Spyder Garage

Default 2021 RT Seat won't release - Any ideas/hints?

2021 Spyder RT, 7500 mi. - I went to check air on my rear shock and fuel up at home. When I turn key to release seat only the left side releases. I can't release the seat to get to anything. Never happened before, worked last time I fueled up. Glad I wasn't on a ride yet. I forced right side as far as I dare, couple inches, couldn't access or see anything. Anxious for a ride before the week heats up more. Any ideas on how to get the right side to release??
    2021 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

On mine, all that latches is the right side. You need to actuate the release (make sure you have the key pressed IN), maybe press down on the right side to take pressure off the latch, then pull up on the right side only.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Good point about latch lock being only on the right side. But I did all you say and more and no release. I've gassed it many times and checked rear shock psi over 7,000 miles and never a problem with a release. Would you say this is a mechanical release vs an electronic one?
    2021 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

What an idiot. I have opened the front so many times when going to the post office that I was insisting on pushing in and turning key to left to open the seat. My dog died this week and I'm just not thinking clearly I guess. He occupies my thoughts so problem solving is not 100% normal yet. I did return to my garage and figured out my mistake. The other thing is due to cycling training for some bike events I haven't ridden Spyder much lately and therefore muscle memory was weak for the seat release. I believe the seat release is mechanical as is the frunk. Thanks for response.
    2021 Spyder RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

LOL You're not the only one who's guilty of that.

Spyder Garage

I did that a couple times when I 1st got my RT. FWIW, you may want to install back-up cable releases for the seat & frunk just in case the key fails to release either.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    What an idiot. I have opened the front so many times when going to the post office that I was insisting on pushing in and turning key to left to open the seat. My dog died this week and I'm just not thinking clearly I guess. He occupies my thoughts so problem solving is not 100% normal yet. I did return to my garage and figured out my mistake. The other thing is due to cycling training for some bike events I haven't ridden Spyder much lately and therefore muscle memory was weak for the seat release. I believe the seat release is mechanical as is the frunk. Thanks for response.
    I hear you ..... sending my deepest sympathy's ..... My Max ( see avatar ) passed several years ago and I haven't forgotten Him ..... Glad you got the seat figured out ..... there are a number of threads about creating an emergency cable release ( I use mine Exclusively ) ..... I haven't seen one for the F-3 models , but it can be adapted from the GS or RT models ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks I"ll check that out.
    2021 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear you lost your dog, Milryder. That is always a tough time.

…….and yep, most of us have been guilty of something like that at some time.
    As an aside, when I got my new Daylong seat on my ‘21 RT, it was too heavy for the seat lift arm, so I disconnected it, and then thought, “since the seat stays down, I may as well leave the seat lock disconnected. I tied the lock open, and use an old t-bar to hold the seat up when fueling. Works a real treat. No more worries about being unable to get at my fuel cap if the lock jams, no need to fit a secondary manual pull opener, and more space under the seat when fueling. Ideal solution for me.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I kinda like that idea. Better than taking off all the tupperware. I can't see a safety issue with that since the opening faces forward.
    Last edited by milryder; 07-18-2022 at 07:10 PM. Reason: add reason
    2021 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Sorry about loosing your friend. I'm sure he left you with so many happy memories to get you through the tough time. Glad you can get under your seat now.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c