Spyder Garage

Default Garmin Zumo XT - how readable; mountable; & lockable are they?

I have a 2016 F3T and am thinking about a GPS I have read the reviews and other information about the XT. I have a couple of questions:

Is it really easy to read the screen during sunny days?

Where have most of the users mounted it?

Is there a type of lock that can be installed so it can be left on the spyder?

Thanks for any information you can provide.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2022 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MNBK View Post
    I have a 2016 F3T and am thinking about a GPS I have read the reviews and other information about the XT. I have a couple of questions:

Is it really easy to read the screen during sunny days?

Where have most of the users mounted it?

Is there a type of lock that can be installed so it can be left on the spyder?

Thanks for any information you can provide.
    I had a 2015 RTL. It is difficult to read in sunlight even with a shade over the top. But, you can bluetooth it to your intercom if you have one and it will speak directions into the intercom. I had it mounted in front between the bars. The mount had a quick release and you could easily take it off and store it in the frunk, back, or side pods and lock things up.

Spyder Garage

Yes there are a number of mount options that either lock or release for said storage elsewhere. I would disagree a little on the visibility in daylight. For me in sunlight here in KS I think it is very visible without any kind of shade, best GPS visibility I've had over phones and other GPS units. It does have a brightness adjustment, make sure it is all the way up.
    2021 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    Yes there are a number of mount options that either lock or release for said storage elsewhere. I would disagree a little on the visibility in daylight. For me in sunlight here in KS I think it is very visible without any kind of shade, best GPS visibility I've had over phones and other GPS units. It does have a brightness adjustment, make sure it is all the way up.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

The XT has the best screen of all the Garmin Zumos. It is much brighter than prior models. The XT has it's down-sides though. It no longer supports TPMS or VIRB cameras And all data transfers are now via wifi - no USB ports.

Locking mounts are available but they are costly. Best to remove and carry or lock in a compartment when leaving the bike.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    I had a 2015 RTL. It is difficult to read in sunlight even with a shade over the top. But, you can bluetooth it to your intercom if you have one and it will speak directions into the intercom. I had it mounted in front between the bars. The mount had a quick release and you could easily take it off and store it in the frunk, back, or side pods and lock things up.
    Are you sure you are referring to the XT, Baron? We get some verrrrry bright summer days out here and I have never had an issue seeing the screen clearly. On my previous 590, yes it was an issue……on the XT, no.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    The XT has the best screen of all the Garmin Zumos. It is much brighter than prior models. The XT has it's down-sides though. It no longer supports TPMS or VIRB cameras And all data transfers are now via wifi - no USB ports.

Locking mounts are available but they are costly. Best to remove and carry or lock in a compartment when leaving the bike.
    I certainly don’t find data transfer via wi-fi a down side, Ray (horses for courses). I drive into my garage, which has a wi-fi extender, and if there are any updates the XT performs them before shutting down. For me, that is a huge bonus as I am always up to date. I agree completely with the “pop it out of the cradle and into a saddlebag” option. I can’t see the need for a lock as the XT is sooooooo easy to remove with a single button.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Here is a link to the Kradellock, a very good GPS lock for the XT: [URL="https://robertbeckerdesign.com/gps-locks/zumo-xt/"]/URL]. You just have to be certain your mount can't be snatched. I have one for my 590 and leave it on the bike all the time except overnighting when on tour.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have a Garmin Zumo 595LM and keep the brightness all the way up with no problems in sunlight..... And we DO have a bit of sunlight here in Arizona. I believe the XT is even better. As for a lock, take a look at Zumolock. Less expensive and every bit effective for use daily. I do remove the GPS for motel overnights. Zumolock is a 2 part locking system. One for the GPS and another for ram mounts. Then you can use one of many options for ram mounting your GPS. If you do decide to order a Zumolock, have patience. They are made in and come from the Netherlands. Good product though. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I’m from Salina, Kansas with lots of bright sunny days. I haven’t had any difficulty seeing the center-mounted screen. It has day, night and automatic modes. You can also adjust the angle of the screen. I quick disconnect mine and put it in the rear case if I leave my Spyder unattended. Hope this helps.
    "The plural of anecdotes is not data." ~M. Dillihunty
    Regards, Jim
    2022 RT Limited , Slingmods Carbon Black

