Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default What is an ECU worth for a 2014 RTL? How much do you insure it for?

I'm sending my ECU to Wick-It for a Stage 2 flash and was wondering how much to insure it for? Used ones on eBay are about $250 but new ones are around $1000.

Would you buy a used ECU if you had to replace yours? Why or why not?

If you've done this upgrade and sent off your ECU, how much did you insure it for?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'm sending my ECU to Wick-It for a Stage 2 flash and was wondering how much to insure it for? Used ones on eBay are about $250 but new ones are around $1000.

Would you buy a used ECU if you had to replace yours? Why or why not?

If you've done this upgrade and sent off your ECU, how much did you insure it for?
    What does it cost ..... insure it for what You have to pay for re-placement ..... JMHO ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have a spare test ECU with stage 2 flash in it that would fit your Spyder. It would need BUDS to put your DEES code in. Not real sure how that works?
    Dennis

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    I have a spare test ECU with stage 2 flash in it that would fit your Spyder. It would need BUDS to put your DEES code in. Not real sure how that works?
    Dennis
    Thanks for sharing your expertise. I'll keep your offer in mind should something happen to mine in transit. Are you saying that a used one is okay to get, but that either a new or used one would need buds to match it up to my DESS? And, that's it?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I believe any new/different ECU would need to be mated to the machine.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I have shipped many high dollar items in my lifetime. I always insured them for what it would cost me to replace it.
    On something like this I always used next day air so it didn't stand much of a chance of getting lost.

It all comes down to your risk tolerance and ability to replace said item should something happen.

That said, I did have a 2,500.00 item to get lost via UPS. The process is "long" (6 month's) and drawn out. Mere day's before they had to pay me the item was found and delivered. I was out of the use of a truck for 6 months while waiting.
    We did have spares, so it wasn't that big of a deal.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing your expertise. I'll keep your offer in mind should something happen to mine in transit. Are you saying that a used one is okay to get, but that either a new or used one would need buds to match it up to my DESS? And, that's it?
    Yep, it's mated to my 2016L which I sold. Before that it was mated to my 2015 RTL. Originally I had 4 testing ECUs. If your were to plug it in I think you see something about Key?? It's seems to me about info numbers on the ECU label. If it matches it will work.

Spyder Garage

Just send it. Odds are it makes the trip just fine. Worry less, ride more.

Spyder Garage

Can't say I ever lost anything shipped domestically via USPS Priority.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Can't say I ever lost anything shipped domestically via USPS Priority.
    Well I assure it does happen ..... Last year I sent some forms I had to fill out , to my Fund manager..... well USPS lost it - after I spent $10.00 to guarantee it got there ASAP ...... They said tuff diddly and wouldn't refund my money ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

$500 and I got that off Cheap Cycle Parts .COM, but I guess they're no longer in business. I used USPS and tracked it along with a return receipt requested. I asked Wick-It which was the best way to go before I shipped it and they said UPS or USPS were both about the same. They sent it back USPS. You should'a kept wifey's 14 until you got your stage 2 back and installed. LOL Hindsight is 20-20 ain't it? Didn't sleep well until I got mine back, but it was well worth the worry. You're gonna love it when you get it back and get it installed.

Spyder Garage

Shipping Parts,

I must agree that you insure items for the amount that you'd not be willing to pay out of pocket to replace. Having spent most of my life working in environments where time and schedules were of primary import I always consider not only the cost of the bits but what it will take, money wise to make things good again. My example would be you send that used ECU off to be flashed. It gets lost. Now you still want to ride this year so do you go looking for another used one to have flashed or do you just buy new OEM and have it drop-shipped to the firm doing the flash ? What I'm getting at is it's not just about the cost of the part it's everything that goes along with it.

Boy and I totally agree with the idea that sending it next day air is the best when cost is not crazy. Things such as ECU's ship pretty cheap and having them get lost truly sucks.

All IMHO Cheers ! Rich

Spyder Garage

Default Question

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 and was wondering how long the ECU holds up?

The current mileage is close to 30,000.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rich46 View Post
    Shipping Parts, I must agree that you insure items for the amount that you'd not be willing to pay out of pocket to replace. Having spent most of my life working in environments where time and schedules were of primary import I always consider not only the cost of the bits but what it will take, money wise to make things good again. My example would be you send that used ECU off to be flashed. It gets lost. Now you still want to ride this year so do you go looking for another used one to have flashed or do you just buy new OEM and have it drop-shipped to the firm doing the flash ? What I'm getting at is it's not just about the cost of the part it's everything that goes along with it. Boy and I totally agree with the idea that sending it next day air is the best when cost is not crazy. Things such as ECU's ship pretty cheap and having them get lost truly sucks.
    I went UPS ground and insured it for $500. Total was about $27. It got there in 3 days from Utah. Anything faster would have been exorbitantly expensive. As an individual, I don't need to put a value on my wait time, but as a business I would have to consider it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Wah whoo

I went UPS ground and insured it for $500. Total was about $27. It got there in 3 days from Utah.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 and was wondering how long the ECU holds up?

The current mileage is close to 30,000.

Deanna
    Longer than you or I will be around to enjoy them. 100's of K's I suppose/I hope.