly less costly than the Airhawk product.
    I have worn out a set of Bead Rider beads.... I love them. Put 150K with them on a corbin seat on my Yamaha Venture. Had them on my Harley Road Glide w/ mustang seat (50K) and now on my F3T w/stock seat (10k)..... There is a reason Bead Rider is popular with the Iron Butt Riders...
    Oh, Did I Say I Love them and my A$$ thanks me...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-19-2022 at 11:53 AM. Reason: the - them ;-)
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Spyder Garage

I've put about 7,500 miles on the newer version and have no complaints. I was told that, and am a believer in, less air is better, to much makes it "wobbly"; I felt like I was on the seat, not in it.

I bought a large and a small, and tested each. I opted for the smaller size for a couple of reasons: it supported my "sit bones" while not putting any additional material (and pressure) between the seat and my inner thigh (reducing my nerve pain & cramping), also, the extra space between the front edge of the seat and a little extra height means I'm not sitting on my "stuff".

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

My 1st Airhawk (black) lasted 7 years before it leaked at the base of the stem. I couldn't patch it so I bought the 'new' Airhawk (clear). It lasted 2 years and sprung a leak while on a Tenn. trip. Bought a WildA$$ air cushion and it's been good for 3 years - so far.

As mentioned, the key to the air seat working properly is the amount of air used. You should sink into it and the closest gap between your butt and seat should be ~ 1/4 in when sitting flat. As you lean, the air will be moved to the outer side and your butt will be in contact with the seat for solid connection to the bike.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Spend the $15 to try beads. What are you really out?
    I did. Should know in a week or so. Thx, troop, for the link.

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BCNewell View Post
    I did. Should know in a week or so. Thx, troop, for the link.
    +1 plus 3 extra characters so I can post this lol.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!