Spyder Garage

The XT has a very bright screen, much better than earlier models - especially the 595 which was among the worst. And the XT most definitely has a USB port through which you can do updates and file transfers in addition to WiFi. USB works perfect on windows computers but is wonky on Macs (I use a program Commander One with the Mac).
    2014 RTS
    2014 RTS SM6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

My Zumo XT is very legible in bright sunlight. I also spent the $$ on a nice Touratech lock. It was $25 cheaper when I bought it. I have no concerns leaving the GPS in the lock. I also use one of these .. https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-KNOB3LU on the RAM arm.
    https://touratech-usa.com/store/Tour...Garmin-Zumo-XT

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Are you sure you are referring to the XT, Baron? We get some verrrrry bright summer days out here and I have never had an issue seeing the screen clearly. On my previous 590, yes it was an issue……on the XT, no.

Pete
    I stand corrected. I had a Zumo 590LM.

Spyder Garage

As for security of the RAM mounts, a cheap way to discourage a casual thief is to replace the wingnut on the arm with a nyloc nut. Granted, it can be un-bolted with tools but so can the RAM mount bolts if mounted to the bars.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    As for security of the RAM mounts, a cheap way to discourage a casual thief is to replace the wingnut on the arm with a nyloc nut. Granted, it can be un-bolted with tools but so can the RAM mount bolts if mounted to the bars.
    Cheap insurance .. https://www.ebay.com/itm/20155343582...3ABFBMsPOM-sJg

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Another huge plus to the XT, if you have a SXS get the Garmin Tread. It is an XT on steroids. Simply move it from mount to mount!!

Spyder Garage

In my opinion, excellent in all aspects
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Like the others have said, the XT screen is easily readable in bright light. I rode Sunday in 96 degree weather with the sun blaring down and not once could I not see it. Best screen on a GPS I have ever seen.

I have it mounted between the bars with the Lamonster riser mount. You do have to glance down a little to see it but it is not bad. THere isn't a good way to mount it above the dash on the newer 2020+ models that I have found.

I don't worry about a lock because it pops right off the mount with one hand with one button and I just toss it in the rear trunk when I want to leave the bike and not worry about it getting stolen.
    2021 Spyder RT-L Deep Marsalsa Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    And we DO have a bit of sunlight here in Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I like that a lot. I've never seen one before. I could design something and 3d print it but for $10 you can't beat this thing.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post

I like that a lot. I've never seen one before. I could design something and 3d print it but for $10 you can't beat this thing.
    That RAM lock is part of what you get when purchasing a Zumolock. I do like not having to worry about my GPS when taking breaks, meal stops, and when the gas station says you need to come inside for a receipt. But it is still easy to remove for overnight motel stays..... Jim
    Last edited by canamjhb; 07-19-2022 at 11:22 PM.
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    That RAM lock is part of what you get when purchasing a Zumolock. I do like not having to worry about my GPS when taking breaks, meal stops, and when the gas station says you need to come inside for a receipt. But it is still easy to remove for overnight motel stays..... Jim
    Is this a zumolock? https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...375305470,cs:1
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Nope. The Zumolock is about half that price. I don't know how to attach stuff here but just google Zumolock.com......
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    These are Zumolocks ... https://www.zumolock.com/index.php/en/purchase/zumolock ... I had a Zumolock prior to to purchasing my Touratech Zumo XT lock. Yes, it is quite a bit pricier, but there is NO comparison in quality and security. The Touratech is like a mini vault.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-20-2022 at 08:50 AM. Reason: their - there ;-)

2022 RT Sea To Sky